Has anyone experienced flying with medical equipment?

HollyAD

Original Poster
I know this is a long shot,however, my mom is on dialysis. She does peritoneal dialysis, which consists of a night time cycling device. She has just told me it is larger than a normal carry-on when packed in it's carrying case. Therefore, it will probably not fit in an overhead compartment on the plane. Has anyone experienced taking medical equipment on the plane? I have researched this on the TSA site but it is very vague. Her supplies can be shipped down by the dialysis supplier but the machine itself will not be. I also plan to let WDW know that we will be expecting a package of medical supplies. I will also obtain a letter from her Dr.

SteveW

My mom was on PD dialysis and we were told by her dialysis provider that you can travel on planes with the cycler...but that it had to be gate checked. Your dialysis provider should/can provide you with a solid shell carrying case for the device. We never traveled with it by planes, but the PD nurses seemed think it would work fine. I would definitely call the airline to let them know. Make sure her supplies are there before traveling.

HollyAD

Original Poster
I do plan on calling the airline for their suggestions. However it is nice to hear how other people actually deal with these situations. The dialysis provider did give her a case but it seems large to be a carry on.

SteveW

We were told that because of its size, that we would have check it at the gate. I think the reasoning is for better control of the device when placed in the baggage hold. It should not count towards any baggage limit or costs either. Have you already already contacted your dialysis supplier? We were told that they would need x amount of weeks advance notice to make the delivery of supplies.

Weather_Lady

Yes, do call the airline -- generally, medical equipment does not count toward your baggage allowance, but it will have to be checked if it doesn't comport with carryon baggage dimension limits. (It would be a good idea to know the exact weight/measurements of the dialysis machine in its carrying case before you call.)

Good luck, and I hope you and your mother have a terrific trip!

HollyAD

Original Poster
We were told that because of its size, that we would have check it at the gate. I think the reasoning is for better control of the device when placed in the baggage hold. It should not count towards any baggage limit or costs either. Have you already already contacted your dialysis supplier? We were told that they would need x amount of weeks advance notice to make the delivery of supplies.
Yes her supplier knows about the trip. I don't know if I would trust checking the cycler and it being out of her possession. Maybe I am just anxious about it.

SteveW

I would be concerned about it too. Does she have a direct flight? If so, I would feel a lot better about it. Also, given that it is a vital medical device, I would think the airlines would be especially careful with it.

HollyAD

Original Poster
I would be concerned about it too. Does she have a direct flight? If so, I would feel a lot better about it. Also, given that it is a vital medical device, I would think the airlines would be especially careful with it.
Yes we do have a direct flight thankfully!

WesleyIrwin

Well you need to call the airline first; generally they allow emergency medical equipment to travel. However, it needs to be checked for carryon baggage dimension limits. There are certain protocols defined by FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) regarding emergency medical equipment which you need to check before communicating with airline. I hope it will be of help for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom