Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Ismael Flores

I am even more confused now about how this makes any sense.

It's an exhibition of the collector's artifacts brought to the resort for display, right? But then how do you explain what you see in the background of each screen or why rocket is surprised when you're looking over the resort? And how does it make any sense to call the elevator a gantry lift?
there is a really good video of Rohde giving a tour of the attraction. Its actually a pretty simple story. The collector has taken over the building and added enough power grids to be able to secure his collection. without knowing rocket racoon being an expert escape artist gets away and needs the VIP guests to use their security clearance to gain access into the vault via gantry lift. The whole clearance idea is maintained as you proceed from room to room and into the second queue. During the ride it seems from what we are hearing racoon is just like his character in the movies and never shuts up saying things that just pop in his head

Rich T

Other than the Hollywood Backlot (undeniably a part of California), which barely even resembles a backlot or anything a studio would offer aside from the few set pieces and the animation building, what makes you say that?
I can see the park taking on a new life as a movie-based adventure park, with the California theme more and more becoming a subtle unifying background element. All these films spring from California creativity, so there ya go.

D

Deleted member 107043

I can see the park taking on a new life as a movie-based adventure park, with the California theme more and more becoming a subtle unifying background element. All these films spring from California creativity, so there ya go.

Well if that's all it takes to qualify DCA as a movie-based adventure "studio park" then Disneyland is a studio park too.

Professortango1

Leave the Orlando tower alone. The original ride was much better then the copies and unlike DCA, which is already a mess in that corner of the park, Sunset and Hollywood Blvd are visually stunning and cohesive.

I think this retheme would have fit the DHS Tower much better and fits their park more as well. If this proves successful, I wouldn't put it past them to have it take over the DHS Tower. I'm sure it makes more sense for them to do that than give it the much needed makeover its been needing.

dweezil78

I think, if anything, the pre-existing "studio" parks have become less and less about the actual studio part -- with very little emphasis on movie making and the craft behind. Early Universal and MGM was all about that and this aspect has almost all but disappeared with some exceptions scattered about. DCA may have some similarities in that there are rides based on movies and a focus on California, where movies are made...but to say it's a "studio" park because of this is definitely a stretch.

Professortango1

If that identity is slowing becoming a "studios" type park, then you may be on the right track. I think we're starting to witness the slow transition from "California" into "Studios". Don't be surprised if in 4-5 years time, they consider changing the name of the whole park.

How does Paradise Pier and Grizzly Peak tie into a Studio Park? That's like 1/2 of the entire park which feels nothing like a studio nor franchise.

mickEblu

I think this retheme would have fit the DHS Tower much better and fits their park more as well. If this proves successful, I wouldn't put it past them to have it take over the DHS Tower. I'm sure it makes more sense for them to do that than give it the much needed makeover its been needing.

Oh great. Looks like I need to get WDW asap to ride the original TOT. As a father of an 18 month old and DLR AP, it's hard for me to make it a priority to get out to WDW. I get to go on one long vacation a year if I'm lucky. Being that DLR is in my backyard Id rather not put that time and money into (an exhausting) Disney trip. Especially one where most people say is inferior to DLR. With that said, I would love to see AK, EPCOT, the original TOT and be able to compare and contrast the MK to DL.

Professortango1

So the floor level and space inside this Tower of Terror showroom scene where you used to wave at the mirror...
photo+56.JPG

Has been physically replaced with this scene where the Guardians do stuff and talk to you about it...
Capture%2Bd%25E2%2580%2599e%25CC%2581cran%2B2017-05-25%2Ba%25CC%2580%2B19.50.29.png

What we haven't seen yet is what takes the space on the floor level and area where this used to happen. It was a space that was physically much deeper than the "Wave At The Mirror" scene. What has replaced this area in Mission: Breakout?
DSC_6974.jpg

The spaces in TOT are about the same. Remember, that behind the facade with the mirror is a space equal to the space in front of it and then an empty elevator vehicle. We're only seeing half of the room in the Mirror Hallway.

D

Deleted member 107043

Given the relatively severe space constraints at DLR and its scaled version down version of the ride it made sense for Disney to abandon DCA's ToT and replace it with something that appears to be arguably better AND aligned with the Marvel acquisition. In contrast, with almost endless acreage to play with at WDW, there are a hundred ways the Imagineers can incorporate the various Marvel franchises in Florida without touching ToT - from new dining experiences to new hotels to new theme park rides - that would be impossible in Anaheim.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

So the floor level and space inside this Tower of Terror showroom scene where you used to wave at the mirror...
photo+56.JPG

Has been physically replaced with this scene where the Guardians do stuff and talk to you about it...
Capture%2Bd%25E2%2580%2599e%25CC%2581cran%2B2017-05-25%2Ba%25CC%2580%2B19.50.29.png

What we haven't seen yet is what takes the space on the floor level and area where this used to happen. It was a space that was physically much deeper than the "Wave At The Mirror" scene. What has replaced this area in Mission: Breakout?
DSC_6974.jpg

Eh. The mirror scene set looks much richer and "real world" in TOT than it does in GOTG:MB. Something about the look of the "new mirror scene" kind of breaks the immersion. Probably has something to do with Very sterile set surrounding that large screen. I won't comment on the image on the screen because I understand it's tough to capture via photo. Curious to see what the new hallway scene looks like.

Of course I will reserve final judgment until I ride in person but I don't like what I'm seeing in the pictures set wise. Especially when I see side by side comparisons of what it used to be.

2351metalcloud

How does Paradise Pier and Grizzly Peak tie into a Studio Park? That's like 1/2 of the entire park which feels nothing like a studio nor franchise.

For the Paradise Pier, it could be changed to be part of Coney Island, maybe even historical Coney Island that Captain America and Bucky discuss in the movie Civil War. Or it could be changed to the amusement park area seen in the Spider-Man: Homecoming which possibly is supposed to be be part of Coney Island. Or it could be the amusement park area that Iron Man flies over in the first 2008 Iron Man. If they put all of the other attractions with Marvel stuff at them in the Hollywood Land section however, it would make this area kind of separated from the other areas with Marvel stuff

mickEblu

I was talking about the ride itself. The queue is a lot of fun, and arguably more interesting than TOT's queue. The animatronic is phenomenal, but once again, we're talking about the ride. If they had incorporated some Groot/Rocket/Tencacles/etc animatronics to pop out of wall panels or the ceiling a la Tough to Be A Bug, then that would be a great improvement. Instead they took a 3D world and made it 2D.

As for Tower being just screens, that's not true. If the hallway was a hallway themed border and the rest of the scene was on a flat screen, then you'd have a point. Disney could have easily had a flat projected hallway that morphs and changes via movie special effects and editing. But they didn't, they knew the story needed a 3 dimensional hallway that projection would interact with, but not replace. Even the mirror scene had tons of practical effects occurring in the hallway. The mirror was the focus, but not the only piece of visual interest. With these screens, there isn't any visual interest in the sets surrounding them.

And the set around the mirror scene looks very sterile. It looks like the set you would see around a photo opp or something.

You nailed it with this ....
"Instead they took a 3D world and made it 2D."
I just posted something similar and read your post after. You said it much better.

Professortango1

For the Paradise Pier, it could be changed to be part of Coney Island, maybe even historical Coney Island that Captain America and Bucky discuss in the movie Civil War. Or it could be changed to the amusement park area seen in the Spider-Man: Homecoming which possibly is supposed to be be part of Coney Island. Or it could be the amusement park area that Iron Man flies over in the first 2008 Iron Man. If they put all of the other attractions with Marvel stuff at them in the Hollywood Land section however, it would make this area kind of separated from the other areas with Marvel stuff

So...Paradise Pier becomes an unimportant pier from Marvel? That's like having an area themed to a mall in Universal Studios because...uh...many Universal movies had scenes which happened in malls. Doesn't really work.

D

Deleted member 107043

Full ride-thru!!! Long hallway revealed!

I was hesitant to watch because I hate spoilers, but I'm glad I did. I'm sold.

The way the elevator's movement is synced to the new more chaotic scene pauses gives a bit of a Star Tours simulator effect! To me this ride experience looks superior to ToT and appears to be a winner!

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom