Guardians Ride Type?

Bill Cipher

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
So basically all of our insiders are confirming that a Guardians of the Galaxy ride has been green lit to go in the Universe of Energy pavillon in Epcot. Seeing as the new ride has been confirmed to be an E-ticket, and that a walkthrough attraction and short show will be put in the same building, this ride would obviously need to use a new ride type than the one being used currently for Energy. And so I made this thread to ask you the question, what type of ride do you think would be put in place for Guardians?

I'd personally like to see a ride that combines physical sets and large immersive screens, much like Amazing Spiderman at IOA, but seeing as this will probably be a quick overhaul, it might just be a Star Tours style simulator. Thoughts?:)

Corbin

Disney did a great job with the combined physical/screens sets at the Pirates ride in Disneyland Shanghai, so I could see that happening in that large space. There's also the rumor it could go in the Wonders of Life pavilion, and if so, they could re-use the Body Wars queue and theaters.

Bill Cipher

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
link to insiders?
There is a thread on the front page of the news and rumors forum about gotg coming to epcot and most of the insiders on this site like marni, lee, and mansionbutler are confirming it has been green lit. I dont know how to link though so sorry about that.

Bill Cipher

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Disney did a great job with the combined physical/screens sets at the Pirates ride in Disneyland Shanghai, so I could see that happening in that large space. There's also the rumor it could go in the Wonders of Life pavilion, and if so, they could re-use the Body Wars queue and theaters.
Insiders are saying that the old wonders of life pavillion would be a potential phase 2 for guardians and that the first attraction would be in the energy pavillion. Either way, the old queue and simulators for body wars have been demoed iirc.

ScottKC

Why would something like that go into EPCOT's Future World and not Hollywood Studios?
I have not seen Guardians in it's entirety, what I saw looked vaguely interesting. I realize it was a big hit and all but I wonder how much cultural relevancy it has...movies make a billion dollars these days and then they vanish and don't seem to have any legs. Sort of felt the same way about Avatar, but maybe the stunning AK addition will bring it back to life. Or maybe it will be its own thing...Waterworld was an infamous flop and yet the stunt show lives on at Universal Hollywood.

As far as why this is at Epcot? Well I'd say they feel they need something for "Future World" and the movie has spaceships and looks futuristic and what not. It isn't a question of finding the best fit but seeing where it may be needed and where they can put it. It's kind of like when they replaced Adventures Through Inner Space with Star Tours at Disneyland back in 1987....didn't quite fit but "make it work people."

morningstar

I have not seen Guardians in it's entirety, what I saw looked vaguely interesting. I realize it was a big hit and all but I wonder how much cultural relevancy it has...movies make a billion dollars these days and then they vanish and don't seem to have any legs.

I've seen it and it was pretty good, but yeah I think it was tapping into a very current zeitgeist. Ten or twenty years from now it will look like a sci-fi Saturday Night Fever.

Sort of felt the same way about Avatar, but maybe the stunning AK addition will bring it back to life. Or maybe it will be its own thing...

Avatar seems to have faded from popularity, but at least Avatar was based on a unique and immersive world. That's the kind of thing that makes for a good theme park attraction, I think. Guardians of the Galaxy's popularity is in its characters and wisecrack-y dialogue. All of its settings were fairly run-of-the-mill sci-fi space stations and planets. Theme park rides don't really do dialogue.

Waterworld was an infamous flop and yet the stunt show lives on at Universal Hollywood.

IIRC Waterworld was actually a huge box-office success. It was critically panned. But like Avatar, it had a unique and elaborate world.

As far as why this is at Epcot? Well I'd say they feel they need something for "Future World" and the movie has spaceships and looks futuristic and what not.

:facepalm: You're thinking of Tomorrowland. Future World is about a real possible future. It might be alright to put something based on a hard sci-fi property, like say Interstellar. Space opera has no place there.

ScottKC

IIRC Waterworld was actually a huge box-office success. It was critically panned. But like Avatar, it had a unique and elaborate world.

Yeah, that's a valid point, you are right about the financial success of Waterworld, but I think it was perceived to be a flop and arguably had no staying power. My point was more to how theme park attractions can take on a life of their own regardless of the staying power of the inspiring IP.

:facepalm: You're thinking of Tomorrowland. Future World is about a real possible future. It might be alright to put something based on a hard sci-fi property, like say Interstellar. Space opera has no place there.

Oh I'm not trying to say why I think it is a good fit, I am just imagining what the rationalization is. The distinction between Tomorrowland/Future World is probably lost on some management types. In my opinion original Tomorrowland was probably closer to original Future World in spirit than the Sci-Fi holding area it has turned into. Star Tours is what broke the theme 30 years ago. I also am trying to explore the idea that when we say something "has no place there" while I may agree with that form a strict thematic point of view...I imagine from Disney's point of view that is irrelevant...that they crossed that bridge a long time ago...with original Tomorrowland. And well with Nemo at Epcot. As fans we may see lines in the sand that they themselves believe they have crossed a long time ago.

Future World is/now will be a combo of Sci-Fi/Futuristic/Technical attractions and World Showcase is/will be stories related/inspired by cultures of the world. They were different things(Probable Future/Countries of the World) but not anymore and in a way that is sad.

I totally see what you are saying and am sympathetic to it and at the same time I am curious to see what they come up with.

morningstar

Oh I'm not trying to say why I think it is a good fit, I am just imagining what the rationalization is. The distinction between Tomorrowland/Future World is probably lost on some management types. In my opinion original Tomorrowland was probably closer to original Future World in spirit than the Sci-Fi holding area it has turned into. Star Tours is what broke the theme 30 years ago.

You're right, original Tomorrowland was pretty close in concept to Future World. Things like Flight to the Moon (or whatever it was called), House of the Future, and the Astro Orbiters were pretty fact-based. Even Space Mountain can be interpreted as a ride on a conventional rocket, while obviously a sort of abstract interpretation rather than a realistic simulation. But yeah, the majority of what's there now is more fiction than science, starting with Star Tours.

I'd argue that that's okay, since Epcot took over the original mission of Tomorrowland. But now they're just abandoning that mission, which is something Walt clearly believed in. It explains his involvement in world's fairs. It explains why original Tomorrowland was relatively fact-based, whereas Adventureland doesn't make much effort to provide accurate representations of jungle exploration, historical piracy, or the cultural meanings of tikis and the sacred buildings in which they're kept. It's also behind his outlandish dream of Progress City that became EPCOT in scaled-down form.

BEGIN RANT

I know we're only supposed to follow the money now, and not care what Walt wanted, but you know, what Walt wanted turned out to be a pretty big success monetarily, too, compared to his competitors in film and theme parks who only understood money. I mean, EPCOT inspired me as a kid, and I don't know if I'd be a long term Disney fan if not for it. A Guardians of the Galaxy ride may sell tickets for the next couple of years, but I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy has the power to leave a lasting impression and motivate kids today to bring back their kids fifteen years from now.

RANT COMPLETE

Bacon

Universe of energys next i.p this would bring in tons of people (Someone please email disney this idea)
S2e1_portal_scan-1.png

Minnesota disney fan

I have not seen Guardians in it's entirety, what I saw looked vaguely interesting. I realize it was a big hit and all but I wonder how much cultural relevancy it has...movies make a billion dollars these days and then they vanish and don't seem to have any legs. Sort of felt the same way about Avatar, but maybe the stunning AK addition will bring it back to life. Or maybe it will be its own thing...Waterworld was an infamous flop and yet the stunt show lives on at Universal Hollywood.

As far as why this is at Epcot? Well I'd say they feel they need something for "Future World" and the movie has spaceships and looks futuristic and what not. It isn't a question of finding the best fit but seeing where it may be needed and where they can put it. It's kind of like when they replaced Adventures Through Inner Space with Star Tours at Disneyland back in 1987....didn't quite fit but "make it work people."

I agree with your first statement, but I have never seen Galaxy; Never had an interest in it and honestly don't even know what it is about. Don't know what all the fuss is about? Guess I'll have to check it out. Tired of being out of the loop on GOG.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I apologize about bringing this thread back from the dead, but was curious as if anything was still happening over at "Ellen's Universe of Energy". Rode it last year and was thinking that it was fun but needed some big time refreshing.
At one point there was discussion of this attraction closing in the near future. Is this still a go? Is a Guardians attraction still the replacement attraction? What the latest if there is one?

Thanks!
There's a huge thread in news and rumours about it. Yes, it's still a go but slightly delayed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom