Has Pixar Lost Its Touch?

ellie-badge

I guess I'm in the minority, I really like Cars 2. I have heard nothing but great things about Brave from actual people, not critics. I could really care less about what critics say anymore. Y'all remember a little movie with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson called Batman? The critics destroyed that movie before it even came out and swore it would be a bomb. It's also funny how the critics bad mouthed John Carter (and lack of advertising was it's demise in the box office), yet my wife said that everywhere she looked for it on Blu-Ray, was sold out! I say the heck with the critics and form your own opinions.....this is just mine.

Precisely. Cars got the same rating as Brave on Rotten Tomatoes, but I and many, many other people love that movie to bits. I have an inkling that Brave will fall into the same category as Cars: critics will say "meh," but most others will love it like most every other Pixar movie. I'm waiting to see the movie for myself before I make a real opinion on it, though.

lebeau

Original Poster
Dear lord I saw Brave and I thought it was amazing, the only people I have seen complain about it have been male Pixar fans. It may be because I was never that crazy about most of Pixar's films that I love Brave so much, being a gay male it can sometimes be hard to find a film you relate to nowadays and I found Brave to be really touching and it charmed me from beginning to end. To call it a Pocahontas is a HUGE insult and going way too far, I think its just not what the average Pixar fan expected/wanted and they are whining for more predictable films about toys and bugs (or even some new ones about clothes and the lint in your belly button). My point is this film is a great step forward for Pixar in that it shows that they can produce darker and more emotional movies. I loved the movie, I'm going to see it again he today and other than the devout Pixar fans I haven't heard any real negatives about the film in general.

It's better than Pocahontas. I'll grant you that. But I think its legacy may be the similar.

Did you read the reviews I quoted above. Even the positive reviews contain negative comments.

As for only men disliking Brave, my seven year old daughter cried her eyes out. After the movie, I had to console her during the closing credits. Later, she said, "Brave is a very sad movie and I will pretend I never saw it."

I'm glad you enjoyed it. But don't try to paint some broad picture that anyone who has a complaint with the movie is a raving Pixar lunatic.

lebeau

Original Poster
I'll admit the movie is not for small children (which I like actually) but I will say a lot of the negative reviews were Pixar fans complaining it was too much like a "Disney" movie even though Pixar is Disney. What I like about this film also is that its a big middle finger to the people who say animated films are kids films.

However, the advertising sure doesn't say that! So it's also a middle finger to a lot of Disney and Pixars core customer base.

I'm all for complex animated films. Up did a great job of balancing grown-up these with family-friendly entertainment.

Having said that, my main problem with Brave is that the pacing is off and the tone is all over the place. Even with the adult content, they still put in naked rear ends and jokes about automated phone messages that are right out of a Dreamworks movie.

Enchantâmes

Another thing Children cried during The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King. Why? Because they all have intense, emotional, and dark scenes just like Brave, something which a lot of Pixar films lacked in my opinion.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But what is the basis of your opinion? You must have some facts to back up this theory. Otherwise, you're just pulling it out of thin air. I have presented a very reasonable argument against your conspiracy theory. Do you have anything to back up your opinion. Anything at all?

As far as Wall-e, oh. I see. You're one of THOSE people. Makes sense now. Never mind.
I don't think I proposed a conspiracy theory. I just made a comment about what I perceive the situation to be. If I said that in my opinion the sky is orange, I don't have to have a bucket full of facts to provide what I perceive to be an orange sky.

As far as being one of THOSE people, then so be it. THOSE people make up the counter balance for people like YOU.

Animaniac93-98

Cars 2 was still a hit at the box office, but for the first time the reviews were less than stellar. And audiences expressed disappointment.

I'm just going to quickly point out (as it furthers your point) Cars 2 may have been a "hit" but according to Box Office Mojo it broke the streak of $200+ million domestic earners for the studio and was the least atteneded of any Pixar movie (the earning number was higher than some due to inflation and 3D prices).

lebeau

Original Poster
I don't think I proposed a conspiracy theory. I just made a comment about what I perceive the situation to be. If I said that in my opinion the sky is orange, I don't have to have a bucket full of facts to provide what I perceive to be an orange sky.

As far as being one of THOSE people, then so be it. THOSE people make up the counter balance for people like YOU.

But the sky isn't orange. If you're going to claim it is, you need to have something to support it.

And if the social satire of Wall-e gets in the way of enjoying a great movie, I feel bad for you.

lebeau

Original Poster
Another thing Children cried during The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Lion King. Why? Because they all have intense, emotional, and dark scenes just like Brave, something which a lot of Pixar films lacked in my opinion.

It's true. But Josie sat through those movies without shedding a tear. Brave is on a different level. Which is fine. But a lot of families are going to feel mislead when they see that Brave isn't the movie the marketing dept is selling.

Edit: I have no idea what that Toy Story pic was supposed to mean.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's true. But Josie sat through those movies without shedding a tear. Brave is on a different level. Which is fine. But a lot of families are going to feel mislead when they see that Brave isn't the movie the marketing dept is selling.
So what or how is the film being marketed as something it is not? Again, after our viewing, practically the entire theater (well, those I could hear clapping behind me and the people I could see in front of me clapping.....you know, just to add an element of proof for my comment) were very satisfied with the movie.

Animaniac93-98

Wall-E has a 98% approval rating on RT and is among the IMDB top 250 (#57 as of now). "THOSE" people, don't seem to be doing a good job at "counter balance". At best, they're the fringe minority, especially when considering those who did not like Wall-E for non-political reasons.

Out of curiosity, did you hate The Muppets (2011) too?

Enchantâmes

So what or how is the film being marketed as something it is not? Again, after our viewing, practically the entire theater (well, those I could hear clapping behind me and the people I could see in front of me clapping.....you know, just to add an element of proof for my comment) were very satisfied with the movie.
The people in my theater applauded the film as well just saying.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Wall-E has a 98% approval rating on RT and is among the IMDB top 250 (#57 as of now). "THOSE" people, don't seem to be doing a good job at "counter balance". At best, they're the fringe minority, especially when considering those who did not like Wall-E for non-political reasons.

Out of curiosity, did you hate The Muppets (2011) too?
Hate, no. Have I seen better, yes.

lebeau

Original Poster

It's being marketed as a family-friendly fantasy. The commercials focus on a headstrong princess having an adventure, a quirky supporting cast and some cute teddy bears. It completely ignores the main plot of the movie (which I won't spoil here), the fact that it centers on a mother-daughter conflict, the scary violence (both in the form of a huge "demon bear" and something else that I still won't spoil).

I'm glad the audience you saw the movie with enjoyed it. Currently it has an 85% approval rating from audiences on RT. That's respectable. But it's not the rating of a beloved classic.

I think Brave will do just fine at the box office. But I think even if audiences like it well enough, it will impact the customer-loyalty to Pixar in the long run.

lebeau

Original Poster
The people in my theater applauded the film as well just saying.

Not that it matters much, but since we are sharing...

After the movie was over, one person clapped once. Then they realized no one else was applauding and stopped.

Again, doesn't mean anything. Just saying.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not that it matters much, but since we are sharing...

After the movie was over, one person clapped once. Then they realized no one else was applauding and stopped.

Again, doesn't mean anything. Just saying.
You should not let other people sway your enjoyment of the movie. If you liked it, you should have kept clapping.

lebeau

Original Poster
You should not let other people sway your enjoyment of the movie. If you liked it, you should have kept clapping.

That's funny.

And for the record, I liked the movie okay. It just wasn't up to what I expect from Pixar.

(I was too busy consoling my oldest and waking my youngest to clap.)

lebeau

Original Poster
Well, Pixar's 13 for 13. Brave is Pixar's 13th straight film to finish top of the box office on it's opening weekend with 67 million.

This is true. But a lot of people feel like Cars 2 was a dissapointment. And per my original point, Pocahontas was a hit. But it did damage to the Disney brand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom