Help Planning Disneyland Trip- 2 days or 3?

mickEblu

These are the rides on our must-do list:
DISNEYLAND
Matterhorn (single rider)
Splash Mountain (single rider)
Space Mountain (fastpass)
Indiana Jones Adventure (single rider)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (fastpass)
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice in Wonderland
It's a Small World
Jungle Cruise
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (fastpass)

DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
Red Car Trolley
Monster's Inc.: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue
Guardians of the Galaxy- Mission: Breakout (fastpass)
Frozen- Live at the Hyperion
Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
Radiator Springs Racers (single rider)
Grizzly River Run (single rider)
Soarin' Around the World (fastpass)
California Screamin' (single rider)
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
Toy Story Midway Mania (fastpass)

Is this possible with 2 days, both park hoppers?

Most definitely. And to that I would add that you don't need to do single rider to knock out everything on this list. Enjoy the rides with your mom. Just get to the parks early: one morning get a Space Mountain FP at rope drop and the other morning get a GOTG and RSR at rope drop. I would get the early morning FPs at whatever park doesn't have magic morning and repeat on day 2 so you don't already have an hours worth of hotel guests at the park. With that said, with 2 day park hoppers, I'm not even sure you have to get there at rope drop to get through your list. If you re not a morning person just get to the parks at a reasonable time in the morning and stay late. When are you going? This obviously can have a big impact on crowds.

Now keep in mind that even though you can most likely knock out this list in 2 days, I would still book a third day so you can enjoy some of the smaller details of the parks and not feel like you re in a marathon.

This reminds me, we should create a "Disneyland: it's all in the details" thread or something where can highlight some of the smaller details of the park that tourists/ first timers might miss when they re too busy trying to get on all the rides. When I go to WDW, I would love to have some of this type of info.

mickEblu

Oh ya @Disneylover152 not sure if you are following along on the other thread but they removed the 40 minute "cool down" time for FPs so you can stack multiple FPs now. Especially in the morning. For the rest of the day it stull seems like you can stack multiple FPs for any ride not named RSR, GOTG, Space Mountain and maybe Indy.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
Most definitely. And to that I would add that you don't need to do single rider to knock out everything on this list. Enjoy the rides with your mom. Just get to the parks early: one morning get a Space Mountain FP at rope drop and the other morning get a GOTG and RSR at rope drop. I would get the early morning FPs at whatever park doesn't have magic morning and repeat on day 2 so you don't already have an hours worth of hotel guests at the park. With that said, with 2 day park hoppers, I'm not even sure you have to get there at rope drop to get through your list. If you re not a morning person just get to the parks at a reasonable time in the morning and stay late. When are you going? This obviously can have a big impact on crowds.

Now keep in mind that even though you can most likely knock out this list in 2 days, I would still book a third day so you can enjoy some of the smaller details of the parks and not feel like you re in a marathon.

This reminds me, we should create a "Disneyland: it's all in the details" thread or something where can highlight some of the smaller details of the park that tourists/ first timers might miss when they re too busy trying to get on all the rides. When I go to WDW, I would love to have some of this type of info.

I'm going in late-April 2018. We want this trip to be on the cheap side. We want to get a "taste" of Disneyland Resort this trip, because in a few years we want to do a longer Disneyland vacation if we enjoy this more than Disney World.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
Oh ya @Disneylover152 not sure if you are following along on the other thread but they removed the 40 minute "cool down" time for FPs so you can stack multiple FPs now. Especially in the morning. For the rest of the day it stull seems like you can stack multiple FPs for any ride not named RSR, GOTG, Space Mountain and maybe Indy.

What does this mean? Is it like Disney World fastpasses now? Can you explain in more detail as I am not on the other thread.

mickEblu

What does this mean? Is it like Disney World fastpasses now? Can you explain in more detail as I am not on the other thread.

The return times for most FP rides seem to be immediate. Before there was a 40 minute delay (minimum) before you could ride using another FP. So you can get to the park in the morning and literally have 5-6 FPs in one hour as long as the return time start on the previous FP has passed.

In other words, under the old system, they always maintained a 40 minute wait minimum from the current time to the next FP return time on any given attraction.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
The return times for most FP rides seem to be immediate. Before there was a 40 minute delay (minimum) before you could get another FP. So you can get to the park in the morning and literally have 5-6 FPs in one hour as long as the return time start on the previous FP has passed.

In other words, under the old system, they always maintained a 40 minute wait minimum from the current time to the next FP return time on any given attraction.

Okay! That's exciting!

mickEblu

I'm going in late-April 2018. We want this trip to be on the cheap side. We want to get a "taste" of Disneyland Resort this trip, because in a few years we want to do a longer Disneyland vacation if we enjoy this more than Disney World.

Last week of April (after spring break has ended for most of the country) and first week of May is usually a a pretty good time to go. Lower crowds and not too hot. Try to go in the middle of the week.

mickEblu

I misspoke in the first paragraph of my last response. I should have said before there was a 40 minute wait before you could ride using another FP.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
We are going Sunday-Thursday (were going to go Monday-Friday, but I don't want to miss a week of school, lol). We are thinking of doing theme parks Mon, Tues, Wed.

GiveMeTheMusic

We are going Sunday-Thursday (were going to go Monday-Friday, but I don't want to miss a week of school, lol). We are thinking of doing theme parks Mon, Tues, Wed.

Just don't expect a full nighttime entertainment slate on weeknights - World of Color will run, but shows like Fantasmic and Disneyland's fireworks won't.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
Just don't expect a full nighttime entertainment slate on weeknights - World of Color will run, but shows like Fantasmic and Disneyland's fireworks won't.

Our hotel does that fireworks viewing on the roof, so we are planning to do that for Sunday night. But I really hope they have Fantasmic!

GiveMeTheMusic

Our hotel does that fireworks viewing on the roof, so we are planning to do that for Sunday night. But I really hope they have Fantasmic!

They won't unless it's a holiday or summer. During what is charmingly known as the off-season, Fantasmic and fireworks are performed on weekend nights only.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
It's a bummer, but better to know now then when it's too late! :)

Yea, at least I can change my trip now. My trip won't be complete unless I see Fantasmic, lol. I was going to go in April 2017, but I was like, let me wait a year so I can see Fantasmic! I could care less about Star Wars Land since I go to Disney World often, but I heard Fantasmic in Disneyland is so much better.

Karakasa

As someone who just finished my own trip to Disneyland with family, got a few tips for you.

As cool as the Matterhorn is in terms of presentation, if you're tall, it can and WILL absolutely batter the hell out of your knees. I'm 6' 2", and while again I do like that I managed to do it, I don't think I will ever ride it again.

If you are staying at the Grand Californian, the park hopper option is an absolute boon if you intend to take a rest back at the resort midday. It's so much quicker to cut through California Adventure rather than trek through Downtown Disney to return.

Don't expect to be able to do Disneyland in one day even if you cut yourself down to the bare minimum of rides that it and WDW don't share. There are a lot- I think we only managed to do as many as we did because my mom's got a bad knee and needs a wheelchair since she can't stand for too long, thus we got in through the handicap lines. Contrarily, if you're staying in a Disney hotel, you can definitely do California Adventure in a day, maybe less. Just gotta play it smart with the Fastpasses.

Also you WILL need 2 nights at Disneyland if you want to see Fantasmic, the nighttime parade, and the fireworks show. I'm lucky in that I've seen the MSEP half a dozen times already and Fantasmic sadly hasn't reopened yet, so I only needed to prepare for the fireworks....

Speaking of fireworks, if you have no plans to see whatever nighttime parade there is and don't mind not seeing Tink flying over the castle, 'it's a small world''s facade is a great viewing alternative to the (frankly, frightening) hub, as the projections on the castle will show up on there too. But since you mentioned staying at a resort hotel you can probably see em from Disneyland hotel just fine.

Also I'd definitely recommend the Finding Nemo Submarine Adventure if you can fit it in. It'll take up a bit of time due to the docking, unloading, and loading process, but the ride itself is well worth it IMO.

Be aware if you want to meet characters that a lot of them have no listing or signage in park- you'll need the Disneyland app or ask a castmember to find the vast majority of them.

Finally, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, and the Storybook Canal are closed from about a half hour before the first nighttime event until after the last. Toontown also closes early. You'll want to do any of those three mentioned attractions plus Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin (great ride, would recommend) before about 8 PM.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
As someone who just finished my own trip to Disneyland with family, got a few tips for you.

As cool as the Matterhorn is in terms of presentation, if you're tall, it can and WILL absolutely batter the hell out of your knees. I'm 6' 2", and while again I do like that I managed to do it, I don't think I will ever ride it again.

If you are staying at the Grand Californian, the park hopper option is an absolute boon if you intend to take a rest back at the resort midday. It's so much quicker to cut through California Adventure rather than trek through Downtown Disney to return.

Don't expect to be able to do Disneyland in one day even if you cut yourself down to the bare minimum of rides that it and WDW don't share. There are a lot- I think we only managed to do as many as we did because my mom's got a bad knee and needs a wheelchair since she can't stand for too long, thus we got in through the handicap lines. Contrarily, if you're staying in a Disney hotel, you can definitely do California Adventure in a day, maybe less. Just gotta play it smart with the Fastpasses.

Also you WILL need 2 nights at Disneyland if you want to see Fantasmic, the nighttime parade, and the fireworks show. I'm lucky in that I've seen the MSEP half a dozen times already and Fantasmic sadly hasn't reopened yet, so I only needed to prepare for the fireworks....

Speaking of fireworks, if you have no plans to see whatever nighttime parade there is and don't mind not seeing Tink flying over the castle, 'it's a small world''s facade is a great viewing alternative to the (frankly, frightening) hub, as the projections on the castle will show up on there too. But since you mentioned staying at a resort hotel you can probably see em from Disneyland hotel just fine.

Also I'd definitely recommend the Finding Nemo Submarine Adventure if you can fit it in. It'll take up a bit of time due to the docking, unloading, and loading process, but the ride itself is well worth it IMO.

Be aware if you want to meet characters that a lot of them have no listing or signage in park- you'll need the Disneyland app or ask a castmember to find the vast majority of them.

Finally, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, and the Storybook Canal are closed from about a half hour before the first nighttime event until after the last. Toontown also closes early. You'll want to do any of those three mentioned attractions plus Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin (great ride, would recommend) before about 8 PM.

Thanks so much for these amazing tips.

I want to do the Matterhorn because of the history of it. My goal is to do all of the rides Walt Disney was there to build, with the exception of the Submarine Voyage because I get really claustrophobic very easily and that causes an anxiety attack, so I'm passing on that.

We are staying at Paradise Pier, and we have decided to do 1 day at Disneyland and 1 day at Disney California Adventure. If we don't complete everything on our list for Disneyland Park (as the list is bigger), we will add another day.

As for the nighttime shows, we have seen MSEP before, so if they extend it to then, we are passing. For the fireworks, our hotel has rooftop viewings of the fireworks. So the only thing we want to do is Fantasmic. But whichever park Paint the Night is in (if it is in a park), we are defiantly doint that as well.

We don't want to see characters on this trip, as we go to Disney World so many times, but if we see a rare character, well defiantly be hopping on that line.

And thanks for telling me about Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Toontown and the Storybook Canals because I did not know that and we want to do all of those.

Now a question about Toontown. If we go in Mickey's House, do we have to see Mickey or can we just walk through his house?

Thanks to everyone. My trip would not be as magical without your help.

Californian Elitist

FYI, the majority of Fantasyland's rides close during fireworks, not just Storybook, Alice, and Toad.

You're welcome to walk through Mickey's house without meeting Mickey.

JillC LI

Okay. I think we decided to do a 2 days only and to do a park hopper both days (since time is limited).

We had two full days in the summer of 2014 (which I can't believe is three years ago already!). We did one park per day from open to close, and it was enough time to do everything we absolutely wanted to do with lots of extras (and one of our days was a Grad Nite so it was rather crowded). We skipped sit-down meals for time.

Disneylover152

Original Poster
FYI, the majority of Fantasyland's rides close during fireworks, not just Storybook, Alice, and Toad.

You're welcome to walk through Mickey's house without meeting Mickey.

Okay, we are planning to hit Fantasyland during EMH anyway, so that won't affect us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom