Help!!! Has anyone stayed at Swan or Dolphin

dclfan

Original Poster
Hi Friends,

I've gone to Disney 30+ time and have always stayed on property. My fiancé text me yesterday that he wants gelato from France and we have to go back ASAP. That alone was a shock because we were just there in October and he had never gone before me and my family took him a few years ago. So I must say I'm pretty pleased with myself for making him so
Magical in such a short period of time.

Anyway once I picked my jaw up off the floor I started pricing out 4 or 5 days around June 6th. The deals at swan are amazing. It is slightly cheaper then staying at Carribean Beach and we could walk to Epcot and DHS.

So that being said I need some insight to those who have stayed. Does it make you feel like your not in the "bubble" or have you enjoyed it as much as any other Disney resort?

- Do they have Disney bus transportation like every other hotel?
- Can I still go to extra magic hours?
- Can I still book fastpasses and use the MY Disney Experience App?

I know they don't give you magic bands but I was just going to link my old bands from October and use that for fastpasses if that is an option? Can I also link my credit card for purchases to my band?

Thanks for your help.

DisneyPrincess5

I have stayed at both the Swan and the Dolphin a number of times and have always had awesome stays.

We have always felt totally in the bubble, and it's a great less expensive way to be included in the bubble with the Boardwalk and with special transportation to your neighbors, Epcot and DHS. So awesome!
The rooms are roomy and comfortable, with Heavenly Beds (...yes...they live up to their name), some great views (once we had a view of ToT and The Hat DHS!), and great dining and pools.
Also, it serves as a convention site. Due to this, I have found that it attracts more of the professional crowd with fewer children than say some other Disney resorts.

As @Minthorne stated, you get some sweet Disney perks. I'd say go for it! What do you have to lose. You'll likely fall in love.

Just an FYI-I believe one or both may be either undergoing some construction or are completed with construction. Don't quote me as I haven't been great on keeping up with resort news but just look into it if you're so inclined.

dclfan

Original Poster
I have stayed at both the Swan and the Dolphin a number of times and have always had awesome stays.

We have always felt totally in the bubble, and it's a great less expensive way to be included in the bubble with the Boardwalk and with special transportation to your neighbors, Epcot and DHS. So awesome!
The rooms are roomy and comfortable, with Heavenly Beds (...yes...they live up to their name), some great views (once we had a view of ToT and The Hat DHS!), and great dining and pools.
Also, it serves as a convention site. Due to this, I have found that it attracts more of the professional crowd with fewer children than say some other Disney resorts.

As @Minthorne stated, you get some sweet Disney perks. I'd say go for it! What do you have to lose. You'll likely fall in love.

Just an FYI-I believe one or both may be either undergoing some construction or are completed with construction. Don't quote me as I haven't been great on keeping up with resort news but just look into it if you're so inclined.

Thanks so much for your feedback. Hearing people who have stayed there and loved it makes me happy. Our dream was always to stay at Boardwalk and Yacht Club because of the location so the thought of staying near Epcot and DHS is making me so excited. We are foodies and usually end up in Epcot or Boarwalk at the end of the night no matter where we are staying.

We don't have kids and usually stay at Coronado for the same reason you had mentioned with it being a convention resort. A more adult friendly hotel is definitely a bonus I was just concerned of it losing the disney magic but after hearing some of your thoughts I think we are going to love it.

I did see some mention of construction but that's not really a dealbreaker for us.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Thanks so much for your feedback. Hearing people who have stayed there and loved it makes me happy. Our dream was always to stay at Boardwalk and Yacht Club because of the location so the thought of staying near Epcot and DHS is making me so excited. We are foodies and usually end up in Epcot or Boarwalk at the end of the night no matter where we are staying.

We don't have kids and usually stay at Coronado for the same reason you had mentioned with it being a convention resort. A more adult friendly hotel is definitely a bonus I was just concerned of it losing the disney magic but after hearing some of your thoughts I think we are going to love it.

I did see some mention of construction but that's not really a dealbreaker for us.

One thing to note, you can't use Magical Express with Dolphin and Swan. That's the biggest drawback, but in my opinion not a deal breaker on any level.

DisneyPrincess5

It sounds like this is the perfect spot for you guys then! DH and I don't have kids yet either so I hear you about the adult friendly vibe of the S&D and Coronado.

I forgot to mention-not sure what your professions are but the S&D offer discounts for teachers and nurses, probably military, AAA, and maybe a few more.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
See here:

So, some background on the Swan and Dolphin: The Swolphin both is and isn't a Disney hotel. Basically, Disney is letting an outside hotel chain run a Disney resort rather than run it themselves. They did this to attract conventioneers who were used to hotel chains and had points with them (originally Westin and Sheraton, both bought out by Starwood, which is now bought out by Marriott).

It is a Disney resort:

* Disney advertises the Swolphin as a Disney resort on their site and it shows up in resort searches.
* Disney has a say in how they operate.
* Disney characters show up for their character meals.
* Disney gets a share of their earnings.
* Disney provides free transportation within 'the bubble' (buses and ferries, but not Magical Express to/from the airport).
* Disney staffs their Disney ticket center.
* If you stay at the Swolphin, parking is free at the parks (but not at the Swolphin itself).
* You get Extended Magic Hours
* You get the 60 day window for FastPasses.
* Park purchases can be sent to the Swolphin for pick-up later.
* You get all the golfing perks of staying at a Disney Resort

It is not fully Disney:

* You can use Starwood/Marriott points there, which you can't at other Disney resorts.
* The accounting system is separate which means you can't charge to room at the parks.
* They don't do MagicBands (no free ones, no MB door unlocking, but, you can buy your own or use old ones from other visits).
* They charge for parking at the Swolphin (other Disney resorts don't charge for parking at the resort).
* They have a mandatory resort fee.
* You don't have Magic Express to/from the airport (but you do have free bus and ferry within the Disney bubble).

As a convention resort, the clientele is more adults and less children. Occasionally, the lobby will be full of conventioneers moving to their next event. And it's cheaper than the other resorts on Crescent Lake (the lake between Epcot and Hollywood Studios). Often $200 a night or more cheaper.

It is very much a Deluxe resort. It has high class restaurants and shops. Excellent pools. A spa. Character dining. A gym. Children's activity center. Full room service. Full business class services. People argue over whether it's appropriately themed enough to be a Deluxe. While you're not going to get a bed shaped like a pirate ship, it's as nice as the Contemporary or Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, or Floridian whose theming is nothing more than fine architecture and art. And the Swolphin has that, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, you can walk to two parks. I love that. And you can walk to any of the fine restaurants/bars of the other resorts on the lake including the BoardWalk.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Dolphin over the Swan. Mostly because most of the amenities (completely shared by the two... same owner) are in the Dolphin: gym, laundromat, all-night cafeteria, ice cream shop. The Swan is just slightly more luxe than the Dolphin, but, I'd rather not carry laundry to another building.

correcaminos

We love it there and if you can get a good rate, book it! That was my resort of choice for many years (only DVC changed it) and I think they are among the best on property. Yes it isn't exactly like a Disney hotel but the service is to notch and the rooms are very well appointed. You get the Disney transport and ideal location.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
No Magic Band. No charging privileges on Magic Band. No Disney Gift Cards accepted at the restaurants and lounges. Resort Fee. Parking Fee. No Magical Express. Those are the negatives.

You will get: Bus Service, Boat Service to Boardwalk, DHS, Epcot, a room with 2 Queens (Swan), walking distance to the Boardwalk. The general vibe is that from a Disney owned property.

If you are a Marriott/SPG member, make sure you look at your points: Swan is a Westin, Dolphin a Sheraton.

dclfan

Original Poster
One thing to note, you can't use Magical Express with Dolphin and Swan. That's the biggest drawback, but in my opinion not a deal breaker on any level.

Mears roundtrip from MCO is like $30 and worth not having a car! The speedway gas station is walking distance too for beers and snacks!

We've never used magical express in all my years of going to Disney o_O. My patience level once I'm off the plane is zero so we usually just jump in cab or Uber and head straight to the hotel.

dclfan

Original Poster
It sounds like this is the perfect spot for you guys then! DH and I don't have kids yet either so I hear you about the adult friendly vibe of the S&D and Coronado.

I forgot to mention-not sure what your professions are but the S&D offer discounts for teachers and nurses, probably military, AAA, and maybe a few more.

If your credit is good and you've never had the American Express Starwood preferred Guest credit card you could sign up for that and get the sign on bonus for a large amount of points that may cover several nights of your stay

I am a realtor @DisneyPrincess5 and my fiance is a tour manager. I think he has triple AAA, I will have to check. I know we are starwood members but never really put two and two together until now that I could take advantage of that at Disney.

@Minthorne I have an American express card do I have to re-apply for card specific too starwood hotels? I will look into this options as well. Thanks so much.

dclfan

Original Poster
@MisterPenguin thanks for all of the information, much appreciated. I think you covered all of my questions. I think the Swan or Dolphin is perfect for what we are looking for.

@helenabear thanks for responding. Location and disney transport along with EMH and fastpass rezzies is pretty much all I am looking for in a Disney resort. On a side note how do you like DVC?

@scorp16 thanks so much I will definitely be looking into our starwood points.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I am a realtor @DisneyPrincess5 and my fiance is a tour manager. I think he has triple AAA, I will have to check. I know we are starwood members but never really put two and two together until now that I could take advantage of that at Disney.

@Minthorne I have an American express card do I have to re-apply for card specific too starwood hotels? I will look into this options as well. Thanks so much.

You will get a AAA discount. Won't be much but you'll get something.

Marriott bought Starwood so you can transfer points between the 2 programs. If you have an AMEX charge card you can also transfer AMEX points into SPG at a clip of around 1,000 Amex points = 450 SPG. Last I checked 10,000 SPG points get you a free night at D/S (you'll still pay parking....sometimes they'll waive the resort fee if you ask at check-in provided you hit it off with the front-desk person - you know the "I didn't know about the resort fee when redeeming points...is there anything you can do?" or a similar kinda spiel.

dclfan

Original Poster
You will get a AAA discount. Won't be much but you'll get something.

Marriott bought Starwood so you can transfer points between the 2 programs. If you have an AMEX charge card you can also transfer AMEX points into SPG at a clip of around 1,000 Amex points = 450 SPG. Last I checked 10,000 SPG points get you a free night at D/S (you'll still pay parking....sometimes they'll waive the resort fee if you ask at check-in provided you hit it off with the front-desk person - you know the "I didn't know about the resort fee when redeeming points...is there anything you can do?" or a similar kinda spiel.

That is great to know. My fiance makes friends with everyone. I will let him do all of the talking when we check in.

I need to do some research on my AMEX card and look into my starwood points before I book anything.

correcaminos

@MisterPenguin thanks for all of the information, much appreciated. I think you covered all of my questions. I think the Swan or Dolphin is perfect for what we are looking for.

@helenabear thanks for responding. Location and disney transport along with EMH and fastpass rezzies is pretty much all I am looking for in a Disney resort. On a side note how do you like DVC?

@scorp16 thanks so much I will definitely be looking into our starwood points.
I love DVC. I was going every year several times a year so it made sense. We still book Swan and Dolphin for family that needs it because of the location since we like it that much there. But for us DVC allows us in one and 2 bedrooms so it is more of like being at home. We spend a lot of time at the resorts and even in the room so it is important to have space. Been owners for 13 years and just added on again Friday lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom