Has anyone read the new Walt book

noname70

Considering the fact that the author is a leftist America - hating media member, I would suspect the text to take some shots at Walt.

sleepybear

I just started it last night and so far it's very compelling. From his lengthy introduction, the author seems to have a genuine respect and admiration for Walt's genius while still understanding that he was a flawed, complex man.

Considering the fact that the author is a leftist America - hating media member, I would suspect the text to take some shots at Walt.

:lol:

Well, I have it out from the library right now and it's pretty good. But very detailed. I can usually finish a book of this length in about a week but this one's taking a while. I'm enjoying it but I might have to actually renew it before I finish...

miles1

My DW gave me the book for Christmas. So far I've gotten all the way to page 5 :lol: Hopefully next week when the kids are back in school I'll have some quiet time each day to read; I'm really looking forward to it.

Scar Junior

Not so fast...

I understand your point of view, as a film/entertainment student I've read many B.S. articles by Neal Gabler. I also watch Fox News Watch every week (a show on which he is a regular) and disagree with him 75% of the time. Imagine my surprise when I get the book and realize he is the author.

The book has given me a new view of Gabler. Granted, I'm only about 50 pages into it... Nevertheless, I'd suggest reading it before you take shots at the author.

He does mention Elias' politics several times but it is in context and helps explain things well. Thus far, no shots at Walt, but like I said before I'm only 50+ pages into it.

I suggest everyone read it, even if they don't like Gabler. It might change your opinion of him like it has mine.

Scar Junior

No, but I probably will, when it comes out in paperback. It's cheaper in paperback, and it's easier to carry, when in paperback.

Funny, I'm the exact opposite. I hate paperback books and often have spent the extra $10-15 just to get hardcover editions. They get damaged and bent much faster than hardcover books, plus your library looks better when it is filled with hardcover books.

MKCP 1985

I am reading it, also. I'm in the part where Mickey Mouse has really taken off, and it has taken a lot of reading to get here. The book spends a great deal of time detailing the earliest of early days of Walt's efforts to get his business up and running. The Alice Comedies, Oswald - all are given more detail than in other Walt Disney biographies I've read.

It is a very thorough account, so enjoy. :wave:

Scar Junior

I'm at the same part too. I love this book... though I just received "Married to the Mouse" and "The Disney War" this week. So I'm having trouble deciding if I should finish "The Man Behind the Mouse" before I start those.

In response to an earlier question, I don't see any Walt bashing. I feel that the 'controversial' parts (i.e. how and when Mickey was created) are covered fairly. Walt's creative accounts of his past aren't always 100% correct and consistent. Many of his most proud moments have been told with different details... the book lets us know the different versions but doesn't dwell on them. It states them and moves on. I still have yet to find the "Walt bashing" that people have spoken about.

MKCP 1985

Just to follow up on the review, I've slowly made my way through the chapters and am currently reading about his planning for the opening of Disneyland.

I'd say the book does take a rather sharp turn in its portrayal of Walt Disney from his early ventures to the point where I am now. As the reader proceeds along, the portrayal of Walt Disney as a person becomes increasingly unflattering.

jiminy.cricket

I'm at the same part too. I love this book... though I just received "Married to the Mouse" and "The Disney War" this week. So I'm having trouble deciding if I should finish "The Man Behind the Mouse" before I start those.

In response to an earlier question, I don't see any Walt bashing. I feel that the 'controversial' parts (i.e. how and when Mickey was created) are covered fairly. Walt's creative accounts of his past aren't always 100% correct and consistent. Many of his most proud moments have been told with different details... the book lets us know the different versions but doesn't dwell on them. It states them and moves on. I still have yet to find the "Walt bashing" that people have spoken about.

I started DisneyWar this weekend and I can't put it down! This is the reason I have to stay up to type 8 pages tonight!! Anyway, it's really interesting and a little scary, so I would finish the biography first before getting hooked on this one!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom