HAUNTED TIKI MUG

Stevek

Limited edition means they have a better excuse to charge more.
They really don't need to use that term to charge more. There are so many HM fans that they'll pay through the nose for anything that's cool or different. I think the 60th mug was LE as well but there were plenty of those around for most of the 60th and I believe the price was similar.

It's crazy how fast they ran out. It feels like the person who leaked the info about the mug's release is kind of a party pooper. When a bunch of people know about the merch, they're gonna go and buy it in a heartbeat while they can, and ruin it for anybody who shows up after the hype.

Stevek

My buddy that works there went by on Friday and talked to a couple of folks at the end of the line which apparently went all the way back to the Frontier Tower...those folks were told it would be a 2 hour wait. Assuming many of those are up on ebay now. Nice job kids.

SSG

Original Poster
I can’t think of a good reason why there was such a limited supply other than rank incompetance. Every time a new mug appears at Trader Sam’s, the collectors want them. I remember a couple of years back there were lively sales of the Zombie mug and it was like the 3rd or 4th version of that one. Add in the Haunted Mansion tie-in, which has a huge following for novel merchandise, and a huge line is the most predicable thing I can think of.

SSG

Original Poster
I read some firsthand accounts on MiceChat that people were getting around the ‘two only’ rule by purchasing their two, plus two for their kids…including kids in strollers, who we all know are huge tiki mug collectors. Others were approaching guests at Sam’s and offering to buy them the drink if they got to keep the mug. At a 500% re-sale mark-up I guess that’s a sound strategy.

Last edited:

HRHPrincessAriel

I read some firsthand accounts on MiceChat that people were getting around the ‘two only’ rule by purchasing their two, plus two for their kids…including kids in strollers, who we all know are huge tiki mug collectors. Others were approaching guests at Sam’s and offering to buy them the drink if they got to keep the mug. At a 500% re-sale mark-up I guess that’s a sound strategy.
This just disgusts me.

Phroobar

I'm surprised this thread has caught on around here. Usually merchandise threads are pretty ignored. I guess if it has to do with drinking everyone is on board. Someone needs to start a thread about the Cove Bar. I bet it would go on for years!

SSG

Original Poster
I'm surprised this thread has caught on around here. Usually merchandise threads are pretty ignored. I guess if it has to do with drinking everyone is on board. Someone needs to start a thread about the Cove Bar. I bet it would go on for years!
True, but this topic has broader appeal than the usual merch thread, This brings in Trader Sam fans, Mansion fans, Tiki Mug collectors, Disneyana types, plus we can bash greedy fans and Disney for being incompetent. What’s not to like?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom