Trip Report Hakunamatata's Ultra .000001%er 2017 "Whats All This Pandoramonium About?" Trip Report

(This trip takes place May 25, 2017 through June 11, 2017).

This year the 'matata family is celebrating a few milestones (I really hope to get one of those special "milestone celebration" magical fastpasses). One of which is the daughter turned 18 this last fall. We were initially going to do a Disney cruise but a couple people in the family have iffy constitutions and likely would have been life flighted off the ship half way through due to severe motion sickness and claustrophobia. So we elected instead to do an extended land vacation at Universal (3 days) and Walt Disney World (11 days).

We will be driving to our destination via our Honda Pilot SUV. During our Universal portion of the trip we will be staying at the gorgeous TownPlace Suites - Flamingo Crossings. During the WDW portion of our trip we will be staying at Disneys Polynesian Village Resort and Fruity Adult Beverage Oasis. Way back in the day when vacationing as a young chap I remember the monorail trip from the TTC to the MK, passing over the Poly thinking to myself, "self, hopefully you will stay there one day before they take out the big lobby water fountain and create DVC rooms and pier top huts over the aligator infested waters of Seven Seas Lagoon". Well, didnt make it before some of those things happened, but I am going to get to stay there none the less.

I hope to be able to "live" report during our trip. We were not expecting to be there during the grand reveal of The World of Pandora, but I am looking forward to the sparkly bling of a jewelry themed land. For the benefit of all that follow, know that I will have received countless eye roles and stink-eye looks bringing you this live report as well as a number of "your taking a picture of that?" and "another churro?" questioning.

So in the words of Walt Disney....."For all those who come to this happy place, we accept cash and credit cards only, no checks please".

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Maybe I shouldn't be stunned in this day and age, but I was, when I read (above) about the families with "small children" putting their entire group into the single riders line.

I've used the single riders line as a solo adult (at WDW), and I can tell you that sometimes you can wait a few minutes or more for a single slot to open up on an attraction. I cringe at the thought of some little kid riding solo and then "waiting" after the ride is over--for one of the parents to reunite with him/her. Little kids can easily get distracted & just wander off--and hopefully, not with a stranger . . . :facepalm:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day three is in the books. Day four is an exciting day and we are really looking forward to our stay at the poly.

Day 3 - Relax day.

Since this was a day built in to sleep late, I was up at 6:30am. :banghead: Breakfast at the hotel was a freaking madhouse. You would think some people were never going to eat again. One guy literally got a luggage cart to carry food back up to his room.

Lunch today at Art Smiths. We had the Deviled Eggs as an app, I had the Greek salad and the better half had the fried chicken.View attachment 207413
View attachment 207414
View attachment 207415
Before lunch we hit some off property gift shops. View attachment 207416
Found a cool Kingdom Hearts tshirt for the boy and some other crap er valuable items.
View attachment 207417

We caught the 5pm showing of PotC-DMTNT at the Springs AMC. View attachment 207418

Also had time for one of my favorite beverages, Orange Blossom Pilsnar, at the Dockside Margarita Bar.
View attachment 207419
View attachment 207420

Tomorrow we move to the Poly for our Disney Parks portion of the trip. I have already checked in online. We have late breakfast ressies at Ohanas for 11:40. Was wondering if you still get leid if you check in online. Guess we will find out tomorrow.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
img_2070-jpg.207414
@hakunamatata subsisting on rabbit food. I believe that is the 4th sign of the end of the world.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
@hakunamatata you're a better man than I. I cannot imagine going to WDW and not gaining at least five pounds during the trip. There are so many snacks and foods I want to try!

I believe in you though!!
This will be the difficult phase because we start the dining plan and we are staying where I can litterally get a dole whip on my way to and from whatever park we go to where there will be churros and Turkey Legs. I will do my best though. Lol.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This will be the difficult phase because we start the dining plan and we are staying where I can litterally get a dole whip on my way to and from whatever park we go to where there will be churros and Turkey Legs. I will do my beat though. Lol.

I find the most luck with setting a time where I can get the treat, and making sure that time is one that I cannot double up on. I have a candy dish at my work that I have to walk past at least thirty times a day. When they put out my favorite candies, I tell myself all day that I can have one on my way out of the building in the afternoon. That way I still get the treat, but can't go back for seconds.Instead of being tempted ALL day long, I just remind myself that I do get the treat, but later.

At Disney though, for me at least, game on. I want to try all the things.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day four is did.

Day 4 - Checked in to the Poly and wandered around until our Ohanas breakfast ressie. View attachment 207523
View attachment 207524
Got character autographs on some of our daughters sketches (she is an aspiring animator). View attachment 207525
View attachment 207526
Love Disney cast members that go that extra mile. Table next to us young child was terrified of the tiki next to the table so the draped them with table cloths.
View attachment 207527 I was so full when we were done.

Decided to stop by the front desk to get our Leis. The cast member said she could go ahead and get us into our room! First floor facing the MK/Lagoon/ GF. View attachment 207528
Very close to the GCH and Trader Sams! Love the theming of the room and its quite spacious.View attachment 207529

After we got settled in and had a nap, we walked over to the Grand Floridian then monorailed over to the Contemporary. Had dinner at Contempo Cafe. Their version of a Chicago Italian Beef sammich is a far cry from Portillos with peppers but it hit the spot. Got back to the poly and decided to head down for a libation next to the pool and tried something new. Very tasty and refreshing.
View attachment 207522
Tomorrow is the MK, Kona breakfast and Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5 is in the books. Day 6 is Epcot. Cancelled our ADR at Rose and Crown cause Mama still aint feeling 100%. Disney Dining graciously cancelled and did not charge the $10 fee. Wished us well and hoped mama got to feeling better. Rebooked for Garden Grille at Epcot later in the trip.
Day 5 - We started this most magical of days with breakfast at Kona. Tasty as always.View attachment 207726View attachment 207727

We then headed to the MK and caught JC before our PotC FP. Then off to Philharmagic, VotLM and then FP Pan. Lunch at Pinnochio Haus. During our adventure we paused to pay our respects to a fallen favorite. View attachment 207754

Then back to Main Street for Castle pics.

We then wandered around waiting for our 3:10 FP for 7D. Got some more character autographs and rode TTA which actually was queued up on ground level.View attachment 207753

Never seen that before. Walked back over to Liberty Square, talked to the CM standing in front of HoP who said early Fall for a reopen.

We then hung out by Sleepy Hollow Waffles in the covered eating area to watch the parade from a distance in the shade and allow the daughter to recover from a massive nose bleed. After about 20 minutes a CM kindly walked over with a Strawberry Waffle and asked us if we wanted one compliments of Disney. Thought that was a nice gesture and it was delish. This was very surprising given the constant barage of "Disney is a money grubbing evil corporate sloth intent on removing all possible cash from its guests" mantra.

Went back for our 7D FP and it was down. Advised our FP would be converted to multiple attraction which it was. Went to HM and it was down. Made our fourth FP for Buzz and grabbed a cool refreshment while waiting. Continued my streak of scoring max points and again was accused of cheating by my kids.View attachment 207729 Didnt realize I had raised such jealous haters, but what can you do? Ducked into the Emporium to avoid the torrential downpour then mad our way over in front of Town Hall to wait out the rain until a group of teenagers congragated and were reliving their perilous adventure of "literally almost drowning" on Splash Mountain because it started raining while they were on it :rolleyes:. Made our way back to adventure land to wait standby in PotC. After riding it we headed back around to see if HM or 7D were open again and they were. However the FP line for 7D extended all the way back down towards the entrence to Story Time with Belle. We decided we did not need to ride it that bad since we have two or three more FPs for it during the remainder of our stay. We burned our Multi Attraction FP on HM and then went to dinner.

Liberty Tree Tavern was our dining location now for the three of us since Mrs 'Matata called and said that she had been puking and stuff since she returned to the room earlier. She didnt miss much as our LTT experience was average at beast. Twenty minutes late in seating us, dry rolls and greasy roast beef and pork. The desert and mac and cheese was the best part of the meal.View attachment 207752

After dinner we cancelled out extra FP and made our way back to the room where collapsed from general poopedness.

Tomorrow is Epcot and the much in demand "Frozen FP".

Last edited:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 6 is done.
Day 6 EPCOT
Walked to the TTC to catch the monorail to EPCOT. Security at the TTC was quick for the volume of people but was surprised that we had to go through security again when arriving at EPCOT. Guess there is some concern that a monorail could be boarded while in transit and dangerous items provided to ner-do-wellers. Since we had plenty of time before our 3:40 Frozen FP we did SSE standby (40 minutes). After pur jaunt through time we wete famished so we dined at Electric Umbrella where I had the Energy Salad with Chicken (i think thats what it was called) View attachment 207866 and kids had chicken nuggets and cheeseburger.

We made our way to Mexico where the Three Cab's ride was down for technical difficulties. Made our way around to Germany where I wasnt feeling as energetic as I though I would considering I had an energy salad for lunch so I had me a little pick me up at the recomendation of @Bob. He was correct that the he draft version is better than the can version. View attachment 207785

After finishing off this energy drink we were ready for our Frozen FP. View attachment 207864 Neat little attraction that is not worth over about a thirty minute wait.

We then made our way around to Japan as both kids were excited to see all the anime crap...er....stuff at the main store, which unfortunately downsized there anime inventory since we last visited. So now that spirits had been crushed the teenage daughters feet amazingle began to hurt bad so we grabbed a Figment FP for on the way out of the park.

Took the teenager back to the room, checked on mama who seems to have started to feel a little better (hoping for full participation tomorrow since the tickets to Pandora were insanely hard to come by and spensive). The boy and I grabbed a FP for the speedeay at MK and headed there for the evening. I needed a snack and wasnt sure I could wait to find a churro cart so I had a Rick Flare commemorative Coke Zero and a plain Mickey Rice Crispy Treat.
View attachment 207822
I think its special that Disney recognized the contribution Ric has had to the entertainment industry.

On a side note, I have intentionally tried to keep from paying for these types of snacks with snack credits in order to use the credits for more expensive items but it seams that 50% of the cast members dont understand the words "charge to my room not my meal plan". This will be a bit of the negative feedback I have for Mr Iger when we meet for our after action/vacation event.

Succesfully endured the boy driving during our drive through tomorrowland. We then swang by Cosmic Rays for dinner and the velvet voice of Sonny Eclipse. View attachment 207858 Man that Alien can sing. I also for the first time witnessed someone blatently abusing the toppings bar. Family of eight bought a cheeseburger and three orders of nuggets only and eight cups of water. A stack of tomato slices, pile of pickles and mushrooms, and a bunch of lettuce later they were iff to dine. I get it, its expensive and what not but I dont know if it was intentional or if they just didnt know any better. Either way, this is why these types of things get the axe. I had the grilled Chicken Greek salad. It was the best grilled quick service chucken yet. View attachment 207865 Grabbed a FP for Big Thunder and rode View attachment 207861 View attachment 207862 View attachment 207863 And JC, and had a View attachment 207857 while waiting for our FP time.

Rode Big Thunder in the rain/drizzle and grabbed another FO for PotC gor our final ride before exiting the park.

Tomorrow is our first day to Disneys Animal And Alian Animal Kingdom. I just realized I left my catnip at home so I wony be luring any scantily clad big blue partially dressed cat people.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Day 6 EPCOT
Walked to the TTC to catch the monorail to EPCOT. Security at the TTC was quick for the volume of people but was surprised that we had to go through security again when arriving at EPCOT. Guess there is some concern that a monorail could be boarded while in transit and dangerous items provided to ner-do-wellers. Since we had plenty of time before our 3:40 Frozen FP we did SSE standby (40 minutes). After pur jaunt through time we wete famished so we dined at Electric Umbrella where I had the Energy Salad with Chicken (i think thats what it was called) View attachment 207866 and kids had chicken nuggets and cheeseburger.

We made our way to Mexico where the Three Cab's ride was down for technical difficulties. Made our way around to Germany where I wasnt feeling as energetic as I though I would considering I had an energy salad for lunch so I had me a little pick me up at the recomendation of @Bob. He was correct that the he draft version is better than the can version. View attachment 207785

After finishing off this energy drink we were ready for our Frozen FP. View attachment 207864 Neat little attraction that is not worth over about a thirty minute wait.

We then made our way around to Japan as both kids were excited to see all the anime crap...er....stuff at the main store, which unfortunately downsized there anime inventory since we last visited. So now that spirits had been crushed the teenage daughters feet amazingle began to hurt bad so we grabbed a Figment FP for on the way out of the park.

Took the teenager back to the room, checked on mama who seems to have started to feel a little better (hoping for full participation tomorrow since the tickets to Pandora were insanely hard to come by and spensive). The boy and I grabbed a FP for the speedeay at MK and headed there for the evening. I needed a snack and wasnt sure I could wait to find a churro cart so I had a Rick Flare commemorative Coke Zero and a plain Mickey Rice Crispy Treat.
View attachment 207822
I think its special that Disney recognized the contribution Ric has had to the entertainment industry.

On a side note, I have intentionally tried to keep from paying for these types of snacks with snack credits in order to use the credits for more expensive items but it seams that 50% of the cast members dont understand the words "charge to my room not my meal plan". This will be a bit of the negative feedback I have for Mr Iger when we meet for our after action/vacation event.

Succesfully endured the boy driving during our drive through tomorrowland. We then swang by Cosmic Rays for dinner and the velvet voice of Sonny Eclipse. View attachment 207858 Man that Alien can sing. I also for the first time witnessed someone blatently abusing the toppings bar. Family of eight bought a cheeseburger and three orders of nuggets only and eight cups of water. A stack of tomato slices, pile of pickles and mushrooms, and a bunch of lettuce later they were iff to dine. I get it, its expensive and what not but I dont know if it was intentional or if they just didnt know any better. Either way, this is why these types of things get the axe. I had the grilled Chicken Greek salad. It was the best grilled quick service chucken yet. View attachment 207865 Grabbed a FP for Big Thunder and rode View attachment 207861 View attachment 207862 View attachment 207863 And JC, and had a View attachment 207857 while waiting for our FP time.

Rode Big Thunder in the rain/drizzle and grabbed another FO for PotC gor our final ride before exiting the park.

Tomorrow is our first day to Disneys Animal And Alian Animal Kingdom. I just realized I left my catnip at home so I wony be luring any scantily clad big blue partially dressed cat people.
Schofferhofer and Dole Whip all in the same day. It doesn't get much better than that!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 7 - liquid sunshine at DAK day is done. Tomorrow is DHS.
Day 7 - Animal Kingdom

Pandora is a spectacular visual experience. You cant really look anywhere when you are in the land and see anything outside the land. The detail, down to the moss on the rockwork is amazing. The way the valley is arranged, you get the feeling that you are in an area where the rocks are lower to the ground in general and not part of the area from the movie where the rocks go really high into the air. You do see forced perspective being used and this is one of the best jobs if not the best job Ive seen Disney do with forced perspective. One of the issues I will be interested in seeing how Disney addresses this is represented in one of the pics below. Can you spot it?
View attachment 208057

Got a few photo pass photos and then in line for the gift shop. A few tshirts and a couple of Banshees later we tried Satuli Canteen. Had the cheesburger pods and blue desert thingy. All was quite tasty and a nice change from normal quick service. Quite surprising that the entire meal sans the cup were non disposable.View attachment 208050

After our meal we hung out and watched the drum show where the local humans who have evidently embracedthe Na'vi culture and lifestyle encouraged us to connect and continued talking about connecting. I was getting a bit concerned that a Borg invasion was under way but nevertheless they gave instruments to audience members to facilitate the connecting. After the alien hippie jam session was done we made our way to the fastpass line for the Na'vi River Journey. Just an amazingly themed area. I would imagine a significant amount of design time went in to how to basically create a web of electrical plants safely and that will stand up to the elements. So the bad part about the ride is its too damned short and basically has no purpose other than to float by the tribe choir director. The ride itself, stunning and amazingly done. The integration of video on little screens is what I think sets this apart from the heavily screened Uni attractions. Kudos to Imagineering for pulling this off. I will post some various pics at the end of todays update.

After finishing our time in Pandora, We headed to Africa (still the hottest place in all of WDW in my opinion) and decided to do standyby for Kilimanjaro Safari, 40 minute wait, which wasnt bad. Mind you I have always heard that you see more animals in the morning because they are more active, we saw more animals and closer to the truck than I recall seeing. Could have literally reached out and petted a giraffe if I had been so inclined. Our safari guide was earning his ears as he had someone riding shotgun with him and he had to correct his animal names a couple of times. He did however encourage us to recycle our homes to help the environment. Im affraid I dont love the planet that much...sorry. Having done the Safari, we changed Safari FP to Nemo FP, escorted the teenager to the front of the park and sent her on her way back to the resort as she had become too tired to continue :rolleyes:. :rolleyes: . :rolleyes:.

Headed to TITW for our Nemo show and it began to rain. Broke out panchos (weather gear, not the all you care to eat mexican food buffet where you raise the little flag when you want more) and the umbrella and we waited, in the rain, and waited. After our feet were sufficiently soaked, they let us in, we watched Nemo, I kept thinking that its time for something new in this spot, became severly iritated with lady sitting next to me chewing gum and making that little bubble popping noise about every third chew. The actors took their post musical bow, we re-donned our rain gear and headed for the exit. I cancelled our evening FP for River of Light figuring we could catch it ona hopefully more dry day, or youtube, whichever comes first. We headed back to the resort, pulled out the commercial grade hair dryer and started drying shoes, had dinner at Capt Cooks, reviewed our future days plans, switched our Garden Grille ADR to a 9pm Crystal Palace ADR on Mrs 'Matatas birthday and proceeded to do laundry.

Tomorrow is basically a half day at the studios. Will have to see where fate has us end up, maybe back at DAK EMH to see Pandora lit up like a country whor.......um, like something really lit up.

Random Pandora Pics

View attachment 208041 View attachment 208044 View attachment 208045 View attachment 208049View attachment 208056

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Those were some interesting photos you took of Pandora. (I still haven't seen the movie. ;) )

Glad your vacation is going well. Enjoying your updates. (P.S.: I also hate adults who make that popping sound with chewing gum. I'd expect that from maybe a 5-year-old, but seriously--an adult woman was doing that DURING the show??!! :rolleyes: )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom