Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark coming this Halloween

mickEblu

I have a feeling they are doing it this way because the ride is only a few months old (which is why I was surprised it was getting a Halloween overlay in the first place). With that said, they had the foresight to create the Halloween version at the same time as the original and wanted to showcase it this year. Next year I suspect they will run the overlay all day like HMH and Ghost Galaxy.

BTW I was at the parks last night and really like what they did with BVS at DCA. Feels more like the "scary" Halloween vibe that I expect at theme parks (all while staying family friendly and sans Gore) and not the cutesy Halloween across the esplanade. The headless horsemen statue is pretty damn cool. I like the soundtrack in the area as well as the purple lighting and oogies voice occasionally being heard. Cars Land is also very well done.

It didn't really feel like Halloween at all at DL. Just the jack o lanterns at the entrance, the Big Mickey pumpkin and orange bunting. Halloween at DL looks and feels more like Thanksgiving. I'm sure by design. If you want more than a little taste of Halloween you have to buy the Halloween tickets... which I've never done.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I have a feeling they are doing it this way because the ride is only a few months old (which is why I was surprised it was getting a Halloween overlay in the first place). Next year I suspect they will run the overlay all day like HMH and Ghost Galaxy.

BTW I was at the parks last night and really like what they did with BVS at DCA. Feels more like the "scary" Halloween vibe that I expect at theme parks (all while staying family friendly and sans Gore) and not the cutesy Halloween across the esplanade. The headless horsemen statue is pretty damn cool. I like the soundtrack in the area as well as the purple lighting and oogies voice occasionally being heard. Cars Land is also very well done.

It didn't really feel like Halloween at all at DL. Just the jack o lanterns at the entrance, the Big Mickey pumpkin and orange bunting. Halloween at DL looks and feels more like Thanksgiving... and they probably purposely do it this way to see more Halloween party tickets.
Halloween at DL was about as festive as a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
DCA and particularly Carsland are doing it right.

Phroobar

I don't think they can just flip a switch. There are enough differences that warrant them needing time to prepare. The inside queue has different lighting, effects, and as part of the "story" any of the "live creatures" in the queue such as cosmo are covered up because they have escaped. The pre-show is different so I imagine they need to test it to make sure it is working properly before guests enter and of course the ride itself is different. Different projections, music, and drop sequence.
All of that stuff should be computerized. There is no reason to have anyone do preshow adjustments. Even for Cosmo they could use a glass reflection trick to make the AA disappear.

TROR

BTW I was at the parks last night and really like what they did with BVS at DCA. Feels more like the "scary" Halloween vibe that I expect at theme parks (all while staying family friendly and sans Gore) and not the cutesy Halloween across the esplanade.
Maybe there's not gore on BVS, but the MAD's CM outfits are covered in blood which is really bizarre to me.

mickEblu

All of that stuff should be computerized. There is no reason to have anyone do preshow adjustments. Even for Cosmo they could use a glass reflection trick to make the AA disappear.

True but it's a seasonal overlay for 6 weeks. Why not offer the Halloween version all day? It's bad enough they close at 8pm and the Halloween lights/ sounds/ overlay didn't turn on until the sun went down around 7:15pm. 45 minutes of Halloween.

SSG

Oh really? Didn't notice. I didn't get a chance to ride. That's definitely a departure for Disney.
From Mice Chat: "The Guardians CMs get different “Tivan Response Team” costumes for after 6pm."

Tivan Response Team.jpg

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Oh really? Didn't notice. I didn't get a chance to ride. That's definitely a departure for Disney.
GOTG already broke the mold when they dropped "crap" into some on-ride dialogue (granted of course, its not that offensive to most people) so why shouldn't they keep it going by adding blood to CM costumes?

Phroobar

True but it's a seasonal overlay for 6 weeks. Why not offer the Halloween version all day? It's bad enough they close at 8pm and the Halloween lights/ sounds/ overlay didn't turn on until the sun went down around 7:15pm. 45 minutes of Halloween.
I think it should be a permanent day/night thing. It would be the first Disney ride to do that year round.

mickEblu

I think it should be a permanent day/night thing. It would be the first Disney ride to do that year round.

That's a good idea If they can do it smoothly without shutting down. Only thing then they would need another Halloween overlay as a draw during the holiday season.

D.Silentu

I suppose I do mind it a little bit, if only that it leads to a slippery slope. The vests are a nice touch and cleverly distressed, but I see no reason that the red "goo" couldn't have been green (or another color). Star Trek has been giving aliens odd colored blood for decades to mind the rating system. My curiosity is who exactly this "goo" is for. I understand Monsters After Dark is going to be a headliner at upcoming DCA Halloween parties. I can't imagine they're appealing to a different crowd than the current parties and it's known teens go to Knotts or Universal for Halloween. So the blood is for families?

Similar issues came up when Universal added Fast & Furious to their tram tour. In addition to some light swearing, the experience featured some scantily clad girls. Within months those girls had their garments digitally lengthened. I think that was a good choice, the tram tour is Universal's marquee attraction and it should cater to general audiences. Honestly, I could do without the language for the same reason but Universal has always been a tad more grown up and it is accurate to the source material. On the other hand, Disney censored aspects of Indiana Jones for his ride, and I've never heard anyone complain that it doesn't feel authentic. I'm surprised to hear that they are taking a less guarded approach to Guardians of the Galaxy and I'm not sure that's the right move for a Disney park.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I suppose I do mind it a little bit, if only that it leads to a slippery slope. The vests are a nice touch and cleverly distressed, but I see no reason that the red "goo" couldn't have been green (or another color). Star Trek has been giving aliens odd colored blood for decades to mind the rating system. My curiosity is who exactly this "goo" is for. I understand Monsters After Dark is going to be a headliner at upcoming DCA Halloween parties. I can't imagine they're appealing to a different crowd than the current parties and it's known teens go to Knotts or Universal for Halloween. So the blood is for families?

Similar issues came up when Universal added Fast & Furious to their tram tour. In addition to some light swearing, the experience featured some scantily clad girls. Within months those girls had their garments digitally lengthened. I think that was a good choice, the tram tour is Universal's marquee attraction and it should cater to general audiences. Honestly, I could do without the language for the same reason but Universal has always been a tad more grown up and it is accurate to the source material. On the other hand, Disney censored aspects of Indiana Jones for his ride, and I've never heard anyone complain that it doesn't feel authentic. I'm surprised to hear that they are taking a less guarded approach to Guardians of the Galaxy and I'm not sure that's the right move for a Disney park.

About every ten years or so, long enough for the new people in charge to have forgotten or just not know any better, Disneyland makes an attempt to be "hip and edgy" and inevitably it fails. Nobody is going to a Disney Park to see monster blood.

mickEblu

Fast n the Furious is the cheesiest thing I've ever seen at a theme park. Horrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom