Guardians of the Galaxy: What do you think?

Magenta Panther

Saw it last night and it was VERY enjoyable. Both my wife and I came out quite happy with it. My comparison in terms of comedy/action combination would be something like Hellboy or Buckaroo Banzai. The crowd at the showing we went to loved it and every single person stayed for the entire credits just for the tag at the end.

I like Hellboy - both the animated and live-action versions (well, maybe the animated I like a little better). May have to check out Guardians. Sure hope I don't get stuck with that morbid Dreamworks flick instead... :p

Besides, it's nice to see that Meeko's still getting work...

images

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
From Entertainment Weekly

After scoring $11.2 million in late-night Thursday shows — a record for 2014 — Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy rocketed to a huge $37.8 on Friday. Depending on how the movie holds up today, it could end the weekend with upwards of $100 million in the bank — the highest August opening in history

flynnibus

Premium Member
Great movie... I just hope people don't pigeon hole it as some comic book movie and don't give it a chance.

Fantastic fun movie you can enjoy with ZERO connection to the source material. I hope it becomes a runaway success.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Awesome movie!
Not quite as good as The Avengers, but darn close and much funnier.
People have been comparing this to Star Wars but I thought it was more like a cross between The Avengers and Heavy Metal.

I made the star wars connection because it's more a sci-fi action film then it is a superhero film. I think the film should have wide appeal if people give it a chance.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I made the star wars connection because it's more a sci-fi action film then it is a superhero film. I think the film should have wide appeal if people give it a chance.
The Star Wars feel for me came from the way the movie started, jumping around from planet to planet with the names of the places on screen.

Matt_Black

Great movie... I just hope people don't pigeon hole it as some comic book movie and don't give it a chance.

Fantastic fun movie you can enjoy with ZERO connection to the source material. I hope it becomes a runaway success.

Well, considering how most people have never even heard of these characters, even many comic fans are going to be going in cold, so I think it's got a good shot.

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Volume 1 is currently the number one album on iTunes. Not bad considering most of the songs are at least a quarter century old or more.

ProfSavage

Loved it!! Best Marvel movie so far (imo). Gunn found the perfect balance of humor and action and comic mythos... oh and that awesome Classic Rock soundtrack!

Also, this
nHCJb5E.gif

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Volume 1 is currently the number one album on iTunes. Not bad considering most of the songs are at least a quarter century old or more.

Certainly makes for a easy marketing gimmick (using the mix label). GTA did that for music too.. Tron Legacy was pretty good for Journey too :)

I wasn't really a fan of any of the pop music tracks in the film really. The Kevin Bacon jokes were funny. Usually I feel the pop music dates a film or keeps it from being iconic in its own sense.

I mean.. imagine if we associated Superman with an Elton John song instead of those horns from John William's score?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
From Entertainment Weekly -

Marvel’s got a new star (or five) in its roster: Guardians of the Galaxy launched to an estimated $94 million this weekend in 4,080 theaters, setting a new record for an August debut. (The previous winner was 2007’s The Bourne Ultimatum, with $69.3 million.) That’s the third biggest opening of 2014 so far, behind Transformers: Age of Extinction ($100 million) and Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million).

It’s also the seventh best opening in history for a non-sequel (or sixth if you count Marvel’s The Avengers as a mega-sequel), outpacing other superhero series debuts such as 2011’s Thor ($65.7 million) and 2011’s Captain America: The First Avenger ($65.1 million). One more fun stat: Guardians is Marvel’s ninth (!) consecutive No. 1 movie, a streak that reaches back to Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012), which debuted at No. 3.

The movie also earned $66.4 million overseas, bringing its global gross to a stellar $160.4 million.

lazyboy97o

Also, the film has done very well with the female demographic- exit polls show that 44% of the audiences have been women, which is surprising because Tom Hiddleston isn't in the film. ;)
Thinking back to opening weekend of Iron Man, it really is quite amazing how much the demographics of the theaters I am sitting in have changed.

Matt_Black

Thinking back to opening weekend of Iron Man, it really is quite amazing how much the demographics of the theaters I am sitting in have changed.

I for one am glad about this. If you had told high school me that there would come a time when you could actually talk about the Avengers with a pretty girl and she'd not roll her eyes or run away in fear, I'd have thought you were insane.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I for one am glad about this. If you had told high school me that there would come a time when you could actually talk about the Avengers with a pretty girl and she'd not roll her eyes or run away in fear, I'd have thought you were insane.
Amen to that. We have Hugh Jackman to thank for a lot of that.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I always enjoyed Super hero Movies but would wait for video or my boyfriend or later my husband would drag me. But I love Marvel movies! Not just because of "hot guys" I like the mix of action, comedy and drama they have. I also love the minimal romance. I've gotten older I just roll my eyes and cringe at all the romance stuff. Most of it's cheesy and poorly done.

CentralFLlife

Original Poster
Saw it opening night. Its unbelievable, exactly as crazy and insane as it needed to be. Well done James Gunn, I will be seeing this many more times

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom