Resolved - Help Me Decide Which Resort?

StarDarlingsFan

Original Poster
Hi, everyone! I'm a WDW First-Timer. This is probably going to be the only family trip to Disney I will ever take, so I want it to be as nice as possible (or as nice as I can afford, lol.)

I am having trouble choosing between the following travel options:
1 - Poly Villa (Studio Standard View) for 4 nights/5 days
2 - AKL (Jambo - Deluxe Studio Savannah View) for 4 nights/5 days
3 - WL CL for 4 nights/5 days
4 - POR (Royal Guest River View) for 7 nights/7 days

I am torn between choosing (A) the shorter dates and experiencing the awesomeness of a deluxe, but feeling more rushed during our days at the parks, or (B) going with a moderate and having a longer, more relaxed touring schedule.
Additional notes: we will spend most of our time at MK and are traveling with two preschoolers.

Thanks for your help!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Initially when I read your post...WL was my answer. Although not a monorail resort..for me it has the most charm.

But...

If budget is the deciding factor I'd go POR. But keep in mind that with 3 extra nights there are also extra expenses. POR is a fine resort and your kids will enjoy it (The actual rooms are not that much different). The busses are manageable. When in Disney, the time at the resort is nice but you are in Disney after all, so exactly how much time are you planning to spend at the resort? (now let's clarify..The POR vs Poly is a big difference..but it's not like going from a Hilton to a Days Inn..more like going from a Hilton to a Hilton Garden Inn) But if I could exchange the comforts of a deluxe for a moderate and gain an extra 3 nights...I'd do it. Make sure to take a carriage ride at POR, they will love it.

Po'Rich

I would probably go for the longer stay; you won't spend that much time at the resort anyway. However, if you decide to stay at one of the deluxe resorts, let me put in a word for AKL. You'll spend more time riding the bus, but it will be worth it when your kids wake up to see giraffes or zebra outside their window!

RememberWhen

We leave tomorrow for a trip with a preschooler. DS will be 4 in a month. We are planning 3 days at Magic Kingdom, 1 at animal kingdom and 1 at Epcot. We have been lots of times, and are planning a trip for September,, so for us this isn't a one time thing.
We are staying at Bay Lake Tower because the proximity to MK is awesome. I would pick staying at the poly. If you have a stroller the boats and monorail are awesome.

MaryJaneP

We have been there with pre-schoolers also, at the Poly and at the Contemporary Garden Wing. Frankly, if most of your time is at MK, and you are considering Deluxe, we see no reason not to do CR or BLT since it saves you the transportation time to any other resort. We also liked the pools, dock, Chef Mickeys, and all the other reasons you may be told to avoid the CR/BLT option. If this is truly likely to be your only trip to WDW, it may always be a coulda/shoulda scenario. Just our two cents.

StarDarlingsFan

Original Poster
We have been there with pre-schoolers also, at the Poly and at the Contemporary Garden Wing. Frankly, if most of your time is at MK, and you are considering Deluxe, we see no reason not to do CR or BLT since it saves you the transportation time to any other resort. We also liked the pools, dock, Chef Mickeys, and all the other reasons you may be told to avoid the CR/BLT option. If this is truly likely to be your only trip to WDW, it may always be a coulda/shoulda scenario. Just our two cents.
CR rooms are sold out for our travel dates. I don't believe BLT is eligible for any of the current Disney promos (or if it is, they are all sold.) We can't afford full price for either one, ($500+/night...Yikes!) and have no desire to do DVC rentals.
That aside, I think the simple theme of CR/BLT would be very underwhelming to my little ones. Not worth the price, even with the great location. If I was traveling on my own, it might be a different story. (Club level with the amazing fireworks view - oh yeah!)

iluvMainStMagic

We also Love WL, and with your plan to visit MK multiple times, it's location is great. However - since there is DVC construction work going on there, it might be a good idea to consider when you are going vs the work schedule. Some of the work will be on the shoreline (so hopefully wouldn't be a disturbance in the main building), but some of it is currently on one wing of the the WL (according to what I've read), so if it would keep you from enjoying your stay, it might not be the best time for you to stay there (but it's well worth a visit).

Also, your kids might enjoy some of the activities next door at Ft Wilderness.

Also, remember that you can visit any resort as much as you want, so even if you don't end up staying at AKL, you can spend as much time there as you want (granted you wouldn't wake up to animals outside your window, but there is a great observation area out the back of the lobby, and they will provide night vision glasses after dark).

HollyAD

I would do the longer stay at POR. I just stayed at POR in October and we enjoyed it! It's a beautiful place and I found it to be relaxing outside of the parks. I have stayed deluxe and it's nice but having more time is worth the sacrifice. You won't feel as rushed since you will be spreading out your time. You can also visit the other resorts and enjoy the scenery.

Belle_MTL

I would advise against AKL with pre-schoolers. We stayed there 2 years ago (kids were 3 & 1) and the novelty of the animals wore off pretty quickly. The buses are much slower and by the time they reach Jambo they're pretty full, which can be a pain with small kids and strollers. We always stay in the cabins at Fort Wilderness, and spend most our time at the MK. I think staying at a resort close to the MK is the best with little ones. WL is beautiful, I've never stayed there but have visited since it's right next to the Fort. We've also stayed at POFQ and really enjoyed it (we walked around POR and it's really nice as well). The down time will be something you'll really want so a longer stay would probably be best. We usually go to the parks for opening, grab an early lunch, head back to the cabin for naps/relaxing, and then head back out for after dinner (cabins have full kitchens). Oh and if you stay at the WL the kids will love the boat ride to the MK and if it's not packed you don't have to fold up the stroller!

Mrhappyplace

My first piece of advice is to remove AKL from consideration. I feel you would spend to much time traveling to MK during your stay.

Secondly I'd suggest looking into renting DVC points, the money saved could allow a longer stay in either Poly or WL.

Third I'd say the decision between a longer stay at a moderate or a short stay at a deluxe is a tough one. If you are looking to get as much out of the parks as possible the longer stay is the better option. If you want to have a more relaxed vacation the deluxes offer quicker transport to MK which will make mid day breaks easier.

Ultimately the decision is yours and I hope you enjoy your trip!

StarDarlingsFan

Original Poster
I'm pretty much ruling AKL out, for many of the reasons you guys mentioned. I can't "officially" remove it from our list, because it's my husbands first choice. I'll just "gently" suggest other options to him over the next few months. :angelic:

On paper, POR really seems like the right choice. But the transportation is keeping me on the fence. And WL would be my first choice if it wasn't for all the renovations going on. Phew...being wishy-washy is exhausting. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the input, everyone! It really does help. :happy:

mouse_luv

Sorry that I have to go against everyone else here but my choices would be AKL but Kidani not Jambo (savannah is better there), and Poly.
First of all, the buses at AKL were some of the best I have ever used in over 25 visits to the World. It's about 11 mins via bus, the same distance if you were coming from Port Orleans in the other direction to the MK.
My telling you the Poly as the other choice is because of its distance to the MK where you said you will be most of your stay. Its close proximity also allows for mid-day breaks via monorail to your resort.

Last edited:

StarDarlingsFan

Original Poster
Also, remember that you can visit any resort as much as you want, so even if you don't end up staying at AKL, you can spend as much time there as you want (granted you wouldn't wake up to animals outside your window, but there is a great observation area out the back of the lobby, and they will provide night vision glasses after dark).

Never considered that option. We could visit AKL to see the resort and watch the animals, have dinner, then catch Rivers of Light. TY!

DizneyPryncess

We stayed at POR with our daughter when she was 2, and even though I prefer the FQ side of this resort, we had a great stay there. It's a beautiful resort. With preschoolers, I'd always opt for a longer stay so you don't feel rushed. You often have to go at their pace. Mine still needed naps at that time. While I would've loved to be on the monorail for quick access, I still would choose extra days over the monorail.

mousehockey37

CR rooms are sold out for our travel dates. I don't believe BLT is eligible for any of the current Disney promos (or if it is, they are all sold.) We can't afford full price for either one, ($500+/night...Yikes!) and have no desire to do DVC rentals.
That aside, I think the simple theme of CR/BLT would be very underwhelming to my little ones. Not worth the price, even with the great location. If I was traveling on my own, it might be a different story. (Club level with the amazing fireworks view - oh yeah!)

Why no dvc rental? It's bound to save you money and give you some amenities that you don't get elsewhere. Also, you get a deluxe resort for the same price, if not cheaper than, a moderate or value. With smaller kids having a full kitchenette (studio) or full kitchen ànd washer/dryer (1 bdrm+) could be handy. You can also get the dining plan as well.

StarDarlingsFan

Original Poster
Why no dvc rental? It's bound to save you money and give you some amenities that you don't get elsewhere. Also, you get a deluxe resort for the same price, if not cheaper than, a moderate or value. With smaller kids having a full kitchenette (studio) or full kitchen ànd washer/dryer (1 bdrm+) could be handy. You can also get the dining plan as well.

There are three reasons.
(1) A good cancellation policy is very important to us because we never know what may come up.
(2) By the time I learned about DVC rentals, the availability for our travel dates was already getting low. By now, it would probably be hard to find a room.
(3) My husband doesn't want the extra hassle, and I tend to agree with him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom