Has anyone gone to WDW in January?

kdl121

Hi everyone, my name is Katie, I'm new to the forum :) I'm here because in the next two or three years, I would like to go on a Birthday trip (January 21st) to WDW with a couple of friends. This would actually be my first ever trip to WDW! I've heard late January is a good time to go, in terms of value deals at the resorts and less crowds and such. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has gone in January, and if you could tell me what it was like weather-wise and crowd-wise and just your general experience.

Rutt

We are going the 13th-18th and staying at AKL. We rented a DVC studio with Savannah view. Can anyone tell me whether we should still have good animal viewing experiences? Also we are thinking just doing MK and EPCOT being that we have a conference for three of the days we are there. Is there enough to do in Jan at AKL to keep us busy or should I grab the park tickets too? It's just the wife and I this time so no need to entertain little ones (other than me)

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

January is a awesome time to go, possibly my favorite time to go. Lines are rare, weather is perfect sometimes on the chilly side or s little warm, no rain. Anytime after the first week, the run disobey Walt Disney world marathon weekend is the first/second week and can be busy but other than that it's very quiet. Resorts are usually pretty empty, never have to wait I busses, restaurants are all usually available anytime.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

We went this last January. We got married there during he trip. We were there for 7 days. 2 days were dedicated completely to the weddding which was awesome. Parks were pretty empty though. Weather was a lil issue. The temperature was never warm, jeans and tshirt or even jacket weather during the days, def. jackets at night. We got lucky the day of the wedding it wasn't too cold. The day after it was ok during the day and got cold at night and the day after that it was cold, like high of 45 cold. But the lines went bad. They have the crane up behind the castle though for taking the lights off for Christmas from early January through the end of the month though.

Upvote 0

Greenlawler

Also, it looks like you are going later in the month, but if you go around the second weekend, that's when the marathon is. It doesn't affect crowds that much, but they do close down some roads, so getting around on busses can be a pain.

We've been running the marathon for 10 years. Been doing Goofy and last year Dopey. Seems like "as with everything these day" they have gotten more popular every year and the crowds at the parks have risen during this time too.

Just some thoughts on marathon weekend's effects after going for the last decade.

1. This year the marathon weekend crowds will arrive on January 8th.

2. There will be little rise in park crowds until probably the 10th where you will see a little spike in the MK or Epcot but not in AK or DHS.

3. The biggest difference the marathon makes (aside from some road closures) is in lodging as the resorts will fill quickly.

4. Epcot will get a larger increase on the 11th and all the other parks will too but not significant enough to avoid.

5. Downtown Disney will be crowded the night of the 11th.

6. The crowds will be gone on the 12th.

7. It is impossible to guess the weather. I hear we are in for a cold winter, but it was unseasonably hot for the race weekend in 2013, and it snowed during the half marathon in 2011.

Upvote 0

Roakor

Thank you for all your input so far :D

Oh, I should probably mention I'm from Canada, so I don't think I'll be a stranger to the cold :) but would it be safe to say I'll be packing more jeans than shorts? And when you say cold, will I need heavier hoodies or lightweight hoodies? I'm also not a major swimmer, so no bathing suits will be packed on my end.

The hotel pools on site are heated and there is noting like an outdoor hot tub when its 40 degrees out :). I went there once in jan for a wedding. Weather is a crap shoot. You could have 70+ or you could have below 40 for highs. Most of the water parks and water rides close in Jan for refurb so if you really want to swim jan is not a good idea. Also check all the ride closures as many others also shut down in jan for refrub.

Upvote 0

acrab3t

We've been in January twice. First time was the Sunday after the marathon. January 9 2011.Crowd levels were low but there were lots of Brazilian tour groups. We stayed in a value and so did the Brazilians. Made going to the quick service at the value a nightmare. As long as you didn't get stuck behind them in line it was fine. They like to save spots and before you know it you have 30 teens cutting in front of you. The weather was very pleasant during the day but nippy at night. Just take a thick fleece, gloves and hat and a backpack to store them when it warms during the day. It is cold but not Canadian cold.

We went the week before the marathon for our last stay and stayed in a deluxe that time(BC). January 3, 2013. Crowds at the resort were low. The crowd level at the parks was busier than 2011 but I think it was the tail end of the Holiday crowd. Some rides are closed for refurb but that wasn't a big deal. I think Splash mountain is always the one we miss but who wants to get wet in the cold anyway. It wasn't as cold as 2011 so we did go swimming at Stormalong Bay.

January is my favorite time to go as far as crowds. at the end of January you will just miss the Christmas decorations. If that isn't a deal breaker the low crowd levels are a huge plus. You will have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

71dsp

We've gone a few times in January. The tour groups can be annoying at this time, but that's the only negative that we encountered. Crowds are great, and the weather is awesome. In 2011, it was unusually cold, so the mornings and nights required jackets, but I seem to recall more than a handful of days in January that I wore shorts during the day and changed into jeans at night.

Upvote 0

COrunner

We did end of January/Early Feb 2 years ago.

There are tour groups and sporting events (I think there was a basketball tournament and cheerleading comp) but so long as you aren't in the All-Star or Pop you shouldn't see them outside of the parks.

Otherwise weather was good, lower than average regular crowds. We are heading back Jan 2015 and hoping for the same!

Upvote 0

Nelly2016

Thank you for all your input so far :D

Oh, I should probably mention I'm from Canada, so I don't think I'll be a stranger to the cold :) but would it be safe to say I'll be packing more jeans than shorts? And when you say cold, will I need heavier hoodies or lightweight hoodies? I'm also not a major swimmer, so no bathing suits will be packed on my end.

I realize this thread is quite old, but I'm in the same boat! Canadian, heading there for January 2017 with some friends. If you don't me asking - how was the trip? Any tips? Did it make a difference with the weather being Canadian?

Upvote 0

Rutt

My wife and I went last January. While cooler than our usual September trip, being Canadian it was still rather warm. Being from Toronto, I would say maybe normal May like weather. The pools are heated so they were very nice. The only thing I found really different was the sun just didn't seem as bright (sounds kinda corny, but it dampened the magic a bit). Being Canadian though it was a welcome break from the cold lol.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Since we live where it is warm all year, we love visiting in Jan with its lower temps and low crowds. I'm the one you see walking around WS wearing a knit hat, a jacket, and gloves! For someone used to the cold, it will seem only mild or cool and there were plenty of people wearing shorts. And, with the days being shorter, it just brings the park lights on even earlier- and my favorite time is dusk/after dark when the parks take on an entirely different feel and look.

If you can wait, early March is not a bad time, either. Temps are warm and the crowds are still low. Any later than that and you'll be running into Spring Break. Neither time is a bad choice.

Upvote 0

Nelly2016

Since we live where it is warm all year, we love visiting in Jan with its lower temps and low crowds. I'm the one you see walking around WS wearing a knit hat, a jacket, and gloves! For someone used to the cold, it will seem only mild or cool and there were plenty of people wearing shorts. And, with the days being shorter, it just brings the park lights on even earlier- and my favorite time is dusk/after dark when the parks take on an entirely different feel and look.

If you can wait, early March is not a bad time, either. Temps are warm and the crowds are still low. Any later than that and you'll be running into Spring Break. Neither time is a bad choice.

Thanks for the tips! We are now thinking about the middle of February. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom