Have you ever not felt the magic?

Susan Savia

I can totally agree about the FP+ system. We want no part of having to book, rebook, wait for a certain moment to make that call etc just to be able to go on a ride a few minutes faster then someone else. We want our vacation to be spontaneous and not be guided by a schedule we have to keep just to ride or eat someplace. We just returned in September from 10 days and had no problem using the single rider lines and standby lines and had little to no waits. I think a lot of the magic has been lost when you go on your long planned for vacation and have to have every minute of your day booked in order to have a good time. There are a lot of things we don't like (like dumping Off Kilter) but we will continue to enjoy our favorites and hope that Disney has some great new surprises coming up.

216bruce

Go to Disneyland- as a couple of others have mentioned. No FP+, much better crowd IMO and just a more 'Disney' feel to it. For me, WDW is more and more a place for folks to go to and experience 'product' in a planned, regimented and "get 'em in, get 'em out and take the money" kind of way. The locals that go to DL just really help the feel of the place. For so many of them, it's a huge part of their life and the folks who work there are more knowledgeable and more 'Disney'. The attractions are wonderful, well kept up and the place still feels magical. It's cozy and feels 'lived-in'. Less planned and artificial- if you can say such a thing about a theme park. It's hard to describe.
I really think a lot of it is the crowd. I never feel pushed, shoved or like I'm about to get run-over there. With EPCOT becoming a shadow of it's former self and DHS being a 'half-day', park with no identity anymore- the ONLY thing DL doesn't have is an Animal Kingdom, but if you want a pure magical Disney experience, head west.

Allym146

I'm worried about this for our next trip, which is why I'm leaning more towards doing something else in the coming year and taking a longer break before our next Disney vacation. Although, I would LOVE to go on a Disney cruise. Unfortunately my H is set against it. He wants to go on a cruise, or Disney, but not a Disney cruise???! Maybe try taking a break, or doing DL or DCL. Is there any way something else could be going on with your husband? If he normally loves it and is not a very critical person, I'd talked to him and make sure everything is ok. Could have just been extra stress from life that bubbled over into vacay. My H deals with insomnia and his excitement doesn't always exactly shine through hahah. I have to remember that sometimes.

Livialovesdisney

Yes, I have!!! I got sick, like you! It was when I was a lot younger and we were staying at a hotel, not sure which one.. But anyway, I had a great time at Disney riding the rides and whatnot. That night, we had dinner at the hotel. I had the most delicious slice of chocolate cake... Not long after that, I get the worst stomach ache ever! I'm not sure if I had ate too much or ate something bad, but I spent most that night crying and running to the bathroom. But I felt alot better the next day, and on the ride home. Still was a horrible night and remember it VERY well although it was years and years ago. Funny how we remember certain things so clearly. Never ate another chocolate cake from Disney again(Most likely not what upset my stomach, but I don't care. Haha!)

I feel you. I made plans for a quick, 2-day trip with my daughter to surprise her before my big surgery, but not at the 180 day mark... oh no, at the 80 day mark instead. I started stressing out how to get reservations at a princess meal, what FP+ to book (still no ETWB sigh). I think it's important to keep a loose schedule, but because of FP+, you kind of put yourself in a rigid day at the parks. I have specific times where I have to be in certain places and it makes it that much stressful for me. Who knows how my 6 year old will react? She might complain about all the walking, or she may want to do something else that I didn't plan for and then the heartbreak of explaining that mommy isn't waiting 90 minutes for a 2 minute ride will hurt.

I got up at midnight to do our first wave of FP+... there are people who literally squat on dining reservations until the last week (I see them all popping up now, thank god). It's frustrating. The whole damn experience is frustrating as hell.

Thumper14

Go to Disneyland.
Stay at the Grand Californian with a theme park view.
Have coffee on your balcony and watch the sun as it lights up the Grizzly bear!
Dine at the Blue Bayou and then ride Pirates.
Plan to spend a day at Carsland. See it in the early morning sunlight and the neon at night.
Get in the single rider line and race each other on Radiator Springs Racers, 3-4 times.
Ride the Mater tractors! This brings on belly laughs!
Wrap up the day at Flo's V8 with coffee and a slice of pie and watch the Canyon in the night lights.
Have the character breakfast at the Storytellers Café and dine with Chip and Dale.
Baloo will bring you Mickey waffles.
Ride the Red Trolley.

If the magic does not come back after that visit, there is no hope for him.

You can find magic at WDW.
My husband is so-so about WDW, but he enjoyed our visit in April for our 33 anniversary.
It was our first visit in several years of going to DLR.
I lured him by buying the Train tour. Not my thing, but it thrilled him.
We discovered the balcony of Pinocchio's Village and took in Fantasy Land while dining.
We took in the shows, and the less popular rides like Carousel, Jungle Cruise, and People mover.
One night, we grabbed ice cream cones at Hollywood scoops, ate them in line at Tower of Terror.
The tower at night is AWESOME!
I found a bench and watched the kids at Casey Jr. Splash 'N' Soak Station, as he meticulously took pictures of the train station. I resisted joining the kids, I wished I had now.

WDWoptmist

Disney is actually going through an exciting time I think...right now is not very magical because of all the changes and change rubs alot of people the wrong way and yeah Disney takes their sweet time building new things but just think 10 years down the line when we have so many new attractions to experience like Star Wars and even though I'm not a big fan of Avatar I'm sure they will make it a truly unique experience. As for FP+ I cant spin that positively I think the whole system is awful and was a HUGE was of money yeah the Magic Bands are cool but thats about it we end up not using our Fastpasses half the time now because we like to be spontaneous in the parks and not have to plan every damn minute of our trips weeks/months in advance but all in all maybe try taking one year off from the parks and see what happens the next year...absence makes the heart grow fonder and if he loved once he will love it again! We go all the time living in Tampa and every now and then we go through 2-3 month periods where we just need a break and want to do other things (blasphemy I know!)

Graham9

Our last trip in WDW was mired by Fastpass+, which did everything to put a dampener on everything. It was buggy, unreliable, it gave you stuff you didn't ask for, it denied you stuff you did ask for, it took CM after CM after CM before it actually worked the way it supposed to....and the whole thing made me question what exactly was supposed to be in any way 'magical' about this band?

Did it add to my vacation? Yes, but only in the negative sense. There was nothing positive I could say about it. Before MB's, I had the 'keys to the kingdom' card, which let me in my room and I could charge against. I had a park ticket which I could get in a line for and get my Fastpass, along with everyone else. All the MB has done is take all that away.

Why?

JIMINYCR

Ohhhh no... I'm having nightmares that I will have the same feelings as your husband. Reading about the horrors of FP+ and the failures others are having getting things booked and all the other issues encountered just might put a damper on my next visit. I've never felt dread about booking a trip or come home from one feeling disappointed yet. I can understand your husbands lack of enthusiasm about returning and your fear that his Disney thrill is gone. Hopefully we all can get past this period of frustration and Disney will realize their experiment has gone astray. :cry:

dupac

Finally, I suspect that the real magic on your earlier trips wasn't really WDW. It was enjoying WDW together. My recommendation is to listen to your husband - take a year or two off. Go somewhere else that is new and exciting that you two can enjoy together.

I just want to emphasize this. Part of why WDW is so special to me is the wonderful memories I have there with my loved ones. So, maybe one year go somewhere else. You'll get to make new memories, and often absence makes the heart grow fonder as well :)

wogwog

Our last trip in WDW was mired by Fastpass+, which did everything to put a dampener on everything. It was buggy, unreliable, it gave you stuff you didn't ask for, it denied you stuff you did ask for, it took CM after CM after CM before it actually worked the way it supposed to....and the whole thing made me question what exactly was supposed to be in any way 'magical' about this band?

Did it add to my vacation? Yes, but only in the negative sense. There was nothing positive I could say about it. Before MB's, I had the 'keys to the kingdom' card, which let me in my room and I could charge against. I had a park ticket which I could get in a line for and get my Fastpass, along with everyone else. All the MB has done is take all that away.

Why?
$$$ and to control us. Disney does not want you to leave property. Plan then follow the plan. Do not deviate.

I only do California and DCL now. So the Mouse still gets my money but I do not feel like a lab rat as I did at WDW post MM minus. They only want once a year folks or one and done visitors to maximize $$ spent per guest.

Thumper14

I went to WDW April 27-May 1. I had not been in several years. I was introduced to the MDE in Jan when I booked the trip. We booked a stay at the Dolphin. First disappointment was no magic bands for Dolphin guests, but the RFID cards worked great. Next I had a little trouble linking our hotel reservation in MDE, but with patience worked it out over the phone. I was able to book our FPs at 30 days and had no issues and even changed them in Park on my iPhone-no issues. I loved the ability to book the ADR online. Was able to secure most of them. I had to try several times but finally booked Dinner at BOG for the night of our anniversary. Wohoo!

You just have to have a little patience and a plan B.

J_Carioca

Original Poster
Wait. You actually felt betrayed because your husband didn't enjoy the trip as much as you?

Maybe betrayed isn't the best description. Hurt may be more accurate. I was a WDW fan before meeting my husband, but he got into it in a very big way over the years. His reaction this time makes me sad because Disney is something that we really shared together. It's not like I'm angry with him, just sad.

J_Carioca

Original Poster
Now my girlfriend and are in 24 & 25 and this is something we even did, we hate taking our phones while in the park it just seems too 'normal', as its something you do when your back at home, not something your meant to be using all the time while on holiday. WDW is an escape for many people, but bringing in FP+ makes that escape a little more difficult.

I couldn't agree more!

Graham9

Now my girlfriend and are in 24 & 25 and this is something we even did, we hate taking our phones while in the park it just seems too 'normal', as its something you do when your back at home, not something your meant to be using all the time while on holiday. WDW is an escape for many people, but bringing in FP+ makes that escape a little more difficult.

I fully agree with this. I work with IT and computers everyday. When we come to WDW, it is a relief to have two weeks away from them. I never, ever want to see one from start to finish. (I will compromise that a little as I bring a tablet to watch films on the plane journey - but that's a personal choice.)

It really sticks in my throat that now I HAVE to go through this nonsense with computers just to go on stuff, when I really, really don't want to. In addition, instead of turning up at a park and wandering around and deciding what to do, I have to plan it out to the hour 30(?) days in advance. So my vacation is regimented and restricted.

A wider question with all this technology, what about those who simply can't use a PC or can't get access to a PC? How soon will it be before they are turned away at the turnstiles?

Figments Friend

Try Disneyland.

What he said...
WDW lost me ...to Disneyland's special 'magic'.
You will never understand until you actually GO THERE and experience it with a open mind.

I highly recommend that long time WDW vets DO THIS!
GO to Disneyland ! 'Walt's Park' !
You will gain a unique perspective and it will open your eyes to what is currently going on in FL.
No FP+ nonsense..no booking rides/meals 6 months in advance.
No 'over-planning' nonsense. You can actually FEEL like you are 'on vacation' again at Disneyland.
Best yet, you are in beautiful Southern California...surrounded by thousands of other entertainment options instead of the humid swamps of Central Florida.

At Disneyland, you can show up at the front gates, walk in, and do what you feel like on a whim.
Period.
No mega-planning, no 'commando touring'. Just walk in and start having fun.

Once i was 'spoiled' by not having to stay 'on site', book everything i might want to do 180 days in advance, and enjoy a completely different crowd of attendees, i have had a hard time finding a real reason to go back to WDW....and that is coming from someone who adored that Property from the late 70s on.
I won't go..even though i could get in 'free' for four days via a still valid PH Pass.

Nope...i would rather spend the money to fly out to Disneyland.
That is where i truly get more 'bang for my buck' now.

So just do it, WDW Vets. Make the jump to the 'other Coast' and visit Disneyland.
With the big 60th Anniversary coming up, and all the awesome planned entertainment and Park upgrades, next year would be a great time to go.

So GO...
You will be glad you did!

:)

Last edited:

Thumper14

For planners like me the changes are exciting.
I was concerned that I needed to bring my iPhone into the park now.
But on my last visit is was not as bad as I thought it would be.
It helped that I bought a jeweled Snow White case for it.
Sometimes you just have to put on your best Mickey Ears and roll with it.
What would Pooh do? Just say "Oh Bother" and buy a balloon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom