Help me Choose: Hollywood Studios VS Animal Kingdom

Timsierramist

I've been to both. May 2013. On my most recent trip to WDW in January 2016, I went to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. I'm headed back yet again to pick up where I left off in January for a 3 day. The Magic Kingdom is still a must do for me, every time. However on Day 2, I need to choose between Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.

I'm really on the fence here. I could be fine and happy with either choice, which is why i'm letting the Forums here decide for me. I know with all the construction and changes coming to Hollywood Studios, there is chatter on both sides at whether to skip Hollywood Studios for the time being.

Maybe getting a park hopper and doing both for half day?

orlando678-

I would go for AK, all the construction in HS wouldn't make my day magical enough. I would wait for HS to become more interesting after its expansions( Toy Story, Star Wars and TBA). Have a fun time there no matter what you choose.

Upvote 0

Timsierramist

Original Poster
Last trip, I spent all day in both parks and did almost everything. If you really take your time and take a relaxing stroll through animal kingdom, seeing all the shows and hidden gems, you can really turn it into a full day park...well, full day in the sense that it closes at what, 6 PM or so?

Now that I know what I do and maybe don't want to do, coupled with the construction, I can see how a Park Hopper would be a wise option. Leaning on that at the moment.

Animal Kingdom in the morning of course when animals are most active and Animal Kingdom really shines. And Hollywood Studios in the evening.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Anyone going with you? Are you a Star Wars fan? If so, I would go with Hollywood studios. That's if you have to pick one. But the park hopper is a good idea also. Start at AK and finish at HS.

Upvote 0

Timsierramist

Original Poster
Anyone going with you? Are you a Star Wars fan? If so, I would go with Hollywood studios. That's if you have to pick one. But the park hopper is a good idea also. Start at AK and finish at HS.
Nobody going with me. Just me. I like Star Wars like any other person, but am not a big Star Wars geek. More a Star Trek guy.

I really did like the Indiana Jones show. What is the latest I would need to be in park to see that?

Upvote 0

The90skid

Like the good Chef mentioned eariler, HS and AK can both be full day parks if you take your time and absorb the atmosphere a little! I think Animal Kingdom is a great park to relax, partly because there aren't many rides, and the crowds like to mill around the rides, leaving more secluded areas to enjoy the sights! It would be a hard choice for me, but I would advise against the park hopper. You lose time in the transportation that, to me, is better spent enjoying one park.

Upvote 0

yedliW

For me, it's a no-brainer.. AK, all day.. As much as I like the Toy Story ride.. the Indy show.. etc.. I love AK more.. I'm not one for the thrill rides, so ToT and RnR don't draw me.. I could do Kilimanjaro Safari all day.. you can take as much (or as little) time as you need on the 2 nature trails.. and Flights of Wonder is probably the most under rated show on property. I am looking forward to the night safari and am planning on doing the Wild Africa Trek tour on our next trip.

If you have PH, then go to AK in the morning, catch the Safari first thing, see what you want, then head over to HS for the afternoon/evening.. but for me if it was only one or the other AK is where you would find me.. :)

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

Despite what you'll hear on this forum, neither are half day parks but like any park, can be done in a half day. I've done MK in half a day.
But it is getting harder to claim that DHS is a full day park for some guests after April 2nd. That is when DHS gets another round of closings with it including 2 attractions, Mike and Sully Meet and Greet,1 refreshment place, 2 counter services and 3 shops.

When you are about full experience at theme park, you have to consider more than attractions.

Upvote 0

Timsierramist

Original Poster
k
But it is getting harder to claim that DHS is a full day park for some guests after April 2nd. That is when DHS gets another round of closings with it including 2 attractions, Mike and Sully Meet and Greet,1 refreshment place, 2 counter services and 3 shops.
One thing that is true about me is I do take the Disney parks slowly. Like a stroll, letting it all sink in. Just being in the parks and not at work or home is important. In this sense, these parks can certainly be full day parks. And honestly, all the stuff they have and will be closing (some of it before my trip), I wasn't that interested in anyways. Did it in 2013. Was fun of course, but not a priority.

In fact, if Typhoon Lagoon was open, I may even be inclined to spend the day there since I haven't been yet. Blizzard Beach, meh. I'll wait until I'm visiting for a longer period of time. This trip is literally my 3 day weekend (with an additional day I took off). Much prefer these smaller trips to the big 2 weeks. Instead of waiting a year or more, I can look forward to my adventures every few months.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

What are the park hours on that date? If DHS is open substantially later than DAK, then I'd do both and park hop. If DHS closes early (as it tends to do in January), hopping might not be worth it and I'd just do DAK.

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

Both are what I consider "half day parks" (currently, arguably). More so HS than AK... You could stretch the latter out whereas the former is a shell right now with so much closing/closed. A park hopper would be the best solution; you can easily do both in one day.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom