Guardians Tower announcement Saturday in SD ...

Mike S

Behind the tower is the last bit of contiguous backstage left for DCA. And even if a new 'space land' of some kind were put there we would STILL be listening to the gripes about thematic cohesion yada yada yada "wow, so we walk from hollywood right into space land, that sucks" "they should have built a third gate" etc etc

Trying to keep some you happy is an ever moving target.

Overlay is the wrong word. Its a reconstruction, a remodel, if anything, something else than an overlay. Lets at least use some terminology that is a bit more honest.
How about an unfitting retheme?

To the part I bolded, no one seems to have a problem with that happening in DHS :)
And now, for the "Reaction that is absolutely horrifying" portion of the night....

View attachment 152835

That's... Man, WHAT?
What the....
Yeah. Completely out of place if it happens.
View attachment 152836
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!! :arghh:

Matt_Black

Don't use the crazy to condemn people upset about this horrific decision.

And you'll notice I did no such thing. All I did was say it was an extreme reaction that I found utterly horrifying, which is absolutely true. I think we can all agree that there are many sound, rational ways to voice any displeasure one might have at this, and antisemitism IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Remember, Disney had the ENTIRE catalog of Marvel properties available to them for DL and DCA...they could have made anything with Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, all of the Avengers together...but instead they make a crappy overlay to a more obscure (relatively) Marvel movie that's less family friendly.

I feel like ALL of this is because they wanted to use the same thing at WDW, as I mentioned before, and even though it seems the WDW TOT project is dead, they're STILL going along with this for DCA instead of making a real attraction that people would like and have good impressions about.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Hold on, this isn't coming to WDW. GOOD! Keeping ToT here fits. Not sure why some are hating them putting it in DCA. It should go there. It differentiates the parks.

VJ

@egg, @Stitchon and @SpaceMountain77, I appreciate your thoughtful and well-spoken responses and all of your points do make sense.

I guess I'm just tired as a whole of the knee-jerk complaining that some exhibit, like no matter what Disney does it's not good enough. We should be taking more of a wait-and-see approach.

While I don't exactly like that Disney is shoe-horning GOTG into an already-existing attraction, it might turn out at least okay; and, to be honest, I like what I'm seeing of the concept art and the story. Of course, as more comes out about the ride my opinion may change.

Disney has executed things sloppily in the past, I'll say that, but I hope that, now more than ever, things are being turned around slowly but surely. I didn't think I would like Frozen Ever After but I did, and I didn't know if I would like Soarin' Around the World but I did. What's been missing from Disney lately is the element of surprise, using new and innovative enhancements to make Guests go "wow". I think that, based on what I've seen lately (especially with Ignite the Dream in Shanghai), Disney is finally getting back to that.

I'm still being cautiously optimistic; but with every new addition that actually works well, Disney is gaining back my trust. I'm just asking all of you to wait and see. It might be horrible. It might be great. We just don't know right now. And concept art can't fully get across the experience of something like this, so.. Try to keep an open mind. Please.

And hey, if it turns out to be horrible then you can all come back and quote this post and say "VJ was wrong! Hahaha!". I'll gladly accept being wrong. I just hope Disney proves me right.

And no, I don't consider myself a pixie duster. Nor a doom 'n' gloomer. I'm somewhere in the middle and that's where I like to be. Sorta the middle ground, voice of reason as it were. I know I don't do many of these opinion posts (because I usually have a hard time getting my opinion across cohesively) but you all have been warm and welcoming the last few times I've done these so I hope this one goes over just as well.

VJ

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

To be completely honest I would prefer UoE to get guardians over tot at dhs anyday. Like others have said as bad as it is for dca it actually isn't that iconic, but in hws it definitely is. I still am very disappointed with Disney. One thing is (which is already bad enough) to turn a c-ticket into a d-ticket, but to turn essentially a classic e-ticket headliner has me wanting to explode. Thank goodness it isn't happening to hws.

FigmentJedi

I haven't seen Joe look this frustrated/uneasy since that Avatar model photo
tumblr_oasyr5dFZI1sa3t1go3_540.png

ava6-2.jpg

ChrisFL

Premium Member
@egg, @Stitchon and @SpaceMountain77, I appreciate your thoughtful and well-spoken responses and all of your points do make sense.

I guess I'm just tired as a whole of the knee-jerk complaining that some exhibit, like no matter what Disney does it's not good enough. We should be taking more of a wait-and-see approach.

While I don't exactly like that Disney is shoe-horning GOTG into an already-existing attraction, it might turn out at least okay; and, to be honest, I like what I'm seeing of the concept art and the story. Of course, as more comes out about the ride my opinion may change.

Disney has executed things sloppily in the past, I'll say that, but I hope that, now more than ever, things are being turned around slowly but surely. I didn't think I would like Frozen Ever After but I did, and I didn't know if I would like Soarin' Around the World but I did. What's been missing from Disney lately is the element of surprise, using new and innovative enhancements to make Guests go "wow". I think that, based on what I've seen lately (especially with Ignite the Dream in Shanghai), Disney is finally getting back to that.

I'm still being cautiously optimistic; but with every new addition that actually works well, Disney is gaining back my trust. I'm just asking all of you to wait and see. It might be horrible. It might be great. We just don't know right now. And concept art can't fully get across the experience of something like this, so.. Try to keep an open mind. Please.

And hey, if it turns out to be horrible then you can all come back and quote this post and say "VJ was wrong! Hahaha!". I'll gladly accept being wrong. I just hope Disney proves me right.

And no, I'm not a pixie duster. Nor am I a lifestyler. I'm somewhere in the middle and that's where I like to be. Sorta the middle ground, voice of reason as it were. I know I don't do many of these opinion posts (because I usually have a hard time getting my opinion across cohesively) but you all have been warm and welcoming the last few times I've done these so I hope this one goes over just as well.

VJ

They wouldn't be shoehorning into an existing ride, using the exact same ride system and a short schedule for this if they weren't planning to be cheap. Sorry, that's just how I'm feeling.

Daveeeeed

And no, I'm not a pixie duster. Nor am I a lifestyler. I'm somewhere in the middle and that's where I like to be. Sorta the middle ground, voice of reason as it were. I know I don't do many of these opinion posts (because I usually have a hard time getting my opinion across cohesively) but you all have been warm and welcoming the last few times I've done these so I hope this one goes over just as well.

VJ
It'll be great, and I agree Disney is once again making higher quality attractions. the sad part here is that they are taking out what is essentially a classic E-ticket Headliner attraction instead of making a new one, or taking out a lesser attraction like Monsters Inc. I'm sure it will still be a great ride, but the hotel theme worked perfect for it. It really is a shame. Thank goodness it's not coming to hws!

FigmentForver96

??? No, it should not.

Why should the theming of DCA suffer?
Oh don't you know? This isn't suffering! This is the Disney way! I mean how stupid of us to think that Disney even cares about some dusty stupid IP like the twilight zone! I mean my little princess snowflake doesn't know what that it is and the ride is way to scary for her! This is Disney and should only be happy giddy moments of the latest IPS in the Disney closet. So who the hell cares if we destroy originality and great ideas because Disney has to keep changing because that is Walt would have wanted!

Variable

Well if we are being entirely honest the park had been an issue from the beginning. It was awful when it opened, was themed around the state of California yet had no sense of direction or vision. Then they change it with new rides like Little Mermaid (Caifornia...no idea), Sorin over the World (California...not really.) and now this. So yea "space land" would be bad too but at least we could accept the awesome new experinces and lands.

Yep. I grok. The place is severely constrained, I too would like a bit more but I just try to accept there are only so many paths available to reach "new"

Sorry if I get a little imoatient with some of this. It's very emotional for many people.

FigmentForver96

Yep. I grok. The place is severely constrained, I too would like a bit more but I just try to accept there are only so many paths available to reach "new"

Sorry if I get a little imoatient with some of this. It's very emotional for many people.
Disney made this mess and I don't feel sorry they now lay in the bed they made. The ride in DCA was nowhere near as good as the DHS version. It was a band-aid solution to a terribly failing park. Yet the point was it was original. The Twilight Zone theme was more of just a concept versus the actual theme of the ride as the ride itself took on a whole role of its own with the Twilight Zone simply enhancing the story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom