hard copy maps? or just go with the flow?

ChrissyBethS

Newbie here. Taking our 5 year old for her first trip. Both husband and I haven't been to Disney since we were kids.

A friend mentioned she had gotten laminated maps from mydisneyexperience; while I see the "map" feature, I can't figure out how to get personalized laminated maps from Disney. She raved about them, but I'm wondering if it is worth the effort? or should we just wing it?

We will be in the parks for 6 days; 3 in the MK and one day at every other park. I do have my 3 FP+ set up for mornings, and plan to hit my "wish list" in between those FP events. We are hoping to be poolside @2 each day.

Thanks for any advice!

SAV

Each park and resort have maps readily available, so to me that would just be something else I would have to remember and bring with on the trip and to the parks. But if you really want them:

http://customizedmaps.disney.go.com/

Our touring style doesn't involve leaving the parks, so I can't speak to the leaving the park each day. Seems like a lot of wasted time not in the parks to me.

Upvote 0

LAM378

The keepsake maps are not as useful, IMO, as the maps/times guides that are available at the parks and resorts. They're not as detailed. For instance, the ones I received didn't show restrooms or even restaurants, from what I remember. They're also huge and, laminated or not, I wouldn't want to crush/bang them up on vacation. But they are a nice souvenir to keep at home.

It would be good to check out the actual park maps before going into a park and it's something I wish I would have done in advance. These won't list time-sensitive info like ride closures or current show times, but it helps to get an idea of where things are. If you're comfortable waiting, you can grab them at your resort upon check-in. If not, you can Google them, or buy them for a few bucks on eBay, or, if you can wait 2 weeks, I can mail you some for free from WDW! ;)

I took my 4-year-old this past May and the days we didn't do an afternoon break turned out to be...bad days. Everyone's family is different, but if being poolside by 2 pm is what keeps your family happy and sane and rested on vacation, it's not wasted time.

Upvote 0

Daxiegirl

My TA gave me the maps published 11/13. They were the latest ones she had at the time. They have all the restrooms and other amenities marked on them. No showtimes but I plan on marking our touring plan on them and getting them laminated before we leave and then picking up a map at the gate also.

Back to point: Another option in addition to the above suggestions would be check at AAA if you are a member or go to whichever travel agency to see if you can buy them. Though I like @LAM378 's offer to mail them to you!:)

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

I would get the personalized maps in order to become familiar with the "lay of the land" ahead of your trip. Once at the hotel, you can grab a map to every park at the check-in desk....I think they actually include them with your welcome package. Once in the park, you can use them as a reference but the flow is easy to learn. While walking through the park, you will literally bump into many many guests who are not only using the paper maps but MDE on their smartphones. Approach them with caution....they are more likely than not to stop dead in their track to find something on the map or smartphone. If you are walking behind them, there is a good chance that you will fall right over them. You will even see people using their i-Pads or tablets as cameras or for maps....very very scary because they do not pay an attention to anything around them....pretty much walking, focused on themselves and what they are doing.
As far as going back to the hotel for a swim or nap in the afternoon....you know your child better than anyone else. I have seen many children have a total meltdown because mom and dad had to get to that next FB. Don't push 5 year old....you will pay later. Be proactive and watch him/her for those signs that he/she is about to hit a wall....head back to the hotel for some R and R.....you will be able to go back into the park later in the evening with a much happier child, mom and dad. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daxiegirl

Approach them with caution....they are more likely than not to stop dead in their track to find something on the map or smartphone. If you are walking behind them, there is a good chance that you will fall right over them. You will even see people using their i-Pads or tablets as cameras or for maps....very very scary because they do not pay an attention to anything around them....pretty much walking, focused on themselves and what they are doing.
:cat:

THIS, drives me crazy. Everywhere!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

There are plenty of park maps at the entrances of the parks, grab one on your way in. We got the customized maps to have as framed hangings in our home. The maps you have in the parks get creased, folded, torn, stained, crumpled, stuffed in your pocket or backpack, left behind.:bookworm:
Keep the nice ones you ordered at home to display and enjoy later on.;) They make great conversation pieces and memories of your trips, and best of all....remind you how much you need to go back.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

The customized maps are cute. We always get them for our scrapbooks & memory boxes. But they're a little bit bigger, and I prefer the smaller maps when I'm actually in the parks.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You could get the keepsake map and maps at the parks. You little one might enjoy getting a map at the parks too, they have a lot of pictures that could help her follow or pretend to follow along at the park.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

@Tinkerbell397 is right on the money! Get the keepsake maps from the website and familiarize yourself with them before you go. Then leave them at home and use paper maps while in the parks. (I like to print out free maps ahead of time from someplace like the easy wdw website and actually mark down my touring plan on the map, so I can familiarize myself with park layouts and tweak our plans to minimize backtracking where possible. My kids love it, because I can hand them the map and they can see where we're going next and even "lead" us there.)

Upvote 0

DVCPluto

Have a great trip!! Bringing a 5 yo to WDW is truly a magical experience!!

I agree with all here: grab maps at hotel/parks and get the personalized one as a keepsake. We wait until after our trips to order ours - add all our favorites to be listed on the map. You can only order one every 12 months. The MDE app map is really fun to explore, since you can pan around outside of the parks.

When in doubt, you can always ask a CM for directions.

Upvote 0

RScottyL

Each park and resort have maps readily available, so to me that would just be something else I would have to remember and bring with on the trip and to the parks. But if you really want them:

http://customizedmaps.disney.go.com/

Our touring style doesn't involve leaving the parks, so I can't speak to the leaving the park each day. Seems like a lot of wasted time not in the parks to me.

How large are the customized maps? Are they big enough to hang on your wall, or are they just a little larger than the ones you get in the park?

I just ordered some anyway, but just curious!

Upvote 0

Amyleigh

I really liked the app WDW maps. It's free. It uses GPS so you always know where you are and allows you to know if you are headed in the right direction. I found it opened much faster than MDE app.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom