Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

GiveMeTheMusic

Let's just say I'm not receiving a monetary reward in my pay bucket. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

giphy.gif

Daveeeeed

I absolutely HATED the idea of The Tower of a Terror being overlaid -- my favorite ride at Walt Disney World is Tot after all, but it will eventually fit very nicely with a Marvel land in the inferior Tot attraction.

I would give Disney's California Adventure's Tower of Terror an 8/10, and Guardians of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout an 8.5/10, and I will tell you why:

Both were great rides and if I had to chose I would still pick the Tower of Terror, but the little things in DCA's ride like walking between a hallway through the elevator doors mess it up a bit while it is not a problem anymore.

If WDW's did not exist The Tower of Terror should have stayed, but since it exists in Florida I think Mission Breakout is great to have. It feels like you are watching/in a Guardians of The Galaxy movie.
This ride feels to me like a hybrid Universal and Disney ride. Uses screens unfortunately too for most of the ride, but it uses them well. Overall we enjoyed it, but still prefer WDW's Tower of a Terror, but prefer it to DCA's.

Pros:

• Pure fun like Toy Story Midway Mania!
  • Enhances the ride system: It uses the lift technology far better jumping and dropping throughout the ride, and doing so much faster, and frantic. Also sort of bounces at some scenes or the vehicle acts like it is clicking into place which works very well. Tot's ride drops works best for Tot's suspenseful feel, while Gotg: MB's works best for Gotg: MB's frantic feel with 80's music.
  • The music thoroughly adds to the experience
  • The Guardians of The Galaxy characters make for an excellent attraction.
  • Second best preshow possibly ever after The Haunted Mansion.
  • Great comedy that doesn't feel forced.
  • Fantastic acting & CGI make it feel real.
  • The queue has many great Easter Eggs and has a true "Collection".
  • Exterior looks better in person than in photos, but it's still not perfect.
  • Paves way gracefully for a future Marvel land.
  • Gives you yet another reason to go to Disneyland from the East Coast as this adds to the resort's already stellar or superior unique rides roster.
  • Great re-rideability especially for a mostly screen-based ride. We rode it 4 times today, and all of those 4 times had a different song.
  • Ride Story is unexpectedly very good. Really does feel like it could have been a part in a film.
Cons:
  • It got rid of a thematically more impressive attraction.
  • At times, theming is sparser than what it should be. The industrial look almost gives them the option to go a bit cheaper, and they do unfortunately use that opportunity.
  • Sight Lines are an issue throughout the resort (except ironically for Hollywood Land).
  • It does not fit the park's California theme, so I except that to change.
  • The outdoor queue is very uninspiring.
  • Not a new ride.

All in all I'll give this ride an 8.5/10.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I absolutely HATED the idea of The Tower of a Terror being overlaid -- my favorite ride at Walt Disney World is Tot after all, but it will eventually fit well with a Marvel land.

I would give Disney's California Adventure's Tower of Terror an 8/10, and Guardians of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout an 8.5/10, and I will tell you why

Pros:
  • Pure fun like Toy Story Midway Mania.
  • Enhances the ride system: It uses the lift technology far better jumping and dropping throughout the ride, and doing so much faster, and frantic. Also sort of bounces at some scenes or the vehicle acts like it is clicking into place which works very well.
  • The music thoroughly adds to the experience
  • The Guardians of The Galaxy characters make for an excellent attraction.
  • Second best preshow possibly ever after The Haunted Mansion.
  • Great comedy that doesn't feel forced.
Cons:
  • It got rid of a thematically more impressive attraction.
  • Sight Lines are an issue (except ironically for Hollywood Land).
  • At times theming is sparser than what it should be. The industrial look almost gives them the option to go a bit cheaper.

Pre show is fantastic.

Just a quick thought on the ride system- I prefer the way TOT used it. It felt more like a drop ride and was a little more suspenseful where as with GOTG it feels bouncier and more like a launch ride. I feel like I'm going up more than I'm going down if that makes any sense.

Daveeeeed

Pre show is fantastic.

Just a quick thought on the ride system- I prefer the way TOT used it. It felt more like a drop ride and was a little more suspenseful where as with GOTG it feels bouncier and more like a launch ride. I feel like I'm going up more than I'm going down if that makes any sense.
You do go up a lot, but it makes it more frantic. I think Tot's style works better for Tot, and MB works better for MB. The bouncier feel works excellent for the Guardians of The Galaxy property.
It was also really neat to see Marvel characters in the park walking around.

They did not cheap out with this that's for sure!

mickEblu

You do go up a lot, but it makes it more frantic. I think Tot's style works better for Tot, and MB works better for MB. The bouncier feel works excellent for the Guardians of The Galaxy property.
It was also really neat to see Marvel characters in the park walking around.

They did not cheap out with this that's for sure!

Oh ya it definitely works for GOTG. I just liked how TOT utilized the ride system more.

mickEblu

Depending how they use the upward motion and the bounce, it can give you more 'air time' than just suddenly dropping. If you're being literally thrown upward and then the system slows down faster than you do, then that's extra air time.

Definitely a lot more air time but it wasn't as thrilling or suspenseful for me. I don't think there was one drop that went the entire distance (from opening doors up top to bottom floor). Or maybe it just felt that way because the tone of the ride is very different and lacks the build up.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
They basically turned ToT into a vertical version of Star Tours with all the movement. One has to wonder what Disney could've come up with from scratch, with more time and money instead of shoehorning it into ToT really quickly and cheap. I guess we'll see in Epcot if that gets off the ground.

Daveeeeed

I love ToT (although FL is better). But I really loved this. I've only ridden it twice and I have no idea which songs I heard. I was really impressed. This was an impressive makeover on a tight turnaround. Can't wait to ride it again.

(And have you seen Groot!!!)
I rode it 5 times today:):):). Rope drop + Fastpass while soaking up the scenery and queuing for other rides is awesome.

Daveeeeed

They basically turned ToT into a vertical version of Star Tours with all the movement. One has to wonder what Disney could've come up with from scratch, with more time and money instead of shoehorning it into ToT really quickly and cheap. I guess we'll see in Epcot if that gets off the ground.
It's going to be out of this world. I cannot imagine what a new build would have.

At this point I have to say I'm 100% on board for Gotg at Epcot. IPs are unfortunately coming in, but hopefully they can integrate it somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom