1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Halloween Horror Nights 2017 Official thread

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by mergatroid, May 19, 2017.

1. Mmkn0806

Mmkn0806 New Member

Oh OK thank you very much thinking of going down for four or five nights but not sure if we need to buy the park tickets for during the day and then separate park tickets for the Halloween at night

The_Jobu likes this.
  2. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member Original Poster

Yes you will, HHN is a separately ticketed event. You can upgrade a day ticket to Universal to include HHN and get a discounted price for the HHN part if you wish.

If you do this they usually kick out anyone without a HHN ticket or upgrade out of the park around 4:30pm. Those with HHN tickets are asked to gather in part of Universal where they check you have a valid HHN ticket. Shortly after 5pm those people are let loose and there's usually 2 houses open for those people to visit for nearly an hour before the guests just paying for HHN only are allowed in and the rest of the houses are then opened.

The_Jobu likes this.
  3. The_Jobu

The_Jobu Well-Known Member

I've still never gone to a HHN, but I always look forward to the bootleg videos, especially of the Bill and Ted show.

4. mergatroid

Rumoured houses for this year

Manics hasn't been on the subreddit to say this yet so I'll save him some work. Quite a few new things.

Number one: Both parks have lost The Conjuring. Lawsuits and such. I'll get into the replacements further down.

Number Two: Manics has said the Icon of the event for Orlando with be a Fortune Teller themed Cindy Caine.

The Lineups at this point:

Orlando: AHS 2.0, The Shining, Evil Dead, Saw Legacy, Insidious (Now apparently is in Orlando as well), Blumhouse Of Horrors (Replacing Conjuring), Dark Fortunes (Icon Maze), Catacombs v Gothic, Original Scarecrow Maze

Hollywood: AHS Roanoke, The Shining, Evil Dead, Saw Legacy, Insidious, Blumhouse Mashup, The Thing (Replacing The Conjuring)

If Manics wants to correct anything he can. If you have any problems or doubts, you can ask him. I'm just passing it along. Don't run to me if something's off.

Also, Orlando's already using "soon" as a response and Hollywood is saying Mid June for next announcement.

Link to site with the info

5. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

Doesn't look much like the list I saw a while back, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. Not very interested in most of the IP houses, and there's too many of them, as usual. Hopefully the originals deliver and the icon house isn't the worst of the event like last year.

mergatroid likes this.
  6. mergatroid

I'll be honest, it's the first list I found and I can't vouch as to how accurate it will be. It will be interesting to see if it's right and I'd love to see the one you saw if you get the time.

7. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

I just looked at it and I think only two of the houses are different. A third just seems to be described differently. Their plans always change to some degree, so this might be accurate.

mergatroid likes this.
  8. mergatroid

Might interest some this. The actor & actress that played Jack & Chance last year :cool:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    The_Jobu likes this.
  9. Mr Ferret 88

Mr Ferret 88 Resident "and onion" of the boards Premium Member

Just a quick question about the horror nights.
    Neither myself nor the better half like this sort of event. If we were to visit IOA next door will we see any of the scare actors here or in citywalk on party nights or is it all confined to the studios section ?

10. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

HHN is only in the Studios (unless it returns to IOA, which is unlikely), and it's a separately ticketed event, so you wouldn't be there when the actors come out anyway.

Mr Ferret 88 likes this.
  11. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Even if you only went to the studios during the day you would only notice "fall/halloween? decorations. Nothing scare related during the day. They reconfigure the park from 4:30 to 6:15 or so and then the real fun begins.

Mr Ferret 88 likes this.
  12. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

Are all the scare houses designed so the actors jump out and shock you ?

13. The_Jobu

I've only seen video walkthroughs but they all seem to have at least one point where an actor jump scares you. They can't touch you though and it's all in good fun.

14. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

Cheers - but last experience was a scare actor in house jumped out every 30 seconds or so maybe my fault for being blonde with beautiful daughter aka target . Through streets stilts walker buzz saw actor is ok we can cope but apologise for chickenism in houses

15. mergatroid

There's many actors in each house. Some are in plain sight as you enter the room and may for instance just stand there torturing another actor or stand behind a table looking menacing. Others do hide behind objects or hidden doorways etc and run out towards you. A lot's about timing as you tour the house as to which 'scares' you actually see. Sometimes you turn a corner to enter a room and see an actor step back into his or her hiding place, as you go through that room it's often unlikely you'll see that actor jump out as they do it every 20 seconds or so and you'll pass through before their next 'act'.

A very clever scare was played on us the other year. As we went to enter the house we were stopped by a cast member at the entrance as they legitimately can only have so many guests inside the house at any time for evacuation purposes in case of a fire etc (they count people in and out and let you enter accordingly). After a brief wait we and others behind us were let in. As I entered a young lady said to my wife and I "Hey guys I've lost my boyfriend as he went ahead too quickly, can I walk through with you?". We said "Of course" (well I did, my wife just gave me 'the look') and we started to tour the house. About 15 seconds later the girl said "There he is, thanks" and ran ahead down the corridor. As she did an actor jumped out and started 'stabbing' her whilst removing part of her shirt to reveal fake blood. Of course they were both actors but it was a very clever gimmick, even more so when you think only a handful of guests would see it.

Spectro and The_Jobu like this.
  16. The_Jobu

[​IMG]

Awwwww man, I really hope I can go one day.

Spectro and mergatroid like this.
  17. mergatroid

You really should if you get the chance. The whole evening feels completely different to how the park feels normally. There's also a sort of party atmosphere as groups of friends go and consume alcohol throughout the evening. Whilst this sometimes creates problems later on when people have had one too many, I've not seen any proper fights and there's security and police at every house.

Hope you get to go some time, it's really great

Spectro and The_Jobu like this.
  18. The_Jobu

I hope so too, especially with a group of friends as you point out.

I also really enjoy the Bill and Ted show bootlegs that wind up on Youtube afterwards.

mergatroid likes this.
  19. DisneyFan 2000

DisneyFan 2000 Well-Known Member

So, being the HHN newbie I am, how many houses can I expect to pack in a single night? We'll be there on the night of October 1st (a Sunday) Unfortunately we don't have time for more than that since it was important for us to also attend MNSSHP. Just wanted to adjust my expectations so to avoid any disappointment.

20. The_Jobu

I should really stop participating in this thread since I've never actually gone to HHN, but from what I've read, if you go on a weekend and dont have express pass you might only get to visit 2 houses. Two hour waits seem the norm.

But I'm sure someone who's been can provide more detail.