Have you ever run races on consecutive days, weeks?

a2grafix

Original Poster
Dilemma, dilemma.

So far in 2013 I have run my first and only half marathon. That was back in January, MLK Jr. weekend in Baton Rouge. The Half at The Louisiana Marathon. I did awesome, 2:22.57, about 13 minutes before the first marathoner crossed the finish line.

I'm scheduled to run three more half marathons before the year is out - Disneyland Half and Wine and Dine Half (coast to coast!), and the St. Jude Memphis Half Marathon in December.

After signing up in the past week for a Memorial Day military remembrance 5K in Memphis, I found out that there is another half marathon and full marathon running in December, six days before the St. Jude Memphis event - that I am already registered for.

It's the Space Coast Marathon and Half in Cocoa, Fla., near Kennedy Space Center http://spacecoastmarathon.com/.

I'm tempted to enter and continue to enter this race for the next five years because (partially) for the cool finishers medal bling, I'm a military man, an Air Force man, and a space geek. I was near the Spacecoast of Florida one time, and that was in 1985 in June and July on a family vacation to Central Florida to hopefully watch a Space Shuttle Challenger launch (scrubbed, and later rescheduled for the fateful frigid February 1986 morning).

The Space Coast Bling:

main_6.png

Now is my chance to visit again. Sure the race is a few days after Thanksgiving, and it's Black Friday weekend, and it's six days before the St. Jude Memphis marathon and half. Can I do it? I think I can. Can I run 13.1 miles TWICE in six days? I think I can. I can easily get to Orlando, rent a car, and stay in Cocoa, and maybe drive to WDW for a day.

No wait, this will be weird. If I do it, I will run the W&D Veterans Day weekend and three weeks later return to Orlando area to run in the Space Coast half. Three half marathons in two different states in a month. Whoah. Even better, four half marathons in three states in two months. Crazy, right?

Question, have you run races, be it 5Ks or halves or full marathons or a continuation of an ultra or triathlon, on consecutive days or on consecutive weekends? Any advice?

LindsayLoves

Totally do-able! I have run races on consecutive weekend days - but they have been short 10k and 4 milers in one weekend. A week rest between halves is enough for me but how does your body do with lots of mileage? This is something only you can answer. Will you be going for PRs each time or just having a nice enjoyable run? I find it REALLY hard not to race while I am in a race. Even if I tell myself I am going to take it easy my Type-Aness will not allow me to do just that unless I am running with someone for fun who is slower than me.

Edited to say - those medals are pretty awesome. I think that would be motivation enough for me.

geaux_half

I've run races on consecutive days in consecutive states in my quest to run half marathons in all 50 states. I remember the sensation in the fall of 2006 when I first completed a back to back double state weekend. Upon completion of the Applefest Half Marathon in Hollis, New Hampshire Saturday morning, looking around at the finishers enjoying the post race celebration, my first thought was I need to get back to my rental car asap to get cleaned up and checked out of the hotel in order to make it to the expo packet pickup for the Sunday morning race. The last thing I normally think about upon completion of an event is the expo for another. I've since completed 4 other back to back state weekends and Goofy in 2010.

This year I have run half marathons on consecutive weekends in January and earlier this month and have October races on consecutive weekends planned as well. I ran a 1/2 in Gulf Shores, AL the same day as the WDW Marathon. Gulf Shores had the same weather as Orlando; unseasonably warm and humid. Knowing that I had the Louisiana 1/2 in Baton Rouge the next weekend, I treated Gulf Shores as a training run. I see that you did the Louisiana 1/2 as well; the weather for that race was about as ideal as it gets. My May back to back weekends were run in Brookings, SD on the 11th and Fargo, ND on the 18th. Brookings had a morning low of 34 with a high temperature of 58. Fargo started out with thunderstorms and 60; several runners struggled with the warm weather and high humidity.

You certainly can do it; I just wouldn't run all out at both races. Pick one to focus on based on how you feel and race day conditions. Good luck1

fmingo36

Agree w/ Lindsay--totally do-able. Remember you don't have to cross the finish line first..you just have to cross it! Just pace yourself and you'll be fine.

bethram

I had planned to run half two weeks apart this spring, but the first got cancelled due to weather issues. My theory was that I was running 13+ miles every weekend any way so why not run races so close.

This past Sunday I ran a 5k and we are running another on Saturday, 6 days apart for a 5k is nothing to me. I usually run 3.5 to 4 miles three days during the week plus one weekend longer run.

I say go for it!

Texas84

Yikes. Another reason to move to FLA. I did the January WDW half then the Robins AFB Air Museum half the next weekend and was actually faster at Robins. Probably because it was 25 degrees. Those were my first and second official halfs. This weekend I have a Saturday 5K and a Monday 10K. Six days is plenty.

a2grafix

Original Poster
Do it, you only live twice.

(sorry, James Bond reference)

Never say never ... again. Right?

Totally do-able! I have run races on consecutive weekend days - but they have been short 10k and 4 milers in one weekend. A week rest between halves is enough for me but how does your body do with lots of mileage? This is something only you can answer. Will you be going for PRs each time or just having a nice enjoyable run? I find it REALLY hard not to race while I am in a race. Even if I tell myself I am going to take it easy my Type-Aness will not allow me to do just that unless I am running with someone for fun who is slower than me.

I'm just starting out with running long distances, and long meaning anything under 7 miles. I'm starting to train for Disneyland Half, so far so pleased. I'm not in it for a PR. Anything better than 2:22.57 is a PR. That's my mark I want to get lower.

When I look at it, the thrill of running 3 halves in a month in two states and four halves in two months in three states just sounds stupid fun. And the bling is motivation as well.

a2grafix

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I am leaning toward entering the Space Coast half. Just boggles the mind that I will be running a "marathon", technically, in a span of a week. Getting excited thinking about it. Just have to figure out airfare and how to fund-raise for the St. Jude Memphis marathon and half.

Yeah, going out to have a fun run. If I get faster as the year progresses, so be it.

As Barney Stinson would say: "Challenge accepted!"

Even better, "Space Suit up!"

dreamfinder

Doing multiple races over a span of days is fun. Done 3 Goofys so far (2 unofficial Dopeys). Also have done a 5k at night, then a 5k the following morning. 1/2's on consecutive weekends, etc. Thinking about registering for a race called the Triple Threat. 1 mile race, then a 5k, then a half. All after each other with like 30 mins in between. Could be interesting.

As Lindsay said, its all about how your body will handle it. I normally do my tempo and LSD runs back to back on the weekends anyway, so doing races back to back is not terribly different than my training. As long as you train properly, you can do pretty much anything given time.

Kristia

You should be fine as long as you keep your weekly mileage up. I did the Goofy this year and have done 5k/half marathon on sucessive weekends. When training for the marathon, my long runs on each weekend were between 10-20 miles so a few halfs in a row is definitely do-able if you train. BTW, those medals are awesome! I guess they are the same for the half and the marathon? My husband is a plane/aircraft junkie. Showed him the medals and he sooooo wants them LOL! I don't know if we can make that far of a trip 5 years in a row for races. Definitely not in the cards this year.

Mad Stitch

Those are some cool medals. I think you can do it. I had plans to run a half marathon in Cleveland, hop on a 3 o’clock flight and then run the ToT 10 miler in the same day. But the Cleveland race has been moved to Sunday and I don’t want to take a red eye back to Cleveland in order to run in both of them, so the ToT is out.

a2grafix

Original Poster
In August of last year I ran 30 minutes on a Friday, for about 3 miles, my normal daily run that I was training for the 2012 Tower 10 miler, then the following morning ran a military hero 5K in 27 some minutes, my fastest ever. Felt fine both days.

Yes, I agree, it has to deal with my training regimen.

Duh, should have known a lot of you have done the Goofy at WDW or unofficial "Dopey" runs at Disneyland. Amazed at some of you running half marathons like @geaux_half on consecutive days. I'm way not where I can run super long distances on quick turns, but I shall see how I can do with a week apart.

Boggles the mind that once you say you ran a half marathon, friends and family say "hey, there's a half marathon in my city on such and such date. Come on up and visit!" My mom did that to me. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, and she said there is a half marathon in early October on the east side of town along Lake Erie. I have it marked down but if I do it, then I would be running six half marathons in five months in five states (Calif, Ohio, Florida 2x, Tennessee, and Louisiana).

In addition to the Louisiana Half (Rendezvous3) in Baton Rouge in early 2014, I'm starting to plan out my 2014 running calendar. Love to travel the country, and I guess this will be it - seeing the sights and running by the sights. On the agenda in 2014 will likely be the Marine Corps Historic Half in May in Fredricksburg, the Air Force Marathon in September in Dayton, the Glass City Half in April in Toledo, Motor City Half in October in Detriot, and the Space Coast Half in December in Cocoa.

Ariel484

Those are some cool medals. I think you can do it. I had plans to run a half marathon in Cleveland, hop on a 3 o’clock flight and then run the ToT 10 miler in the same day. But the Cleveland race has been moved to Sunday and I don’t want to take a red eye back to Cleveland in order to run in both of them, so the ToT is out.
...Boggles the mind that once you say you ran a half marathon, friends and family say "hey, there's a half marathon in my city on such and such date. Come on up and visit!" My mom did that to me. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, and she said there is a half marathon in early October on the east side of town along Lake Erie. I have it marked down but if I do it, then I would be running six half marathons in five months in five states (Calif, Ohio, Florida 2x, Tennessee, and Louisiana)...
Are you both talking about the Rock & Roll Half? :) I was very surprised that they moved the race (maybe there's something else going on downtown that Saturday?), and they canceled the one in Pittsburgh altogether. Hmm...

Kristia

In August of last year I ran 30 minutes on a Friday, for about 3 miles, my normal daily run that I was training for the 2012 Tower 10 miler, then the following morning ran a military hero 5K in 27 some minutes, my fastest ever. Felt fine both days.

Yes, I agree, it has to deal with my training regimen.

Duh, should have known a lot of you have done the Goofy at WDW or unofficial "Dopey" runs at Disneyland. Amazed at some of you running half marathons like @geaux_half on consecutive days. I'm way not where I can run super long distances on quick turns, but I shall see how I can do with a week apart.

Boggles the mind that once you say you ran a half marathon, friends and family say "hey, there's a half marathon in my city on such and such date. Come on up and visit!" My mom did that to me. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, and she said there is a half marathon in early October on the east side of town along Lake Erie. I have it marked down but if I do it, then I would be running six half marathons in five months in five states (Calif, Ohio, Florida 2x, Tennessee, and Louisiana).

In addition to the Louisiana Half (Rendezvous3) in Baton Rouge in early 2014, I'm starting to plan out my 2014 running calendar. Love to travel the country, and I guess this will be it - seeing the sights and running by the sights. On the agenda in 2014 will likely be the Marine Corps Historic Half in May in Fredricksburg, the Air Force Marathon in September in Dayton, the Glass City Half in April in Toledo, Motor City Half in October in Detriot, and the Space Coast Half in December in Cocoa.
@Fievel should see this thread. I know he did a bunch of half marathons last year I think. I can't remember how many but I know there were a few pretty close together.

Mad Stitch

Are you both talking about the Rock & Roll Half? :) I was very surprised that they moved the race (maybe there's something else going on downtown that Saturday?), and they canceled the one in Pittsburgh altogether. Hmm...

Yes, I’m talking about the Rock & Roll Half. I wasn’t surprised when they moved it. I can see how moving the race from Saturday to Sunday would help the traffic situation.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Yeah...I did 7 half marathons last year, and 10 or 11 races total....I was busy, particularly in May, June, and September. On 3 separate occasions I ran on back-to-back weekends, with only 6 or 7 days between events.

Running races close together isn't a huge deal, you just need to be aware that your body needs attention in between. Focus on taking in protein, particularly after the first race, and make sure you are getting hydrated as well. Your body is going to be trying to recover from being in race mode, and anything you can do to assist that helps. Eating healthy, and eating enough between races is huge. If I knew I was running multiple races, I would lay back a bit on the first one. It helped recovery.

The only time I had trouble was when I ran the ToT 10-miler 6 days after setting a PR at the 1/2 marathon distance. I was on a plane the next morning, then out in WDW for a few days, and I really wasn't watching how I took care of myself...and also didn't hydrate properly. I went from 40 degrees and rain to 80 degrees in a matter of days, and my body never adjusted properly.

Temperature will be a big factor. Watch the temps and humidity and plan accordingly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom