Harry Potter

Princess Leia

I started reading the books when I was 8 (just started the 3rd grade). Goblet of Fire had just come out, and the books were everywhere. I devoured Book 1, then my mom got hooked and recommended it to my dad. My sister was 7, and over the next few months, my dad read the first 4 books out loud to her. By the time OotP came out, my sister was 10 and old enough to read it on her own. I'll admit that I was a slightly more advanced reader at 8, but if I had tried when I was 6 or 7, I wouldn't have been able to get through it on my own.

JillC LI

Do you drive to school? Audiobook might be a better choice.

I too recommend the Audiobooks. That is how I did the first 4 books back in 2001. Since then I have read them all twice. But I have to say that they guy they got to read for the Audiobooks is fantastic. He does a different voice for each character. It is really quite entertaining.

I third the audiobooks suggestion if permitted. I listened to ALL of the books on my Nano while running. Jim Dale won a Grammy for it. It's mind-boggling how he has a different voice for each character and you know who is talking before Rowling even tells you.

21stamps

Original Poster
That was my load in college literature, what school and grade does your child go to?

I had to read a novel a week and the rest were shorter readings but 3-5 was about right. I'm sure you are talking about the small books, can't remember what they called them but at my kids school they called them ??? Can't remember but I think one of my kids was in the 200 book club one year. The 100 book challenge is what they called it. It's coming back to me.

I'm not talking novels. These are small books- i.e. The Fly Guy series, and the like. We've been reading those for close to 2 years, they can be easily read in one sitting. The larger (still small comparitively) take more than one day- i.e The Little Prince which we just completed recently. Basically he reads 20 minutes per night plus the online reading, grammar tests.
I think that's pretty standard for Kindergarten and 1st grade. Last year was same reading load, and sentence construction. So far since we've been back to school it's been kind of a review of last year (with language arts only), concentrating a little more on nouns, verbs, pronouns, etc. Their tests are more "write the verb in the sentence" "why is the word here "too" instead of "to"".

This first month of 1st grade has actually been easier than kindergarten.lol. We've been told that going to change once October hits.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input!
I'm going to take a step back on the book. We're either going to switch to me reading, or the audio book, possibly both. I don't think there is any way that we will get to the second one before November, and I may just wait on that one for another year.

I'm glad that there is still plenty that we will recognize at Universal!

21stamps

Original Poster
All of this stressing and questions.. And now...

We aren't doing Universal. Thanks for all who have dealt with my craziness!!! I'm sure I'll have more questions when we finally do go.lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom