1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - Universal Studios

Discussion in 'How do they do that?' started by MattyMitch, Aug 8, 2016.

1. MattyMitch

MattyMitch Member

Hi again,

I was hoping some of you could answer, yet again, my questions.
    My first question starts at load. When they check the seatbelt's there is a few buttons in a column at the left and right of the seats. One flashes white and I assume that means unchecked. Then one of the TM's check the restraints and press the green button at the top. I can see a couple more buttons so what do they do? Are they controls for the station? I have attatched a photo where you can see the white light and the green light.

My second question is, the benches seem very close together. So how do they space it out during the ride? I think the films are much longer than the gaps between the benches. My guess is that the movie domes move along with the car and they do a rotation? That is the only way I can think of how it works.

Thirdly, I do not know if anybody would know this, but where do the wheelchair access benches come out? My brother was in a wheelchair due to an ankle injury and he went to a secondary station, he thinks it was behind the main station. He said the bench was not moving and he got buckled in and they flipped over and went in to the main loop. So I have a couple questions for this. Firstly, where does the car flip over? Secondly, how do they make space for it? Is there a main computer like in ToT that just introduces them at the right time and slows other cars down to make space?

Also interested in anything else cool you know about the ride :)

Thanks

Attached Files:

Tom likes this.
  2. raven

raven Well-Known Member

The only time I have ridden Forbidden Journey is from the wheelchair access point. It is a separate station where the vehicle stops so the riders can transfer onto it. Then they are added in the rotation of the rest of the ride.

As for the screens, they do not move; however, they have a few of them and different vehicles are experiencing different parts of the same area at the same time. When one car is programmed to go to a screen, another car might be programmed to go to another screen or do something different then they switch.

3. Tom

Tom Tom Premium Member

Each ride vehicle is completely independent. They will bunch together at load to look like a continuous train, but think of them more like Peter Pan or TTA. At load, they're nestled together, but it's really individual vehicles (or benches).

I'm sure those lights are safety check indicators.

Edited to remove incorrect statement.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

The screens are on a carousel and the track for the ride vehicles goes around it. The benches enter the screens and the ride vehicles travel in sync with the screens as the carousel rotates.
    [​IMG]
    The handicapped load platform is directly behind the regular load platform. And the ride vehicles enter the regular track during the first floo powder scene.

David2319 and ParentsOf4 like this.
  5. Rob562

Rob562 Well-Known Member

Look for some of the lights-on videos for Forbidden Journey.

-Rob

Tom likes this.
  6. MattyMitch

MattyMitch Member Original Poster

I thought so!

Do you know if the rest of the ride stops to allow proper spacing between benches?

I can link you the video, skip to 21:09 minutes in. You can see the TM appears just to push a button. Maybe confirming that the bench is ready for dispatch? However, it appears the TM simply puts her palm on the top of the status lights, might just be the angle she may just be pressing the button. Maybe their is buttons to stop the car since the TM can't get to the control panel (if there is one) quickly enough. I'd imagine there would be a status light for 'pending' 'dispatch ready' 'restraint unlocked', there could be a station stop, I do not know.

7. raven

raven Well-Known Member

I believe there is a certain place and time for a handicap ride vehicle to enter the flow of other vehicles. We waited quite a while for the handicap vehicle to pull into the load area then once we were dispatched it took a few minutes before it took off and jumped in with the others.

8. MattyMitch

Ah I see! That makes sense.

9. Spideyfreak110

Spideyfreak110 Member

Going along with this... there are actually no buttons on the benches. The top four corners of each bench have an RFID sensor in them. The operator that checks your restraint has an RFID tag in their hand. When they check the restraints they "tag" the vehicle on the front right corner to clear it. When it gets to the end of the load belt, it will go into the ride. If it isn't tagged by the end of the belt, the entire ride will "Show Stop," stopping everything within one second. If for some reason the guest had difficulty getting on in the primary station, the operator can tag the vehicle on the back right side. When it gets to the last scene it will go to secondary load instead of the load belt.

10. MattyMitch

Hi guys,
    I have found a photo of what the lights are on the benches. You can clearly see the green dispatch light, a red one (I assume station stop/unchecked), a blue (Maybe indicates that it will go to the second unload/load station?) and the white 'pending' light.

Attached Files:

11. MattyMitch

Does anybody know why the team members are wearing headsets that occasionally flash green? Sorry to bump the thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

12. Spideyfreak110

Spideyfreak110 Member

^To communicate with each other without screaming or having to leave position to go to a phone.

13. Rui

Rui New Member

There is not station stop button on vehicles... All (most) TMs has a show stop remote control button (called "Remote") on their belt.