Gyms

ppete1975

Original Poster
the first time I stayed on property I was shocked that none of the hotels (outside of I think three of the bigger ones) have a gym. Almost every hotel I stay at has at least a small one and I was really shocked. I always stay at riverside and love it. I was just expecting weights with the silhouette of mickeys face on the ends by the weight number lol. And a fun little disneyfied workout room. Am I the only one surprised by this? Is this just a cost thing, or they feel it wouldn't get used.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
the first time I stayed on property I was shocked that none of the hotels (outside of I think three of the bigger ones) have a gym. Almost every hotel I stay at has at least a small one and I was really shocked. I always stay at riverside and love it. I was just expecting weights with the silhouette of mickeys face on the ends by the weight number lol. And a fun little disneyfied workout room. Am I the only one surprised by this? Is this just a cost thing, or they feel it wouldn't get used.
Yes the Disney hotels are very much geared towards the parks. Some amenities that are standard at similar price points outside of WDW are not available at WDW.

ppete1975

Original Poster
  • Boardwalk – Muscles & Bustles Health Club

PrincessMia

I stayed in Coronado when I was specifically looking for one- I guess that's why I was thinking all moderates have them! After that, I decided walking 12 miles a day in the parks is enough of a work out each day :) I was wayyyy too beat by the end of the day to work out, and we're very a much an "up and out" family in the mornings.

ppete1975

Original Poster
I might be wrong, but I think the moderates and deluxes all have gyms.

so it appears... mainly because you piqued my curiosity. Its deluxe and Coronado

I was totally expecting this when I stayed at riverside
mickey_fitness_center.jpg

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
All Deluxes and one moderate Coronado Springs all have gyms(fitness centers) with most commonly used cardio and weight equipment. ;)

ppete1975

Original Poster
Given how active a WDW vacation is, I think there isn't as much of a need. They want you to save it for the parks and spending $$$ too.

My legs get a good workout from the walking, but as someone who lifts weights everyday, I do miss being able to work my upper body. For me it was just a surprise as everything else is so overdone and wonderfully themed, great rooms. great grounds, great pools, great restaurants that I was surprised when I arrived that most of the hotels didn't have them when every place ive stayed the last 10 years has, including motel 6.
And to be honest I just wanted to see disneys touch on a gym, mickey and friends on the walls. Hidden mickeys on the weights. Videos of goofy falling on a treadmill. I think my inner Disney kid was excited to share happiness with my Bro-self.
So now I just take my inner 6 year old and leave my Bro-self at home :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
  • Boardwalk – Muscles & Bustles Health Club

Swan & Dolphin Health Club

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The best in terms of equipment and size is Saratoga Springs. Several have a smith machine. The worst is OKW - too small, not a lot of equipment.

Likely also a liability issue. I'm sure the last thing Disney needs is more lawsuits.

No more than any other gym....

I admit, I visit the fitness center every morning of my trip since I both run and workout at my gym back home. Not at the same level, but like @ppete1975 stated, if I don't run at least twice a week or workout at least once, I miss it. The only time I don't go is during runDisney race weekends. I'll even be hitting the treadmill several times during our cruise in a week, since I'm running in the SW Darkside Half a few days after we get back - nothing beats running on a TM on a swaying ship....

I've visited most of the fitness centers listed.

BackOTheLine

The best in terms of equipment and size is Saratoga Springs. Several have a smith machine. The worst is OKW - too small, not a lot of equipment.

No more than any other gym....

I admit, I visit the fitness center every morning of my trip since I both run and workout at my gym back home. Not at the same level, but like @ppete1975 stated, if I don't run at least twice a week or workout at least once, I miss it. The only time I don't go is during runDisney race weekends. I'll even be hitting the treadmill several times during our cruise in a week, since I'm running in the SW Darkside Half a few days after we get back - nothing beats running on a TM on a swaying ship....

I've visited most of the fitness centers listed.

I'm they same way about having to get a couple of runs in even after all the Disney walking. It's partially about needing to run and partially about needing to eat ice cream ;). Maybe it's the times I'm in there but I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 others in the fitness center. Do you notice the same thing?

Does the ship have a deck that you can run loops on? I've never been but I think it would be awesome to be circling the ship while it's in motion. I have a hard enough time running in a straight line on a treadmill normally - one that's swaying at sea sounds like trouble.

...and good luck on the SW half.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm they same way about having to get a couple of runs in even after all the Disney walking. It's partially about needing to run and partially about needing to eat ice cream ;). Maybe it's the times I'm in there but I don't think I've ever seen more than 2 or 3 others in the fitness center. Do you notice the same thing?

Does the ship have a deck that you can run loops on? I've never been but I think it would be awesome to be circling the ship while it's in motion. I have a hard enough time running in a straight line on a treadmill normally - one that's swaying at sea sounds like trouble.

...and good luck on the SW half.

I think it depends on the time of day - I've gone and all the TMs are occupied, several bikes have riders and several guests are lifting weights or doing some pilates on the floor. The busiest gyms seem to be at Wliderness and Saratoga Springs.

Yeah, I have a problem running a straight line on a TM...but then you don't run a straight line outdoors, either. I set the incline at 1%, so between that and not being able to run in a straight line, I'm approximating running outdoors.

The ships have a running track on one of the decks. Not sure what the length is, but I've got a distance run scheduled as part of my training next Saturday, so I'll probably do that on the TM, since it's the last one I can get in between the end of the cruise and leaving for WDW a fee days later.

Thanks! I'm excited about the race. Not my first runDisney Half (did all three races during Princess in February for a total of 22.4 miles), but it's my first SW half. Ran the inaugural 10k last year. But this year, I get to take home these medals:

Screenshot_20170310-200653.jpg

Actually, not all of them. The green one to the left is the medal for the kids races. The one on the right is the medal you receive when you complete the Kessel Challenge - running the SW Light Side Half at DLR and the SW Dark Side Half at WDW the same calendar year. That will be next year for me. The one in the middle is the medal I will receive for running both the 10k and Half in 3 weeks. And I will be proudly wearing that Death Star as I stumble through the parks later that Sunday! We're all about the medals, lol.

BackOTheLine

I think it depends on the time of day - I've gone and all the TMs are occupied, several bikes have riders and several guests are lifting weights or doing some pilates on the floor. The busiest gyms seem to be at Wliderness and Saratoga Springs.

Yeah, I have a problem running a straight line on a TM...but then you don't run a straight line outdoors, either. I set the incline at 1%, so between that and not being able to run in a straight line, I'm approximating running outdoors.

The ships have a running track on one of the decks. Not sure what the length is, but I've got a distance run scheduled as part of my training next Saturday, so I'll probably do that on the TM, since it's the last one I can get in between the end of the cruise and leaving for WDW a fee days later.

Thanks! I'm excited about the race. Not my first runDisney Half (did all three races during Princess in February for a total of 22.4 miles), but it's my first SW half. Ran the inaugural 10k last year. But this year, I get to take home these medals:

View attachment 197423

Actually, not all of them. The green one to the left is the medal for the kids races. The one on the right is the medal you receive when you complete the Kessel Challenge - running the SW Light Side Half at DLR and the SW Dark Side Half at WDW the same calendar year. That will be next year for me. The one in the middle is the medal I will receive for running both the 10k and Half in 3 weeks. And I will be proudly wearing that Death Star as I stumble through the parks later that Sunday! We're all about the medals, lol.

I've only been in the one at AKL and GF (we were staying at Poly) and at times I was the only one in there. Of course I would usually go if we came back to the room for a mid-day break so that may be why...

I did the challenge last year but I'm super jealous of this years medals! Doing the 2 course challenge for W&D this year. I know lots of people are poo-pooing the W&D after the changes but it's the only time we can get back down this year and I've never run it before and after Star Wars last year I've been jonesing for another Disney race.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've only been in the one at AKL and GF (we were staying at Poly) and at times I was the only one in there. Of course I would usually go if we came back to the room for a mid-day break so that may be why...

I did the challenge last year but I'm super jealous of this years medals! Doing the 2 course challenge for W&D this year. I know lots of people are poo-pooing the W&D after the changes but it's the only time we can get back down this year and I've never run it before and after Star Wars last year I've been jonesing for another Disney race.

I'm doing the W&D Challenge this year also. Was excited about doing the night run in 2016 and then they changed the schedule to be like all the other runDisney races.... At least I didn't run in the W&D Run & Splash in 2015.

Not happy runDisney changed the race routes from last year's SW Dark Side races. And it most likely will be warmer than last year (this year's Princess weekend was probably 5-10 degrees warmer than the previous years), so that run past the waste treatment plant will be a joy.... Thanks, global warming!

EOD K9

@LAKid53 Four times around deck four is a mile on the Dream. I usually do the Castaway Cay 5k when we are on the island. I'm good for a 5k any day of the week, but as you can see, I'm more of a cyclist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom