Help me find my ideal digital camera!

SirNim

Original Poster
OK Guys… I need a little help…

For Christmas this year, my two major gifts are going to be a digital still camera and a digital motion camcorder. As you can see, I made two threads, one for each of these things, because I need specific help for each. I also know that they make camcorders that have built-in still photo functions… But I want them separate because I have specific needs/wants for each of them…

Anyway…

This thread is about a digital still camera.

OK, let me explain my plight.

I have an Olympus 1.3 megapixel digital camera (I got it as a gift a few years ago...). Of course, though, I’m going to be making the upgrade, the step up, for Christmas.

I am looking for a digital still camera with as HIGH a megapixel count as possible (preferably around 5 or even 6 MPs). I’m not a professional photographer; I don’t need a professional camera. However, I would like to take VERY high quality shots with it… VERY high quality… And, I’m not going to use any filters or any crazy things like that… just simple point-and-shoot… I wouldn’t have the time to do anything otherwise.
And… oh yeah.. it should have a fast speed (shutter speed, is it?). If, say, I’m on a bus, or on a fast-moving ride, or anything like that, I want to be able to take a picture and not just see a blur. My budget for this digital still camera is just around $500 US. (I’ve allotted one thousand even to buy both the digital still camera and the digital camcorder.)

I know there have been many digital camera buying advice threads before… but technology, especially imagining technology like digital cameras, changes so rapidly and becomes obsolete within even just a few months…

It doesn’t matter to me what sort of memory media card it takes… I *believe* I can handle all types of cards… And if not, well then, I’ll just have to buy the capability to do so along with the camera!

I’d also like a zoom on it, optical and/or digital… whatever it is, so long as it can zoom.

Does anybody have any ideas or recommendations for what might fit my requirements?

Also, what brand is best?

I know my “requirements” may seem a little… I dunno.. pricey? But, I’m sure there is a camera around or under $500 that has most of them.

Just give me some suggestions!
Thanks!

jojoyner55

Like you I had an older Olympus digital camera - a D510. I recently upgraded to a "prosumer" Olympus C-5050, a 5 megapixel truly lovely camera: well worth the investment. Don't pay the retail price ($799) - I found a great deal ($560) by a little searching on the internet. Very flexible design: you can go completely "snapshot" or control everything. I'm still trying to figure out everything you can do with this - its great! And oh yeah, it'll take any media card you can throw at it - the only camera I know that will (its got four different slots).

maelstrom

I recommend the Canon Elph line. I have a Digital Elph S230 (3.2 megapixels) that works just great. They're tiny and powerful, and they take Compact Flash cards. I know for certain there is a 4 megapixel one available, and I'm pretty sure there is a 5 megapixel one.

My mother is sweet on a 5 megapixel Olympus digital camera, which also looks to be good, but I've had no first hand experience with it.

no2apprentice

Take a look at the Canon Powershot G5. I am hoping to make this my next camera, when I can save the money for the purchase. It has some good features that will benefit either a point-and-shoot novice to an intermediate skilled photographer.

It has some items that you are looking for...5 megapixel, 4x optical zoom (all glass, no plastic in the lens) which in 35mm equivalent is 35 - 140 zoom, shutter speed from 15 seconds to 1/2000 (1/1250 @ lower than f4), aperture f2.0/3.0 (depending on zoom setting), ISO settings of 50, 100, 200, or 400, uses CF type II media, comes with 32 MB memory card and rechargeble lithium battery pack, AND it has an external hotshoe that can work with Canon Speedlite strobes (this is a nice feature since built in flashes are good for about 13-15 feet...external hotshoes are not found on most digital point and shoot cameras).

The price range will be $500 to $600 depending on which internet site you find. The reviews I've read are very favorable for the quality of image this camera can capture, a key point I look for in camera reviews. This price range may be a little high for the range you listed, but you'll be getting a camera with some features normally found on much more expensive cameras. Of course, you may not want or need some of the features this camera has, but I always try to get as much as I can afford, so I don't regret it later.

Whatever you decide, I hope the camera you get meets all your expectations.:)

The_CEO

I have also heard the ELf line are very nice to work with. That maybe be my next camera to play around with :)

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
http://www.canoneos.com/digitalrebel/

I have been seeing the Digital rebel comericals all over the TV recently.... Looks like a sweet cam... I Know my sister is a HUGE fan of the Rebel line and has all the gear for the 35mm rebel... and raves about it.

Anywhoo... it looks pretty cool... and I tought I would show ya :) :wave:

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by maelstrom
I recommend the Canon Elph line. I have a Digital Elph S230 (3.2 megapixels) that works just great. They're tiny and powerful, and they take Compact Flash cards. I know for certain there is a 4 megapixel one available, and I'm pretty sure there is a 5 megapixel one.

We also have one of these. We got it last year (Feb) when it was out of stock everywhere. It was really hard to find. Since then they have come out with a 4 megapixal one with 3 times zoom. The flash is a little weak on the s230 also. Other then that I love this camera. It is light and small, I keep it with me all the time in my purse (with a leather cover on it.) We also have 2 batteries (good to have.) but they charge with in 2 hours and last for at least 2 days of full use. It takes good pictures. I personally don't see the need for over 3 mega pixels, the more mega pixels the more memory it takes. If you look at my photo alum on line all the pictures were taken with this camera. Start up time and shoting time is fast for a digital (why we wanted it.) With my old camera my 2 year old was gone before it was ready to take the picture.) If you are looking for compact flash cards Cost Co has them for great prices.

We researched it on line before buying. I recomend that.

It also has a video funtion with sound. It isn't as good, but fun for short clips when you don't have cam corder handy.

Oh side note, we got a canon i850 printer, it is nice and kinda cheap also. (around 200 I think)

Good luck

SirNim

Original Poster
Thank you for all of your help...

I'm looking primarily at the Nikon Coolpix 5400 and the Canon Powershot G5 per your suggestions, as well as the Olympus C-5050. These are right in my price range, have the features I am looking for, etc. I've been looking at the official websites and review websites. Out of these three, can somebody recommend one over the other (with in depth information, of course)? Are there any problems with any of these cameras that you know of (if you own one of them or so forth)? Am I in my right ballpark? Am I overlooking any other cameras that may have a better value yet have as many features as these three? Et cetera... Please, just a little more help... :) I'll be continuing to investigate these cameras on my own on independent and official websites... Thanks again for all of your past and continued help! :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
lol... I sell digital cameras for my side job, so here are a few suggestions..

1- megapixels are a myth. You don't need more megapixels unless you plan on doing HUGE prints. If it's just for web and the occasional 8X10 a 3.2 or 4 MP model will be fine. If you want to do like an 11X14/16X20 then you'll need more.. (max on a 4MP is 11X14, 5MP 16X20, 6.3MP 20X30)

That having been said... my recommendations are....

Canon Powershot S50
Canon Powershot A80
Sony Cybershot P10
Nikon Coolpix 4300
Nikon Coolpix 5400/5700
Olympus C5000/5050

I would take the Canon S50 or the Nikon Coolpix 4300over the rest based on battery and memory... both use CompactFlash (cheap and readily available... we're selling 128MB cards for $29.99 after rebate, $39.99 out the door), and both have rechargable lithium-ion batteries...

anything else.. feel free to ask

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
and for my side note...

look for a Digital Rebel under my christmas tree this year....

or next year.. lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom