Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans!

AsanaDisney

This thread helped so much with my first ever trip to Disneyland this past spring. As a lifelong WDW vet I surprised myself by planning my second trip to Disneyland instead of heading back to Florida. I can't wait for my second trip to Disneyland in February and always read this thread for advice. Thanks to everyone who posts!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
This thread helped so much with my first ever trip to Disneyland this past spring. As a lifelong WDW vet I surprised myself by planning my second trip to Disneyland instead of heading back to Florida. I can't wait for my second trip to Disneyland in February and always read this thread for advice. Thanks to everyone who posts!

Another happy convert! Glad to be of service!

AsanaDisney

Hello! I tried searching the Disneyland site and this one for info on this but I will just ask here. When does Haunted Mansion typically re-open after the holiday overlay is removed? It says the last day of it is Jan. 8, 2017. Thanks!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Hello! I tried searching the Disneyland site and this one for info on this but I will just ask here. When does Haunted Mansion typically re-open after the holiday overlay is removed? It says the last day of it is Jan. 8, 2017. Thanks!

CORRECTION: It should reopen January 20. Small World will go down for holiday removal on January 23.

Last edited:

Dizney Crew

Great thread, lots of good info on 1st page (still trying to go read each page, so many posts!!!) Making our 1st DLR trip in March, can't wait!! Question: (Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread) but at both DL and CA are there only certain rides that you can get a FP for? I know here at WDW almost everything is FP but from what I can tell that does mot seem to be the case out West. And if only certain rides have FP are you limited to how many you can get a once? I know ya'll use the old FP ticketing system, its been so long since we've had them, wondering if the same rules apply.

We're staying 3 days in Anaheim and were just gonna do 1 day at each park, from what we can tell mid week crowds shouldn't be too bad and for the most part seems like we should be able to take in most of everything in 2 days. We were planning on park hopping on day 3, but I think we're gonna visit Knotts Berry Farm instead (I know not Disney, but looks like a decent park, thoughts/suggestions?)

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Great thread, lots of good info on 1st page (still trying to go read each page, so many posts!!!) Making our 1st DLR trip in March, can't wait!! Question: (Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread) but at both DL and CA are there only certain rides that you can get a FP for? I know here at WDW almost everything is FP but from what I can tell that does mot seem to be the case out West. And if only certain rides have FP are you limited to how many you can get a once? I know ya'll use the old FP ticketing system, its been so long since we've had them, wondering if the same rules apply.

We're staying 3 days in Anaheim and were just gonna do 1 day at each park, from what we can tell mid week crowds shouldn't be too bad and for the most part seems like we should be able to take in most of everything in 2 days. We were planning on park hopping on day 3, but I think we're gonna visit Knotts Berry Farm instead (I know not Disney, but looks like a decent park, thoughts/suggestions?)

You can hold 1 FP at a time. FP is not available on all attractions like at WDW, and when you get one, it will say on the ticket when you can get another one.

Two days isn't too bad as long as you go open to close and stick to unique/different stuff and don't waste time on direct WDW clones. Expect the parks to feel crowded - even on weekdays Hyperspace Mountain will be at 60 minutes or above (a must do for FP).

Knott's is a regional amusement park with good history. The Ghost Town section is interesting but not Disney-level. They have two unique rides - Calico Mine Train (a dark ride) and the log ride. Both have lots of creepy AAs. The rest of the park is off-the-shelf flat rides and coasters. It has its charms, but don't go in expecting something comparable to Disney. Do eat at the Chicken Dinner restaurant at the gate if you go.

Figments Friend

Disneyland Resort will still be using it's 'legacy' paper ticket FastPass system in March when you plan to visit.
Only certain Attractions, typically the major ones, offer FP and to get one you cannot 'reserve ahead' as you may be used to now at WDW.

To obtain a FP, you must visit one of the FP distribution machines of said Attraction.
These are typically located near the entrance to the ride you wish to experience in their own little area.
I'm sure you remember doing this in the past at WDW pre-2013.
Insert your barcoded Park ticket and collect your paper Pass.
You can then go off and do something else until it is time to return and ride.

Typically, you cannot get another FP for that Attraction, or any other within that specific Park until you reach the return time indicated on the paper Pass ...or two hours later, whichever comes first.
You CAN however hop over to California Adventure and get another FP to something in that specific Park.

At Disneyland Park, FP is availible for these Attractions -

Space Mountain
Indiana Jones Adventure
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Star Tours
Roger Rabbits' Car Toon Spin
Buzz Lightyears' Astro Blasters

Two other Attractions have FP, but rarely are they offered except on very busy days ( Autopia ) or for seasonal demand ( The Haunted Mansion during it's Halloween / Xmas overlay )

Over at California Adventure, same applies.....a select number of Attractions offer FP as well as the Park night time spectacle 'World of Color' and the 'Frozen' themed stage show.
You can get a FP to WOC' near the entrance to Grizzly River Rapids, and one for the 'Frozen' stage show near it's main entrance.
If you plan on seeing either Show, it is good to get a FP as it may increase your chances of getting a better spot to view the presentation.

What is also nice is that your Show FPs will not interfere with getting any other FPs that day...at either Park.
So it is possible to have three active FPs in your pocket between the two Parks on any given day!
It would be four if Disneyland Park was running it's nighttime show 'Fantasmic!' but alas it will not be running in March.

Attractions that have FP at California Adventure are -

California Screamin'
Radiator Springs Racers
Soarin' Around The World
Grizzly River Run
Goofy's Sky School

Hope this helps you out!

:)

Last edited:

Dizney Crew

Disneyland Resort will still be using it's 'legacy' paper ticket FastPass system in March when you plan to visit.
Only certain Attractions, typically the major ones, offer FP and to get one you cannot 'reserve ahead' as you may be used to now at WDW.

To obtain a FP, you must visit the one of the FP distribution machines of said Attraction.
These are typically located near the entrance to the rise you wish to experience in their own little area.
I'm sure you remember doing this in the past at WDW pre-2013.
Insert your barcoded Park ticket and collect your paper Pass.
You can then go off and do something else until it is time to return and ride.

Typically, you cannot get another FP for that Attraction, or any other within that specific Park until you reach the return time indicated on the paper Pass ...or two hours later, whichever comes first.
You CAN however hop over to California Adventure and get another FP to something in that specific Park.

At Disneyland Park, FP is availible for these Attractions -

Space Mountain
Indiana Jones Adventure
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Star Tours
Roger Rabbits' Car Toon Spin
Buzz Lightyears' Astro Blasters

Two other Attractions have FP, but rarely are they offered except on very busy days ( Autopia ) or for seasonal demand ( The Haunted Mansion during it's Halloween / Xmas overlay )

Over at California Adventure, same applies.....a select number of Attractions offer FP as well as the Park night time spectacle 'World of Color' and the 'Frozen' themed stage show.
You can get a FP to WOC' near the entrance to Grizzly River Rapids, and one for the 'Frozen' stage show near it's main entrance.
If you plan on seeing either Show, it is good to get a FP as it may increase your chances of getting a better spot to view the presentation.

What is also nice is that your Show FPs will not interfere with getting any other FPs that day...at either Park.
So it is possible to have three active FPs in your pocket between the two Parks on any given day!
It would be four if Disneyland Park was running it's nighttime show 'Fantasmic!' but alas it will not be running in March.

Attractions that have FP at California Adventure are -

California Screamin'
Radiator Springs Racers
Soarin' Around The World
Grizzly River Run
Goofy's Sky School

Hope this helps you out!

:)
Excellent info, thank you!!

truecoat

Excellent info, thank you!!

I'm not sure but there used to be one or two FP machines not hooked up to the network. This allowed you to get another fastpass as it couldn't tell if you had one or not. Roger Rabbit if I remember correctly but I'd do some research on this.

Dizney Crew

A friend of ours is currently out at DLR this week and his visit is going terrible due to multiple attractions being shut down/broke. Yesterday at CA, RSR was closed all day so he didn't get to ride it. And today at DL he said that Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn were all closed as well due to malfunctions. Does this happen to the attractions a lot our there? Or is he just having some bad luck. At WDW I rarely see an attraction closed due to mechanical malfunctions, every so often Space Mountain might shut down or the people mover and that's about it, and it only last a few hours tops. I know that these types of things do happen, but just curious of the frequency of all these rides acting up at the same time, and if it does, are they typically closed all day?

Californian Elitist

A friend of ours is currently out at DLR this week and his visit is going terrible due to multiple attractions being shut down/broke. Yesterday at CA, RSR was closed all day so he didn't get to ride it. And today at DL he said that Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Matterhorn were all closed as well due to malfunctions. Does this happen to the attractions a lot our there? Or is he just having some bad luck. At WDW I rarely see an attraction closed due to mechanical malfunctions, every so often Space Mountain might shut down or the people mover and that's about it, and it only last a few hours tops. I know that these types of things do happen, but just curious of the frequency of all these rides acting up at the same time, and if it does, are they typically closed all day?

It is rare when a ride is down all day due to a malfunction. I've personally only seen it maybe once or twice, and I never saw it as a CM.

Sounds like your friend is having bad luck.

Dizney Crew

It is rare when a ride is down all day due to a malfunction. I've personally only seen it maybe once or twice, and I never saw it as a CM.

Sounds like your friend is having bad luck.

Thats good to hear, he had us worried that this might be a regular thing. Sux for him as this is his 1st trip, and the way things are going for him it might be his last.

Californian Elitist

Thats good to hear, he had us worried that this might be a regular thing. Sux for him as this is his 1st trip, and the way things are going for him it might be his last.

Yeah, you have nothing to worry about. Though I will say Alice in Wonderland tends to break down a lot due to its ride system, which is very old and doesn't even exist anymore. Just a warning.

Minnie1976

Is there a time to go to DLR when it is not crowded? I went last February 2016 which was our Mardi Gras in New Orleans and DLR was packed.
Have they improved on the security line, it was VERY SLOW?
Thank you!!!

GiveMeTheMusic

Original Poster
Is there a time to go to DLR when it is not crowded? I went last February 2016 which was our Mardi Gras in New Orleans and DLR was packed.
Have they improved on the security line, it was VERY SLOW?
Thank you!!!

It is crowded pretty much all of the time. Coming on weekdays during school months can help a little, but often it doesn't. It's become difficult to predict when it will be uncrowded because it's basically always crowded.

Security has been improved somewhat, but it's still not great.

Minnie1976

Thank you! We use to know when to go to WDW and what parks weren't crowded at what times. Not anymore, I feel like a 1st timer sometimes because things have changed so much.

I guess it is the same with DLR and people who knew it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom