HELP! How does renting DVC points work? Which resort is right for us?

kaitertot5249

I'm looking at renting DVC points for the first time for a trip in May with my best friend. We've never taken a vacation together and we've been talking about this trip for a while now. We're both recent college grads, celebrating being adults (and we want to go relive our childhood in WDW :inlove:), and we're looking for a fun place to stay on-property. We were initially thinking of a moderate but I've been hearing about some benefits of renting DVC points and I wanted to hear what some people's experiences have been. We can't afford to stay Deluxe at rack rates and after a quick search, I realized that renting might be an affordable alternative for us.

So far I've looked at AKL, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Inn, and Beach Club. Is it worth it for us to splurge on one of these resorts? How does renting work? And which one would be the best fit for us?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance!

kaitertot5249

Original Poster
Thanks @mouse_luv! Since you have had positive experiences with renting DVC points, I'm guessing that you would recommend it? Have you ever stayed at AKL? I think that's my top choice at the moment mostly based on price and the fact that I love the theme of the resort but it seems to be a bit out of the way from most everything on Disney property aside for AK. Is it a hassle to go back and forth between parks and the resort if we wanted to take a mid-day break in the room?

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

Thanks @mouse_luv! Since you have had positive experiences with renting DVC points, I'm guessing that you would recommend it? Have you ever stayed at AKL? I think that's my top choice at the moment mostly based on price and the fact that I love the theme of the resort but it seems to be a bit out of the way from most everything on Disney property aside for AK. Is it a hassle to go back and forth between parks and the resort if we wanted to take a mid-day break in the room?

Yes, that's all I do to stay at WDW. And AKL is my "home" resort. No it is not a hassle, AK isn't as far from things as people seem to exaggerate that it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fox&Hound

Hi! I do not know a lot about renting DVC points but my family and I stay at Bay Lake Tower and love it. You cannot beat the proximity to Magic Kingdom and you're also a part of the monorail loop which means you have direct access to Epcot as well. I think you should consider what parks you will probably be visiting the most and that might help you make your decision. AKL is not too far but you will rely on buses more than other modes of transport. Have a great time!!!!!

Upvote 0

SAV

Being that you are recent college grads and that you want a "fun" area, I'd suggest looking at the Epcot resort area around the Boardwalk. If you choose to indulge in adult beverages around the world, you can just walk(stumble) back to your room without taking a bus. You can take a boat to DHS and also spend time on the Boardwalk. We visited the area(didn't stay at the resorts) and I really liked Beach Club over any of them.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Renting Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points offer significant savings when staying at a Deluxe Resort. However, there are important differences compared to booking a room through Disney. Points to consider:
  1. DVC rentals can save money, sometimes a lot. For example, a rack rate (i.e. full price) Standard View room at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the week of February 18 to 25 averages $487/night including tax. Disney currently is offering a 25% discount with the room averaging $365/night. A slightly larger room at Animal Kingdom Villas (i.e. the DVC part of AKL) would cost $232/night if you can rent it at $14 per DVC point, or $265/night at $16 per point. For comparison, a King Bed room (least expensive currently available) at Port Orleans Riverside costs $301/night with Disney's discount. A Standard room at Pop Century costs $163/night with current discount.
  2. DVC rooms typically have to be booked well in advance. 11 months prior to your trip is needed for the most popular rooms. Choices become limited within 7 months. Last minute rooms often are available but these usually are limited to Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR).
  3. DVC rentals often are difficult to cancel. Be sure of your trip before booking, or look for trip insurance.
  4. Daily housecleaning is not included in the price. It can be added but is expensive ($30/night for a full cleaning of a Studio).
IMO (and I've stayed at all WDW Resorts except for Art of Animation, which I have visited), Animal Kingdom Lodge is WDW's most lovely hotel, the best as a stand-alone experience. However, as you note, it is tucked away in the southwest corner of the property. The bus ride to the Magic Kingdom can feel long.

As far as how does renting points work, you need to find someone willing to rent you points. Google "DVC rentals" to see some options. David's Vacation Club Rentals is probably the best known. They explain how renting points works on their website.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mouse_luv

Renting Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points offer significant savings when staying at a Deluxe Resort. However, there are important differences compared to booking a room through Disney. Points to consider:
  1. DVC rentals can save money, sometimes a lot. For example, a rack rate (i.e. full price) Standard View room at Animal Kingdom Lodge for the week of February 18 to 25 averages $487/night including tax. Disney currently is offering a 25% discount with the room averaging $365/night. A slightly larger room at Animal Kingdom Villas (i.e. the DVC part of AKL) would cost $232/night if you can rent it at $14 per DVC point, or $265/night at $6 per point. For comparison, a King Bed room (least expensive currently available) at Port Orleans Riverside costs $301/night with Disney's discount. A Standard room at Pop Century costs $163/night with current discount.
  2. DVC rooms typically have to be booked well in advance. 11 months prior to your trip is needed for the most popular rooms. Choices become limited within 7 months. Last minute rooms often are available but these usually are limited to Saratoga Springs Resort (SSR).
  3. DVC rentals often are difficult to cancel. Be sure of your trip before booking, or look for trip insurance.
  4. Daily housecleaning is not included in the price. It can be added but is expensive.
IMO (and I've stayed at all WDW Resorts except for Art of Animation, which I have visited), Animal Kingdom Lodge is WDW's most lovely hotel, the best as a stand-alone experience. However, as you note, it is tucked away in the southwest corner of the property. The bus ride to the Magic Kingdom can feel long.

As far as how does renting points work, you need to find someone willing to rent you points. Google "DVC rentals" to see some options. David's Vacation Club Rentals is probably the best known. They explain how renting points works on their website.
There is so much misinformed info in this post IDK where to start. I'm mobile rn and will be back later to prove my point better and point out the issues one by one. OP-please don't let the post I quoted change your mind about renting.
Also, AKL is about or less than a ten min bus ride to the MK and a few more mins to other Parks. I myself as well as others have posted extensively about this on these forums in the past.

Upvote 0

kaitertot5249

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the advice everyone!
Renting Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points offer significant savings when staying at a Deluxe Resort.
Thank you for the very thorough evidence of the cost justification for renting dvc points! It does seem like I might be a little late to the game to get one of my preferred resorts if my trip is in May. I'll do some research to find out what's available and hopefully try to book something soon! Do you think that there is any chance AKL, Boardwalk, or Bay Lake might still be available for the middle of May 2017? I'm thinking I'll go through the quoting process soon either way to see for sure.

@mouse_luv I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with AKL and transportation because, as I mentioned in my original post, that is pretty high on my list of contenders, along with the EPCOT area resorts and of course Bay Lake would be ideal for location but we might not be able to afford it this time around.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

We're looking at May 11-16, 2017. Thank you so much!
Early May is great. It's a less popular time for DVC members, meaning availability is better.

At the moment, the following Studios are available:
  • Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village Savanah View - 89 points ($267/night)
  • Bay Lake Tower Lake View - 103 points ($309/night)
  • Saratoga Springs - 73 points ($219/night)
  • Polynesian Standard View - 111 points ($333/night)
  • Old Key West - 73 points ($219/night)
Places like David DVC Rental rent out at $15 per point within 7 months, so multiply the above point numbers by $15 to get an idea of total price for the 5 nights you mention, and then divide by 5 to get the per night price. I've added that to the above in parenthesis.

Took a look at rates for some other resorts for these 5 nights:
  • Port Orleans Riverside - $1290.40 ($259/night)
  • Pop Century - $799.89 ($160/night)
  • Contemporary Garden Wing Standard View - $2489.65 ($498/night)
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View - $3054.40 ($611/night)
It does not appear Disney is offering discounted rooms for the dates you selected at this time. Usually they do though. When they do, it's typically 25% for Deluxe Resorts, 15% for Moderate Resorts, and 10% for Value Resorts.

P.S. Sorry for the late edit but it looks like David's increased their DVC point rental base rate from $14 per point to $15 per point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kaitertot5249

Original Poster
Early May is great. It's a less popular time for DVC members, meaning availability is better.

At the moment, the following Studios are available:
  • Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village Savanah View - 89 points ($267/night)
  • Bay Lake Tower Lake View - 103 points ($309/night)
  • Saratoga Springs - 73 points ($219/night)
  • Polynesian Standard View - 111 points ($333/night)
  • Old Key West - 73 points ($219/night)
Places like David DVC Rental rent out at $15 per point within 7 months, so multiply the above point numbers by $15 to get an idea of total price for the 5 nights you mention, and then divide by 5 to get the per night price. I've added that to the above in parenthesis.

Took a look at rates for some other resorts for these 5 nights:
  • Port Orleans Riverside - $1290.40 ($259/night)
  • Pop Century - $799.89 ($160/night)
  • Contemporary Garden Wing Standard View - $2489.65 ($498/night)
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge Savannah View - $3054.40 ($611/night)
It does not appear Disney is offering discounted rooms for the dates you selected at this time. Usually they do though. When they do, it's typically 25% for Deluxe Resorts, 15% for Moderate Resorts, and 10% for Value Resorts.

P.S. Sorry for the late edit but it looks like David's increased their DVC point rental base rate from $14 per point to $15 per point.
Thank you so much! This is all great info. It looks like AKV might be our best bet based on the prices you posted if we chose to go for a DVC rental. My friend's step-sister works for disney and might be able to get the CM family discount for us which might be more of a discount than a Disney room-only discount for this week. I think we might still be too late to the game for DVC to be worth it though because we haven't talked to her step-sister yet and we would want to compare prices on the off chance she is able to get us a better discount.

I will absolutely be keeping DVC rental in mind for future trips though and referring to the info that you provided. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

For reference, The Unofficial Guide to WDW collected data to determine average commute times. Sample average commute times to the Magic Kingdom include:
  • Grand Floridian - 6 minutes
  • Polynesian - 10 minutes
  • Wilderness Lodge - 19 minutes
  • Coronado Springs - 22 minutes
  • Beach Club - 22 minutes
  • All Start Resorts - 22 minutes
  • Port Orleans Riverside - 22 minutes
  • Boardwalk Inn - 25 minutes
  • Caribbean Beach - 30 minutes
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - 35 minutes
Note that travel time from the Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Magic Kingdom is longer than other resorts.

Commute times to other theme parks varied greatly, with Animal Kingdom Lodge comparing favorably to most other hotels. For example, commute time from the Wilderness Lodge to Epcot was 32 minutes, while from the Animal Kingdom Lodge was 28 minutes.

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

For reference, The Unofficial Guide to WDW collected data to determine average commute times. Sample average commute times to the Magic Kingdom include:
  • Grand Floridian - 6 minutes
  • Polynesian - 10 minutes
  • Wilderness Lodge - 19 minutes
  • Beach Club - 22 minutes
  • All Start Resorts - 22 minutes
  • Port Orleans Riverside - 22 minutes
  • Boardwalk Inn - 25 minutes
  • Caribbean Beach - 30 minutes
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - 35 minutes
Note that travel time from the Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Magic Kingdom is longer than other resorts.

Incorrect. AKL to MK has been proven to be anywhere from 10-15 mins depending on traffic.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Incorrect. AKL to MK has been proven to be anywhere from 10-15 mins depending on traffic.
It appears you are basing you numbers on a small sample based on your personal experience. The Unofficial Guide to WDW collected extensive data from all the resorts.

(BTW, AKV is one of my Home Resorts too and I have take the bus from AKV to the MK many times.)

Upvote 0

mouse_luv

It appears you are basing you numbers on a small sample based on your personal experience. The Unofficial Guide to WDW collected extensive data from all the resorts.

(BTW, AKV is one of my Home Resorts too and I have take the bus from AKV to the MK many times.)
Actually, try again. There is places where it is documented and it does back up my own personal experiences which is also not a small sample.

Another thing, Davids rents 15$ up to 7mos in advance. If it's more than that they charge ANOTHER dollar to the fee.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Animal Kingdom Lodge consists of two separate buildings with their own bus stops. Depending on which building you start from, either your trip to the Magic Kingdom or your return trip from the Magic Kingdom requires a detour to the other resort, which involves waiting for Guests to either depart or board. There is a traffic light immediately upon exiting the hotel, a traffic light to get onto World Drive (the Buena Vista alternate route has 2 additional traffic lights), a traffic light at Seven Seas Drive, and a traffic light in front of the Contemporary. Buses must slow down as they pass through the Magic Kingdom toll plaza on the right-hand side, and slow down again as they maneuver to reach the appropriate bus stop at the Magic Kingdom. Once on the road, the distance is 7.5 miles, with speed limits of 50 MPH or less.

Of course, this assumes no traffic, which can back up on World Drive at the Magic Kingdom toll plaza, slowing Disney buses.

An average travel time of 10-15 minutes from the time you board the bus to the time you leave the bus is not possible, but if there are few passengers boarding/deboarding, if the bus catches all the traffic lights, and if traffic is light, it is possible to complete the trip in that time.

The Unofficial Guide includes the following note:

"our data shows that about 20% of the time your actual travel time will be less than half the average. So don't be surprised if your trip from Caribbean Beach Resort to Epcot takes only 15 minutes instead of the 34 listed."​

It's important to collect a lot of data to get an accurate average.

P.S. The Unofficial Guide numbers include wait time and assume a bus once every 13 minutes. Based on this assumption, you'll wait 6 1/2 minutes for a bus on average.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mouse_luv

Animal Kingdom Lodge consists of two separate buildings with their own bus stops. Depending on which building you start from, either your trip to the Magic Kingdom or your return trip from the Magic Kingdom requires a detour to the other resort, which involves waiting for Guests to either depart or board. There is a traffic light immediately upon exiting the hotel, a traffic light to get onto World Drive (the Buena Vista alternate route has 2 additional traffic lights), and a traffic light in front of the Contemporary. Buses must slow down as they pass through the Magic Kingdom toll plaza on the right-hand side, and slow down again as they maneuver to reach the appropriate bus stop at the Magic Kingdom. Once on the road, the distance is 7.5 miles, with speed limits of 50 MPH or less.

Of course, this assumes no traffic, which can back up on World Drive at the Magic Kingdom toll plaza, slowing Disney buses.

An average travel time of 10-15 minutes from the time you board the bus to the time you leave the bus is not possible, but if there are few passengers boarding/deboarding, if the bus catches all the traffic lights, and if traffic is light, it is possible to complete the trip in that time.

The Unofficial Guide includes the following note:

"our data shows that about 20% of the time your actual travel time will be less than half the average. So don't be surprised if your trip from Caribbean Beach Resort to Epcot takes only 15 minutes instead of the 34 listed."​

It's important to collect a lot of data to get an accurate average.

There are no words for you. There really aren't. We are talking travel time here and I KNOW THE AKL. You need to stop being so condescending. Let it go. You and your reliance on the "UNOFFICIAL" Guide are ridiculous. There's a reason why it's Unofficial. Okay, I'm done arguing with people that can't get out of their own way and realize that they just "might" be wrong as I've proved on more than one account earlier.

Upvote 0

lostpro9het

There are no words for you.

I am genuinely interested in all the fallacies you believe @ParentsOf4 has posted. As an owner at AKL with eleven different stays at the resort, I don't find what Parents posted out of line at all, in fact it was well written, detailed, useful, and supported.

I agree, bus travel times can be a point of contention and I personally have experienced many travel times to MK well below the posted times. BUT I have also experienced times at or greater than the average time posted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom