Happy 82nd Birthday, Roy Clark! (with Disney park videos)

KentB3

Original Poster
I forgot to mention this. Go to 19:50 in the 2nd video (EPCOT Center: The Opening Celebration) to find Roy Clark's segment.

Goofyernmost

One thing I think I will always remember about Roy Clark was years ago, at the height of his career, he hosted or co-hosted the country music awards (or maybe the Grammys, one of those). Anyway, he was nominated for best Guitarists. He lost to someone else. The very next performer on stage was none other then Roy. He played the "Flight of the Bumblebee" on his guitar. Brought the house down, standing ovation, etc. It was his way of saying you guys chose the wrong person.

prberk

One thing I think I will always remember about Roy Clark was years ago, at the height of his career, he hosted or co-hosted the country music awards (or maybe the Grammys, one of those). Anyway, he was nominated for best Guitarists. He lost to someone else. The very next performer on stage was none other then Roy. He played the "Flight of the Bumblebee" on his guitar. Brought the house down, standing ovation, etc. It was his way of saying you guys chose the wrong person.

That is awesome. I will have to look for that on YouTube. Maybe someone has posted it.

Roy was -- and still is -- an amazing and versatile musician. He can play many instruments. There is a video somewhere on YouTube where he is playing multiple instruments on one song, in multiple panels. Check it out if you can find it.

I also liked his haunting recording of "Yesterday, When I was Young." An amazing song. A songwriter's song, right up there, I think, with anything Lennon or McCartney wrote. Not sure if he wrote it, but he nailed the feeling in the performance. But then, of course, you should follow that up with "Thank God and Greyhound," for a change of pace. ;-)

Many people only remember him from "HeeHaw," but even though he was funny and talented on that show, he should be better remembered for his talent and personality overall.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom