Harry Potter

21stamps

Original Poster
We just watched the first movie recently, and also just started reading the book.

When is butter beer introduced into the series? Also Diagon Alley?

I'm sure it will still be exciting for kiddo even if he hasn't read all of the books or watched the movies.

Can anyone tell me the things that we would be familiar with there?

jbphotos

We just watched the first movie recently, and also just started reading the book.

I'm sure it will still be exciting for kiddo even if he hasn't read all of the books or watched the movies.

diagon alley is introduced in the first book/film

& i just googled it but apparently butterbeer is first mentioned in prisoner of askaban (third in the series)

21stamps

Original Poster
diagon alley is introduced in the first book/film

& i just googled it but apparently butterbeer is first mentioned in prisoner of askaban (third in the series)

It is almost painful reading this book. It may take us 6 months lol. I'll have us watch the 1st movie again...just don't want to go beyond that until we complete book 1.

trr1

The book are great and have more details than the movies. I keep say I wish they would have put this or that into the movie. even though
I started on the movies first

21stamps

Original Poster
The book are great and have more details than the movies. I keep say I wish they would have put this or that into the movie. even though
I started on the movies first
Honestly, by the time we get to the end of the 1st book I don't even think he'll remember what happened in the first several chapters.lol

No joke, it is PAINFUL. I'm talking like 20 minutes per page maybe. He is required by school to complete 3-5 books per week, on top of his online reading and tests at home..which means we have to read other things daily..As a result, We get to poor Harry Potter maybe 1 time, sometimes 2, per week. We've completed 5 pages I think. :(.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Do you drive to school? Audiobook might be a better choice. Thank the lord my kids go to a no daily home work school. They have to read but it's their choice what.

My kids only knew the first book/movie when we went and they loved it!

21stamps

Original Poster
Do you drive to school? Audiobook might be a better choice. Thank the lord my kids go to a no daily home work school. They have to read but it's their choice what.

My kids only knew the first book/movie when we went and they loved it!

The best choice would be for me to just read it to him! He wants to do it..sometimes I step in and read a sentence. I think he may give up soon..I hate to say this, but I would be OK with that.lol. Half the time he doesn't even want to read it, and instead chooses something easier. So we'll see. Maybe someday in the near future he will just let his mom take over.

It's tough because I'm a huge reader, and I adore books. Real, hard back, books. I'll read on my iPad or Nook on a plane or at a pool..but at home books only. I'm trying to instill the same love of reading in him..he's just not advanced enough yet to tackle this one. Maybe in 6 months or so. My fault for buying it for him.

I'm glad to hear that your kids loved it! I don't want to go beyond the first one just yet.

Disneyhead'71

I too recommend the Audiobooks. That is how I did the first 4 books back in 2001. Since then I have read them all twice. But I have to say that they guy they got to read for the Audiobooks is fantastic. He does a different voice for each character. It is really quite entertaining.

Songbird76

Butterbeer isn't until book 3 when the trio are allowed to go to Hogsmeade sometimes. Diagon Alley is in every book, as it's where everyone buys their school supplies. You'll see it pretty soon in the first book.
I have not been to the Diagon Alley part of Universal Studios., only Hogsmeade when it first opened. But you'll recognize most of the shops and things in Diagon Alley...Gringott's bank, for example. And Olivanders wand shop. You'll also recognize a lot of other food items. I don't know what all is offered at Diagon Alley, but Hogsmeade had things like cauldron cakes and chocolate frogs and Bertie Botts Every Flavored Beans, all of which are encountered in the first book, I think on the train for the first time. And of course Pumpkin Juice.

My kids struggled with reading the books in English, since it's not their first language, so we watched the movies first to give them a base-line knowledge of canon. We've read the first book in Dutch now and DD read the 2nd one at school I think. How old is your son? (mine are 8 and 10 and they read the first book about a year ago)
I'm a huge reader as well, and my kids read well, but I discovered the first book goes really slow for a child. Not much happens at the beginning and it's confusing. My kids had no patience for it until after they watched the movie. Once they knew what was going on, the books were better because they do give more detail. So I would say start with the movie, and then read the book.

Songbird76

Oh I forgot to say, some of the things you will recognize, but there are also details added from later books. For example, Gringotts is in the first book, but the dragon on the top is not something you encounter until the last book. So you will recognize it, but not necessarily exactly the way it was in the first book, if that makes sense.

21stamps

Original Poster
They only get longer. ;)
When we went to buy it he was hesitant at first. Said " I can't read a book that big." I told him that it's just words put together, if he can read 10 small books then he can read one big one. I just wasn't thinking about all of the unusual words.lol. Mom fail.
Butterbeer isn't until book 3 when the trio are allowed to go to Hogsmeade sometimes. Diagon Alley is in every book, as it's where everyone buys their school supplies. You'll see it pretty soon in the first book.
I have not been to the Diagon Alley part of Universal Studios., only Hogsmeade when it first opened. But you'll recognize most of the shops and things in Diagon Alley...Gringott's bank, for example. And Olivanders wand shop. You'll also recognize a lot of other food items. I don't know what all is offered at Diagon Alley, but Hogsmeade had things like cauldron cakes and chocolate frogs and Bertie Botts Every Flavored Beans, all of which are encountered in the first book, I think on the train for the first time. And of course Pumpkin Juice.

My kids struggled with reading the books in English, since it's not their first language, so we watched the movies first to give them a base-line knowledge of canon. We've read the first book in Dutch now and DD read the 2nd one at school I think. How old is your son? (mine are 8 and 10 and they read the first book about a year ago)
I'm a huge reader as well, and my kids read well, but I discovered the first book goes really slow for a child. Not much happens at the beginning and it's confusing. My kids had no patience for it until after they watched the movie. Once they knew what was going on, the books were better because they do give more detail. So I would say start with the movie, and then read the book.
6. 1st grade.

We'll definitely plan on eating at that part of the park!
Oh I forgot to say, some of the things you will recognize, but there are also details added from later books. For example, Gringotts is in the first book, but the dragon on the top is not something you encounter until the last book. So you will recognize it, but not necessarily exactly the way it was in the first book, if that makes sense.
Ok thanks! I was wondering why there was a dragon in the photos that I've seen.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
I too recommend the Audiobooks. That is how I did the first 4 books back in 2001. Since then I have read them all twice. But I have to say that they guy they got to read for the Audiobooks is fantastic. He does a different voice for each character. It is really quite entertaining.
Maybe I should try that. Play it in the car like someone else mentioned. Then we can shelf the book for a month or 2 and he can try again. Or maybe he will let me read it to him after.

Songbird76

Maybe I should try that. Play it in the car like someone else mentioned. Then we can shelf the book for a month or 2 and he can try again. Or maybe he will let me read it to him after.
I think 6 might be a bit young to read it himself. There are a LOT of unfamiliar words. My 2 are both advanced readers (in Dutch) and they both had trouble with it last year. My daughter is now 10 and does pretty well now. But the audio book would probably be better. You might check the library and see if they have the audio version and have him read along with it in his paper copy. Then he hears the way the words are pronounced and can connect it to the word he sees on the page.
I've read the series more times than I can count on my 2 hands, and my kids have always known I'm a fan, but I didn't let them watch or read it until last year, and I have let them watch up to the 4th movie. They need to be older for the last few books. They get progressively darker. We didn't go to WWoHP this past trip because I knew that there would be spoilers at the park and I want them to experience all the books/movies before they go to the park, but I had no intention of letting them read the last few books at this age. I don't know how your son does with suspense and violence, etc...some kids handle it better than others. My friend had her daughter watching the last movie at 4 and she just laughed at the scary bits, but my son couldn't even watch the 4th one because it scared him. So be aware that if your son has trouble with that kind of thing, you might want to read it first to see if you think he can handle it.

21stamps

Original Poster
I think 6 might be a bit young to read it himself. There are a LOT of unfamiliar words. My 2 are both advanced readers (in Dutch) and they both had trouble with it last year. My daughter is now 10 and does pretty well now. But the audio book would probably be better. You might check the library and see if they have the audio version and have him read along with it in his paper copy. Then he hears the way the words are pronounced and can connect it to the word he sees on the page.
I've read the series more times than I can count on my 2 hands, and my kids have always known I'm a fan, but I didn't let them watch or read it until last year, and I have let them watch up to the 4th movie. They need to be older for the last few books. They get progressively darker. We didn't go to WWoHP this past trip because I knew that there would be spoilers at the park and I want them to experience all the books/movies before they go to the park, but I had no intention of letting them read the last few books at this age. I don't know how your son does with suspense and violence, etc...some kids handle it better than others. My friend had her daughter watching the last movie at 4 and she just laughed at the scary bits, but my son couldn't even watch the 4th one because it scared him. So be aware that if your son has trouble with that kind of thing, you might want to read it first to see if you think he can handle it.

I agree and I admit I made a mistake. I wanted him to be at least familiar with the first movie/ book before going to universal. He's a good reader, but I overestimated with this book, as well as unintentionally setting him up for failure by introducing the book too soon.

I have no intention of going beyond the second movie for at least 2 years. I've heard that they get darker and there's no need for that in 1st or second grade. I really just want him to have a general idea and recognize and be excited for the wizarding world of Harry Potter at the parks. Maybe I should have gone with my initial plan and stuck to Disney for the entire trip.

trr1

was it Stephen Fry or Jim Dale. I like Stephen Fry better. I have all Harry Potter's in all formats Audio, book and film

Songbird76

I agree and I admit I made a mistake. I wanted him to be at least familiar with the first movie/ book before going to universal. He's a good reader, but I overestimated with this book, as well as unintentionally setting him up for failure by introducing the book too soon.

I have no intention of going beyond the second movie for at least 2 years. I've heard that they get darker and there's no need for that in 1st or second grade. I really just want him to have a general idea and recognize and be excited for the wizarding world of Harry Potter at the parks. Maybe I should have gone with my initial plan and stuck to Disney for the entire trip.
Depending on his threshold for suspense, he should be able to handle the story lines for the first two. Just maybe read it to him or use the audio books instead of having him read it himself. He'll get there eventually. But I did the same thing...gave my kids the first book and was like "Let's read Harry Potter!!" and they were all excited because hey, this is one of mommy's FAVORITES. But it totally backfired because they just couldn't get into it at the beginning. So we took a step back, watched the movie first, and now they LOVE it. And I'm sure that eventually, they WILL want to read all the books. I just have to let it be their timeline instead of mine. :( Have you read them yourself? They are amazing!

cdeev8690

Okay, The Sorcerer's Stone was released in 1998, when I was 8 years old. The Deathly Hallows, the final book, was released in 2007 when I was 17. The narrative of each book gradually matures as the characters and the fan base aged. Additionally, JK Rowling used latin-based words to create her own language for her spells which could be challenging for a casual 1st grade reader (I realize there are super human 1st graders who rise to the occasion in regards to advanced reading, I was one of them but I think HP prior to 3rd grade would have been a tough sell after the 1st book). I would introduce the remaining books to your child as he/she gets older but I would try to keep them away from the movies. I'm not sure how kids are these days with books that are adapted into movies, but if I were them, I probably would show little interest initially in reading the books if I've already know the ending.

I think your child will adore the Wizarding World and all it has to offer just by reading one book and hopefully it will inspire him/her to continue reading! I'd recommend splurging on the illustrated version of the books! So far, only the Sorcerer's Stone is available for immediate purchase and The Chamber of Secrets is on pre-order. The book is massive and the full-page illustrations would be great for a young reader (and older ones like myself)
https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter...eywords=harry+potter+and+the+sorcerer's+stone

21stamps

Original Poster
Depending on his threshold for suspense, he should be able to handle the story lines for the first two. Just maybe read it to him or use the audio books instead of having him read it himself. He'll get there eventually. But I did the same thing...gave my kids the first book and was like "Let's read Harry Potter!!" and they were all excited because hey, this is one of mommy's FAVORITES. But it totally backfired because they just couldn't get into it at the beginning. So we took a step back, watched the movie first, and now they LOVE it. And I'm sure that eventually, they WILL want to read all the books. I just have to let it be their timeline instead of mine. :( Have you read them yourself? They are amazing!
I have not. Never seen the movies either.

Okay, The Sorcerer's Stone was released in 1998, when I was 8 years old. The Deathly Hallows, the final book, was released in 2007 when I was 17. The narrative of each book gradually matures as the characters and the fan base aged. Additionally, JK Rowling used latin-based words to create her own language for her spells which could be challenging for a casual 1st grade reader (I realize there are super human 1st graders who rise to the occasion in regards to advanced reading, I was one of them but I think HP prior to 3rd grade would have been a tough sell after the 1st book). I would introduce the remaining books to your child as he/she gets older but I would try to keep them away from the movies. I'm not sure how kids are these days with books that are adapted into movies, but if I were them, I probably would show little interest initially in reading the books if I've already know the ending.

I think your child will adore the Wizarding World and all it has to offer just by reading one book and hopefully it will inspire him/her to continue reading! I'd recommend splurging on the illustrated version of the books! So far, only the Sorcerer's Stone is available for immediate purchase and The Chamber of Secrets is on pre-order. The book is massive and the full-page illustrations would be great for a young reader (and older ones like myself)
https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Stone-Illustrated/dp/0545790352/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474896591&sr=1-3&keywords=harry+potter+and+the+sorcerer's+stone

Thanks! That is actually the one we have! I think I'm going to go ahead and get the nook book. Just hope that doesn't backfire on me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom