Haunted Mansion Ghosts?!?!

artdude323

No one has mentioned that the ghosts in the Tower of Terror are also a Pepper's Ghost effect, but the ghosts are at a 45 degree angle to the viewer in that case.

Wannabe Walt

Original Poster
In Tower of Terror? Really? They looked like projections on a Scrim to me. Hm... But I never expected for this thread to get replies for like a year (or more) now! lol. Thanks for all the help guys!

Also, Dakotadogy, to answer your "Forced perspective" question...yes the ballroom is a FP. There is an actual ballroom there, but there is a backdrop that makes it look bigger. When we entered it for the first time on our last trip (first time on that trip, not ever...I've been on it quite a few times now) I was like "Whoa! This is tiny compared to what I remember it being!" I don't know what it was, but the forced perspective didn't work on me for some reason. I was looking ALL OVER for those flippin' AA Ghosts! I couldn't find them! I looked behind me, I looked above me...and I believe I looked below me too. I was sooo mad lol. :lol:

EpcotGirl

The way the ghosts are is a techniue that is from the 19 centuary called peppers ghost named after the last name of the creator

peter11435

CoffeeJedi said:
hmm..... why didn't they just mount the actual lcd in front of you? at first i figured "safety" but then... i think i'd rather smack my face into an lcd monitor than a piece of glass, ouch!

Most likely so guests could not damage the (expensive) LCD screens.

CoffeeJedi

wow, old thread

that makes sense about the vandalism issue for M:S though

i just realized that Dakotadogy was under the impression that the ballroom ghosts were projections. just for the record, they're AA's

SpenceMan01

The panes of glass in the ballroom are mounted between the pillars you see in the room.

Just an FYI. I know people were wondering...

peter11435

CoffeeJedi said:
wow, old thread

that makes sense about the vandalism issue for M:S though

i just realized that Dakotadogy was under the impression that the ballroom ghosts where projections. just for the record, they're AA's
yeah, there are no projectors.

PencilTest

Just to throw in my two cents...
If I'm not mistaken, in Disneyland's Stretch Room, both the floor goes down and the ceiling goes up. Really accentuates the whole "stretch" feeling. And I've heard that one of the reasons that WDW's Stretch Room goes up is due to Florida's high water table. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'd imagine that lowering unsuspecting tourists into a foot of water would take away from the show somewhat.

Connor002

PencilTest said:
Just to throw in my two cents...
If I'm not mistaken, in Disneyland's Stretch Room, both the floor goes down and the ceiling goes up. Really accentuates the whole "stretch" feeling. And I've heard that one of the reasons that WDW's Stretch Room goes up is due to Florida's high water table. Don't know if that's true or not, but I'd imagine that lowering unsuspecting tourists into a foot of water would take away from the show somewhat.

The reason WDW's rooms don't go down is because they don't need to. WDW's HM is located inside the park, whereas DL's needs the rooms as a way to lower guests under ground to take them under the train tracks and into the attraction, located outside the tracks.

peter11435

Connor002 said:
The reason WDW's rooms don't go down is because they don't need to. WDW's HM is located inside the park, whereas DL's needs the rooms as a way to lower guests under ground to take them under the train tracks and into the attraction, located outside the tracks.
Exactly. It has nothing to do with Floridas high water table.

Creekboy25

So if you wanted to, you could like trough something, and it would land on these sheets of glass... that would be wretched if someone did that, it would kinda ruin that whole scene.

~Dawson

CoffeeJedi

Creekboy25 said:
So if you wanted to, you could like trough something, and it would land on these sheets of glass... that would be wretched if someone did that, it would kinda ruin that whole scene.

~Dawson
already done years ago with a bb gun, check out the "spider web" in front of you, they hid the damage to avoid removing that giant pane of glass (which would involve removing the entire roof of the show building)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I remember reading somewhere that as they were building the Mansion that they had thought far enough ahead to purchase an extra pane of glass for the effect in case one was broken.

However, they didn't think far enough ahead to prepare a way to get it into the show building itself, so it still sits outside the show building.

darthdarrel

peter11435 said:
yeah, there are no projectors.
Actually that is not entirely true as Madame leotas face is projected onto a head form inside the head form and little leotas face is also projected onto a doll like form.:wave:

peter11435

darthdarrel said:
Actually that is not entirely true as Madame leotas face is projected onto a head form inside the head form and little leotas face is also projected onto a doll like form.:wave:
You are correct. Those are projectors, as our the singing busts. However my comment was referring to the ballroom scene.

Lovecraft

peter11435 said:
Most likely so guests could not damage the (expensive) LCD screens.

I think the screens in Mission Space are also fashioned with lenticular lenses to produce the 3D without need of glasses effect they have.

In fact, you could produce a peppers ghost like effect with digital projections if the stereo-scopic projections are angeled correctly onto a lenticular lense -- the problem that would arise though I think is that everything behind the lense would appear messed up. Bah-- never mind it wouldn't work right, you would have to use holography for digital projections to work correctly for numerous viewers at different angles.

goofntink

I remember reading somewhere that as they were building the Mansion that they had thought far enough ahead to purchase an extra pane of glass for the effect in case one was broken.

However, they didn't think far enough ahead to prepare a way to get it into the show building itself, so it still sits outside the show building.

Actually two were purchased. One of the glass "Mirrorpane" panels were replaced a few months after MK opened in the following year in 72. It was broke by a guest who threw a glass bottle into it. When it broke it was actually heard on Main ST. After it was replaced Lexan panels were installed on the balcony to prevent it from happening again, and they are still there today. Also, to answer the question how was it replaced, a slot was cut into the roof to allow the glass to be lowered in to the glazing channel directly above the broken piece. The last piece of glass was discarded years ago, because the coating was stained from moisture in the case it was shipped in.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^Interesting - thanks goofntink. :wave:

I remember going to WDW and seeing the Haunted Mansion before the Lexan was installed and it was very difficult to notice ANY glass.
(I believe it was late 71 or early 72, it was cool outside)

The next trip was about a year later and the main thing that sticks out in my mind about the second trip was the EXTRA glass that I noticed in the ballroom.

It really does make a difference, but I still love it.

terp79

Projections onto glass...

A few posts back some of your where talking about projections onto glass and someone was saying that it wouldn't work....actually new technology has been plussed around the pepper's ghosts effect. Did any of you see the Gorillaz performance at the 48th Annual Grammy Awards a year ago...a combination of the pepper's ghost fx/LCD Screen/and digital Animation. This old palor trick is even being plussed at WDI as we speak.

darthjohnny

A few posts back some of your where talking about projections onto glass and someone was saying that it wouldn't work....actually new technology has been plussed around the pepper's ghosts effect. Did any of you see the Gorillaz performance at the 48th Annual Grammy Awards a year ago...a combination of the pepper's ghost fx/LCD Screen/and digital Animation. This old palor trick is even being plussed at WDI as we speak.

That is true. On a recent episode of "Pimp My Ride" on MTV, they put a fold down glass plane in the car that could actually have a movie projected on it. Maybe they'll update the Haunted Mansion soon with this technology (not saying to replace Pepper's ghost, but just add something.) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom