HAS ANYONE SWAM WITH MANATEES?

yensid67

Original Poster
We are constantly evolving our trip plans, we are now looking at Swimming with the Manatees at Homosassa River. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before at any venue on the west side of FL? Was it worth it? What should you have done that you didn't?

We are driving from PA and have thought to just spend the first night on Homosassa River at a local resort for easy access to the Manatee swim the next day and then travel to Orlando and check in at our hotel for the rest of the week!

Nemo14

I've never swam with them, but did encounter a couple while canoeing the Weeki Wachee river. It was pretty neat.
If you just want to see manatees in the wild, I highly recommend Blue Springs State Park in Orange City if you're going in the winter. They congregate there in the winter, and are pretty awesome to watch. Here's a picture I took in late January this year:

Last edited:

yensid67

Original Poster
Thanks for the posts...

Now I am torn!:( I understand the article and that these creatures should be left alone since they are endangered. BUT they are SOOO CUTE! I wonder if I could fit one into my bathtub!? Just kidding! My dogs would go nuts! I ENVY those that live alone the canals near these places and have Manatees visit each day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom