Guest staying with us - I have questions

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
We've done this before, and I'll be calling disney later this morning, but if I can get some quick answers prior to calling, that will be helpful.
We have a family member visiting us during our trip to WDW and she'll be staying at the resort with us. In the past, we paid a minor fee (something like 25 a night).
Has anything changed and will it be a problem?
Is there any limitation on how long she can stay? I think she's hoping to visit us for a number of days, I don't want to do anything that would cause problems for my stay disney. She lives in FLA, and I made the reservation presumably before the parking fees were added, will she have to pay for them as an added guest?

Roakor

As long as you don't go over the maximum capacity for the room then there shouldn't be any problems. We have done this before, had someone decide to stop by last minute and stay with us. We never told anyone so they never had a room key but that wasn't a big issue. This was before the parking cash grab...err fees. I don't know what the parking police will have to say about it these days. So if they have a car then I wold say definitely call Disney before hand. If they don't have one, and as mentioned you don't go over the room capacity I don't foresee any issues.

iluvMainStMagic

Just a guess here, but since your visit was booked in advance of the March date (after which the parking fees will start), the way I understand it, none of you will be charged the new resort parking fee. But I'm glad you will be calling, that way you can be more sure of correct info.
Hope you enjoy the Poly! Have a wonderful time!

dreamfinder

Do you have package? If you have a package everyone needs to be on the same package for the duration. So you wouldn't be able to add them in advance, but can add them once you check in as a day guest. If you don't have a package you can just add them over the phone.

Disney Stine

I've called Disney about adding a guest once before. They said to wait until the night before the guest was arriving to add them. If you do this, then you will only be charged for the days they are there. If you add the guest day of your check in or earlier, you'll be charged for your entire trip, even if she won't be there all of the days.

Not sure about parking...

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Do you have package? I
Yeah, and in calling disney yesterday, that option was definitely off the table. paying for an 8 day park hopper ticket with water park option is not really something I'm willing to do (nor is she)

If you add the guest day of your check in or earlier, you'll be charged for your entire trip, even if she won't be there all of the days.
That didn't happen before, is that a new policy? She did stay with us for a night (or two) and she was charged a nominal fee. She's staying longer and I'm asking because I wanted to be sure the policies hadn't changed.

In calling Disney, I found out its best just to add her on checkin and tell them how many days. I may register her car with Disney when I check in, since my reservation date pre-dates the parking fees.

dreamfinder

Yeah, and in calling disney yesterday, that option was definitely off the table. paying for an 8 day park hopper ticket with water park option is not really something I'm willing to do (nor is she)

That didn't happen before, is that a new policy? She did stay with us for a night (or two) and she was charged a nominal fee. She's staying longer and I'm asking because I wanted to be sure the policies hadn't changed.

In calling Disney, I found out its best just to add her on checkin and tell them how many days. I may register her car with Disney when I check in, since my reservation date pre-dates the parking fees.

Sounds like @Disney Stine was referring to adding someone to a package reservation. The solution you mentioned is just adding her as a day guest. They may or may not charge you the extra adult fee, depends on the CM.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Sounds like @Disney Stine was referring to adding someone to a package reservation. The solution you mentioned is just adding her as a day guest. They may or may not charge you the extra adult fee, depends on the CM.
I understand. in talking with Disney that was one option but they mentioned that adding them to the resrevation meant adding them to the entire package. If I had a room only reservation, that would have been fine, but since I had a package, its an all or nothig sort of thing - at least in terms of adding them to a reservation.

nickys

Premium Member
I understand. in talking with Disney that was one option but they mentioned that adding them to the resrevation meant adding them to the entire package. If I had a room only reservation, that would have been fine, but since I had a package, its an all or nothig sort of thing - at least in terms of adding them to a reservation.

I have seen reports of people being refused to add someone as a day guest now when they had a package. I think it was YC or BC, which kind of makes sense if they were clamping down on SAB guests. But I do wonder if they might be trying to cut down on day guests where a package is involved.

I hope it works out for you.

Roakor

As long as your not causing problems, you won't have any. I have stayed on the concierge level of the Grand Floridian for a night ( it was late and the person i was visiting had a spare bed). no one batted an eye. we have had friends who live in Flordia drop by for a night or two when we are down there with no issue. we never told anyone they were there. Of course you have to keep in mind the first part of this post, as long as your not causing any problems, you won't have any.

Just keep in mind you won't be able to get a room key for the guest and if they want to use the pool some one actually assigned to that room will have to go with them. but if all your looking for is a place to crash at night I don't see any problem there. the problem comes back to parking. you might be able to have them park at disney springs and catch a bus to your hotel. Not sure if the parking police will allow over night parking there.

Nick Pappagiorgio

As long as your not causing problems, you won't have any. I have stayed on the concierge level of the Grand Floridian for a night ( it was late and the person i was visiting had a spare bed). no one batted an eye. we have had friends who live in Flordia drop by for a night or two when we are down there with no issue. we never told anyone they were there. Of course you have to keep in mind the first part of this post, as long as your not causing any problems, you won't have any.

Just keep in mind you won't be able to get a room key for the guest and if they want to use the pool some one actually assigned to that room will have to go with them. but if all your looking for is a place to crash at night I don't see any problem there. the problem comes back to parking. you might be able to have them park at disney springs and catch a bus to your hotel. Not sure if the parking police will allow over night parking there.

I've done this before, I just requested a key card for one member of the party at check-in, and give the extra card or the magic band to the guest in question. This assumes that you trust said person not to run off to the parks and use your tickets, but if you are willing to sleep in the same room with this person, I don't know why you wouldn't. Although, you may want to make sure that the person you request the extra card for is the same gender as your guest.

Disney Stine

No. This was a room only reservation reserved by passholders. Disney could have changed their policy because this was in December of 2016.

eliza61nyc

I've done this before, I just requested a key card for one member of the party at check-in, and give the extra card or the magic band to the guest in question. This assumes that you trust said person not to run off to the parks and use your tickets, but if you are willing to sleep in the same room with this person, I don't know why you wouldn't. Although, you may want to make sure that the person you request the extra card for is the same gender as your guest.

When was this Nick? I was at the Grand Floridian last May and at least at the Grand, which since it's Disney's flagship they may be a little more stickler for rules. anyhoo they would only give a key card if the extra guest charge was paid. also since this time we were on the package they charge for the remaining 3 nights at the package rate (park passes etc, we didn't have the ddp).
Once again let me reiterate that maybe it was because it was the GF and May is a busy time there with weddings. we just ended up having our guest stay off site at one of the downtown disney friendly neighbor resorts.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Maybe this is too on the nose, but why say anything? Your room as an occupancy of 5 people. You are going to have 5 people there. Why does Disney need to be involved here? Am I missing something?

dreamfinder

When was this Nick? I was at the Grand Floridian last May and at least at the Grand, which since it's Disney's flagship they may be a little more stickler for rules. anyhoo they would only give a key card if the extra guest charge was paid. also since this time we were on the package they charge for the remaining 3 nights at the package rate (park passes etc, we didn't have the ddp).
Once again let me reiterate that maybe it was because it was the GF and May is a busy time there with weddings. we just ended up having our guest stay off site at one of the downtown disney friendly neighbor resorts.

It sounds like Nick was asking for a key card for one of the guests who was on the reservation already. The front desk still has them for guests who don't want to/can't use Magic Bands. Not adding another guest, just asking for an different/additional key. If you are under capacity, this shouldn't be a huge problem, but technically without adding them to the booking they can't use EMH, DME, etc.

Maybe this is too on the nose, but why say anything? Your room as an occupancy of 5 people. You are going to have 5 people there. Why does Disney need to be involved here? Am I missing something?

Records in case of emergency, head count for a fire evac, etc. But as I said, to use any of the resort services, technically they need to be on the booking. Previously if they were driving, not a huge issue as nothing needed to be booked with DME. But now with the advent of parking charges, they may need to verify being in a given room.

eliza61nyc

LOL you are probably right Xdan but I admit to be a nervous nellie. my siblings will tell you I was always the one who "folded like an accordian" under pressure. my brother swears I once admitted to killing Jimmy hoffa from just my mom giving me the evil eye.

21stamps

I added a guest for a couple nights while staying at GF in 2016, on Thanksgiving weekend. They gave her a key card and everything was fine.

OP- the only time I’ve had any kind of hiccup was at Poly.. because it was a holiday weekend (Labor Day) they made my guest valet.. then gave her a parking pass once we added her as a guest. Not a huge hiccup.. just one thing to note.

You’ll be fine. Just take her to the front desk to get her key card and parking pass once she arrives. Don’t skip that step, it doesn’t make any sense to do that..better to have the key and pass. :)

Edit— @eliza61nyc is probably correct on the extra guest charge, my guest was the 2nd adult... Disney should only charge the “extra fee” for the amount of nights your guest is there.. not the whole trip.

Last edited:

Nick Pappagiorgio

It sounds like Nick was asking for a key card for one of the guests who was on the reservation already. The front desk still has them for guests who don't want to/can't use Magic Bands. Not adding another guest, just asking for an different/additional key. If you are under capacity, this shouldn't be a huge problem, but technically without adding them to the booking they can't use EMH, DME, etc.

Yup. It certainly would be useless for anything other than getting the person in the room, so it just solves that one problem. In the alternative, if you have an old Magic Band linked to your account you could use that and skip the castmember.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom