Haunted Mansion Refurb

Daveeeeed

The old Haunted Mansion look was more of its own, but you have to have updates to keep it fresh, and they did a good job with the new look. Things, even rides that are supposed to look old become dated. I consider this a "Win"

The Empress Lilly

I prefer the abandoned and creepy feel. It doesn't really make sense for the outside to be pristine--who's fixing it up?
'In what might be considered to be an odd twist to a supposedly abandoned structure, the exterior appears pristine and the surrounding grounds are meticulously maintained. Designers wanted to make the exterior of The Haunted Mansion look like a stereotypical run-down and decrepit haunted house, but Walt himself overrode the idea, claiming "we'll take care of the outside and let the ghosts take care of the inside.'​
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/The_Haunted_Mansion_(Disneyland)

andre85

'In what might be considered to be an odd twist to a supposedly abandoned structure, the exterior appears pristine and the surrounding grounds are meticulously maintained. Designers wanted to make the exterior of The Haunted Mansion look like a stereotypical run-down and decrepit haunted house, but Walt himself overrode the idea, claiming "we'll take care of the outside and let the ghosts take care of the inside.'​

I'm well aware (I even have a Disneyland AP). It doesn't change anything

NearTheEars

I thought that had more to do with the setting the mansion is in at DL in New Orleans square.

The Empress Lilly

I thought that had more to do with the setting the mansion is in at DL in New Orleans square.
Walt meant the setting and the house itself. Lesser Gods than Walt after him keep making the same mistake, as they did with ToT too, in DCA more glaringly so than in DHS. Disney Parks aren't about ruins, aren't about danger, about decrepit areas. The Disney sentimentality thrives on beauty. Even the scary bits.

2008-0518-131.jpg

2008-0518-131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

andre85

Walt meant the setting and the house itself. Lesser Gods than Walt after him keep making the same mistake, as they did with ToT too, in DCA more glaringly so than in DHS. Disney Parks aren't about ruins, aren't about danger, about decrepit areas. The Disney sentimentality thrives on beauty. Even the scary bits.

2008-0518-131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ruins and decrepit areas can still be beautiful; they're not mutually exclusive.

yeti

2008-0518-131.jpg

2008-0518-131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I agree with this philosophy as it pertains to the Haunted Mansion, but rides like ToT and Phantom Manor use the "aged" look very effectively. They might lack the subtlety and sophistication of WED's approach, but I don't think it's a crime to be spooky from the get-go. It just entices anticipation in a different way. IMO of course!

NearTheEars

2008-0518-131.jpg

2008-0518-131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The story of ToT needs the outside to be in disrepair. If it wasn't, it would be quite confusing to find a rundown interior and a storyline saying it has been closed for years.

As far as houses go, there's plenty of beautiful homes that are allegedly haunted. So I think DL mansion being pristine is OK as well.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The Keeper. The happy haunts only truly materialize indoors once they are called on by Madame Leota.
And Madame Leota, being the gracious debutante that she is, would never be seen in a home not well maintained. It would be a social faux pas wothy of her being excommunicated from the Junior League of Mediums.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
there used to be night time effects that ran sporadically...a candle light that traveled through the conservatory... shadows in the windows...the occasional flash of lightening and clap of thunder... that studd was great. I have not seen the conservatory effect work in years...It would be nice to see some subtle, well done effects implemented... I think projection mapping is the best way to make it happen...

The shadow still is in the window and last I recall the thunder sound was still somewhat existent.

I remember seeing the shadow still working... and the thunder and strobe flash... from time to time... they need to get that conservatory effect back up and running...

It was working just before the scaffolding went up. It's a fairly reliable effect but is easy to miss because it doesn't happen continuously.

How about the wandering candle?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I prefer the abandoned and creepy feel. It doesn't really make sense for the outside to be pristine--who's fixing it up?

I think its part of the supernatural part about it.. When you see some stand-off-ish property that you don't see what's happening or people.. yet you know things happen or are not abandoned... how does it happen? Its like... magic?

When you see something move or change... yet you don't understand how... that kind of thing.

MotherOfBirds

When DL's HM was built, keeping the exterior pristine made sense. DL was young and still had something to prove, and it might have not registered with guests that the distressed and ruined facade was not actually run-down. Guests now pretty much trust that the facilities are safe. After visiting PM, I would much rather see my HM look a little overgrown.

prberk

When DL's HM was built, keeping the exterior pristine made sense. DL was young and still had something to prove, and it might have not registered with guests that the distressed and ruined facade was not actually run-down. Guests now pretty much trust that the facilities are safe. After visiting PM, I would much rather see my HM look a little overgrown.

A lot of people mention Phantom Manor here, but I have to admit that I do not know much about it to compare. I have not seen every page of this thread, either; so I may have missed it even on this thread. I apologize if so, but does anyone have a good pic or way to show the differences? (I saw the video of the projections on the last page, but that does not show the attraction; it does give me an idea of the façade, though, but still it is covered.)

Last edited:

Bairstow

A lot of people mention Phantom Manor here, but I have to admit that I do not know much about it to compare. I have not seen every page of this thread, either; so I may have missed it even on this thread. I apologize if so, but does anyone have a good pic or way to show the differences? And, pardon my ignorance, but is it in Paris or Tokyo or Hong Kong? (The castles and Space Mountains I know to compare the international parks, but not so much the mansions... .)

Tokyo's Haunted Mansion is largely the same as Florida's, though it's located between their Fantasyland and Critter Country and the approach angles are very different.

Phantom Manor is by far the most divergent variant of the Mansion series, as it has an actual plot and a Western motif.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom