1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hard rock hotel mixed reviews ?

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Spectro, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

ive been looking at TripAdvisor and what a bunch of mixed reviews this hotel gets. We are planning on a seven night stay before our Disney stay in September and as this is probably one of the last times we will do an Orlando trip as a family for a few years I want it to be as perfect as possible. Any ideas as to why people have different experiences here ? I've looked at photos location and it looks lovely to me. Only thing I think I would miss would be balconies which for some reason universal resorts don't seem to think important. I thought royal Pacific resort was lovely and also enjoyed cabana bay. This is a treat for us.

2. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

It is a good hotel. Some want to be rock stars and some are wannabe rock stars

danpam1024 and Spectro like this.
  3. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

Pretty much per for the course with any hotel. We've never had a bad stay there.

Spectro likes this.
  4. Tinkerkelle

Tinkerkelle Well-Known Member

We loved it both stays. Pool is fab, The Kitchen does an amazing breakfast, staff were great and the theming was really cool. The walkway to the park is really pretty and takes no time and express passes are soooo good! Trying RPR for our next trip and worrying we might not like it as much?

Spectro and JoeCamel like this.
  5. JoeCamel

You will like RPR every bit as much as the HRH

Spectro and Tinkerkelle like this.
  6. TheDad

TheDad Well-Known Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the top three resorts at Universal.
    My favorites in order are
    1. Hard Rock
    2. Portofino
    3. Royal Pacific

I would give the other two properties a stay but not having the express pass is a deal breaker for me.

Spectro likes this.
  7. Glasgow

Glasgow Well-Known Member

Our last two trips to UNI have been at RPR (3 years ago) and HRH (last year). RPR was a mixed bag for us - we liked the relaxed setting and ambiance but thought the pool area was just nice. Our trip was also tainted by having extremely disrespectful neighboring guests that stayed out late for HHN and then came back and made copious amounts of noise. I had to complain to the front desk and also bang on the walls - finally I had to confront them directly at 2am. Needless to say, not the most relaxing trip (that wasn't the hotel's fault .. but they didn't offer to move us or do anything else to help the situation either, which was disappointing to say the least).

Anyway, HRH has a slightly more amped up feel (see what I did there?) as the name would suggest, although once you get out of the main lobby the vibe is more relaxed. We found the pool area to be much better than RPR, with more beach/sunbathing space and also various quiet, secluded areas. Our kids (10, 7) preferred HRH as well, particularly due to the the afternoon pool activities which were very well done. We did, however, also have a parking issue where I was incorrectly billed (and had to return the next day and jump through some hoops to get a refund) as well as multiple problems with our door key, which resulted in several trips to the front desk and hours of being locked out of our room while maintenance tried to fix it repeatedly. This was a big inconvenience but I have to say that the staff went the extra mile to make up for our lost time, by giving us multiple free drink vouchers, two days of free breakfasts at the Kitchen as as well a movie kit with a free in room movie, popcorn and a candy package. All in all I think we got $250-$300 of credits on our bill - thats how you get repeat visitors, which is why we're returning this September as well.

I suppose the bottom line is that RPR is generally more relaxed, has nice restaurants and a more quaint pool area. HRH has a higher energy feel, fantastic pool area and great restaurants .. and is also a shorter walk to the parks, if that matters.

8. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

I've only stayed at Portofino and it was a high end hotel. Felt laid back to me, pool area was great, food offerings were good. The rooms themselves were bigger then normal hotel rooms but I don't know if that just happened to be the rooms we were in? We just had the AP garden view room which the only problem I could say was it was a decent walk to the boats and the main pool area. Not my problem more the wife's problem. Even the walk to the parks was short in my world. 10-12 minutes? I had zero problems with anything at the Portofino. I also just like the style of the hotel as well, you may not like the spread out feel?

To give you an idea I stay at Hyatt, Westin,Hilton and some times Marriott hotels. Many times in the the concierge level and around the world so it's not like any good hotel would be great to me because I don't know the difference. My favorite hotel at WDW is the Wilderness Lodge but I did have one stay years ago that resulted in a letter to Disney about what was wrong with everything at that hotel. I just had bad luck and they hadn't been keeping up on maintenance. My review is somewhere on this site.

My brother likes the Royal Pacific but he said he first stayed there because it is closer then the Portofino hotel to the parks and cheaper then the Hard Rock, those were deciding factors but he continues to go to RPH. He is a guy who travels a lot on work, had one hotel for years sending him Christmas cards because he stayed there so much. I think one year he racked up 240 travel days for work. In other words RPH can't be bad if he keeps going back to it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Spectro likes this.
  9. Spectro

Spectro Active Member Original Poster

Really helpful posts thankyou everyone. I think HRH is going to be perfect for us closest to parks and a theme my daughters will love. I will stay at portofino next trip,as I think the rooms are beautiful there.

danpam1024 and David2319 like this.
  10. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

HRH is our fav, and I'm always slightly bummed when we have to stay at RPR because of money or timing (no rooms). The pool is the best on property- there is no comparison, especially if you have kids. 91 days and we'll be there!

TheDad and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  11. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

I love ending the day at the Orchid Court- I wish HRH would do something like that with the "living room" space. Just sitting by the window, sipping a hickory smoked old fashioned, eating sushi.....perfection :)
    I think that's the main advantage over the HRH. Honestly, RP pool is weak :(

12. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

RP pool isn't bad, but is ALWAYS really crowded.

danpam1024 likes this.
  13. captainkidd

At Hard Rock right now. We love it here. Only issue is the AC isn't strong enough in the room. Oddly, you can turn it down 5 degrees colder than at the Polynesian, but it doesn't feel like it. All Resorts in Florida need to have ceiling fans and let you turn the AC to whatever you like.

14. JoeCamel

Could it just be your room? Have you asked?

danpam1024 likes this.
  15. captainkidd

Yup. Called front desk and they came down. Had to adjust settings and vents, but seems to be better. We're in a deluxe room which is bigger and a bit oddly shaped, so some parts of the room don't get as much air.

danpam1024 likes this.
  16. Spectro

Spectro Active Member Original Poster

Enjoy your vacation ! I had a hard time deciding between a deluxe room or rock royalty . Decided to go with rock royalty for convenience.

17. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

I have a question about the pool.. has anyone been to Hard Rock Hollywood (Florida). Is it the same as that one?

I've never seen the pool in Tampa, but I think it's similar to Hollywood as well.

18. sonoma15

sonoma15 Active Member

No, the one in universal and the one in Hollywood/Tampa are owned by two different companies.

JoeCamel likes this.
  19. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

Oh I thought they were all owned by the Seminoles. My player's level rewards specifically states that I'm excluded from free rooms at Orlando.. and a couple of others. Wonder why?lol.

I was just curious about the pool.. I absolutely love the pool area in Hollywood. When looking at Uni I like the more unique theme of RPR, but my kid is a pool fan.. so Hard Rock may win out.

20. sonoma15

sonoma15 Active Member

The pool is nice, it has a bar, beach area, slide, and also underwater music.

21stamps likes this.