Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

yookeroo

Shhhhhh......can you hear that? That's the sound of money flying into Iger's wallet...

Who knew that Iger gets a cut of these type of events.

it sounds kind of fun. But I wouldn't pay that much for it unless it had an open bar*. Plus I'd have to buy clothes!

*Although avoiding an open bar before shooting guests up and down the elevator is probably a good idea.

Curious Constance

Who knew that Iger gets a cut of these type of events.

it sounds kind of fun. But I wouldn't pay that much for it unless it had an open bar*. Plus I'd have to buy clothes!

*Although avoiding an open bar before shooting guests up and down the elevator is probably a good idea.

Do you wear potato sacks most days, too?

Earl Sweatpants

On a serious note, do you really think Bob is involved in these types of decisions? Seems like he's be big picture stuff, not some dessert party they are having one night for three hours.
I highly doubt that he's even aware of this type of event, BUT, ultimately any financial gain made by the parks reflects good on him and his *ahem* annual bonus *ahem* thus, indirectly meaning he still stands to benefit from this event.

Earl Sweatpants

The really sad thing is that all of their ideas are $150/head Dessert Parties. It's like there's zero thought for anything else, just... "How can we make this event a $150/head dessert party??"
Exactly. I have no doubt the desserts will be delicious, but let's be realistic here. Its kind of just a slap in the face. They can really get away with it because its a "one time event", and people are probably more likely to look at it that way as opposed to realizing what they're getting doesn't justify the price tag.

Earl Sweatpants

Despite what you'd think, one-off events like these are not big money makers for the company. Hard to believe, I know, but there are people within Disney tasked with putting on cool events for hardcore fans and when you factor in all the costs involved with staff, food, security, and everything else involved with keeping the park open after hours they're probably lucky if they break even. It's more fun to be cynical though, I know. :)
While I agree this event isn't destined to break the bank, its still just a shame that it has to exist in the first place.

D

Deleted member 107043

Without a doubt there'd be a group of folks complaining if DLR management didn't mark the closure of ToT with some sort of special event for fans, especially considering how much outrage there was when the project was announced.

Earl Sweatpants

Without a doubt there'd be a group of folks complaining if DLR management didn't mark the closure of ToT with some sort of special event for fans, especially considering how much outrage there was when the project was announced.
But if you polled those same people and asked them if spending $150 for a 3-hour event was worth it, I wonder how many of them would say yes.

Rhino77

But if you polled those same people and asked them if spending $150 for a 3-hour event was worth it, I wonder how many of them would say yes.
Pricing can be used to achieve more than profits. make the price too low and you have capacity issues. Pricing it where they did likely means a more manageable crowd - and as someone else mentioned, only 21 can be the last to ride.

Besides, at 500 guests, an event like this generates $47,500 in gross rev (@$150 per), probably cut in at least half by costs, if Disney profits $10,000,000 annually, an absurdly low number, this events probable net income of a whopping $23,750 moves the needle a whopping: 2 tenths of 1%. This isn't even a blip on Disney radar.....

Earl Sweatpants

Pricing can be used to achieve more than profits. make the price too low and you have capacity issues. Pricing it where they did likely means a more manageable crowd - and as someone else mentioned, only 21 can be the last to ride.

Besides, at 500 guests, an event like this generates $47,500 in gross rev (@$150 per), probably cut in at least half by costs, if Disney profits $10,000,000 annually, an absurdly low number, this events probable net income of a whopping $23,750 moves the needle a whopping: 2 tenths of 1%. This isn't even a blip on Disney radar.....
Don't misunderstand me...I agree with you on the financial terms...but this event still feels like a slap in the face. Like someone at Disney thought, "How can we give guests one final chance to ride the Tower before we butcher it to death? I know, we'll throw a dessert party! Brilliant! And better yet, we'll charge $150 a pop and really up its notoriety by making it after-hours...its a can't miss!"

Rhino77

Yes, and the reality is, that no matter what direction they went, there is the inevitable bell curve of responses - 1% to 3% are going to be appalled. It is just a matter of which 3% they infuriate.....

Earl Sweatpants

Yes, and the reality is, that no matter what direction they went, there is the inevitable bell curve of responses - 1% to 3% are going to be appalled. It is just a matter of which 3% they infuriate.....
Well, I don't speak for everyone of course, but I would be surprised if there was a 1-3% group of people out there who would have been up in arms if Disney had simply decide to leave the tower be and create an entirely new GOTG attraction somewhere else.

Earl Sweatpants

Putting aside the merits of the Tower conversion, that’s not a bad price (in Disney-nomics) for dessert, live entertainment, and some last time Tower drops.
Well, its not...until you realize that's also the same amount as a full-day child's ticket to one park. But I guess for the die-hard ToT fans, no amount is too high. It will be really telling to see how well-attended this event ends up being.

GiveMeTheMusic

Putting aside the merits of the Tower conversion, that’s not a bad price (in Disney-nomics) for dessert, live entertainment, and some last time Tower drops.

I would disagree. Drinks are not included and the live entertainment is the same as regular day guests get, just with an added emcee (whoop-dee-doo!). For $95 I can treat myself to an amazing dinner at Napa Rose and get a drink. This party has no "real" food and no drinks and no special entertainment and they want $95? Girl bye

Rhino77

Well, I don't speak for everyone of course, but I would be surprised if there was a 1-3% group of people out there who would have been up in arms if Disney had simply decide to leave the tower be and create an entirely new GOTG attraction somewhere else.
True- but that is a separate decision/reaction. We are only talking about the reaction to the paid event vs whatever other option they would do for the final day/hours.

SSG

I would disagree. Drinks are not included and the live entertainment is the same as regular day guests get, just with an added emcee (whoop-dee-doo!). For $95 I can treat myself to an amazing dinner at Napa Rose and get a drink. This party has no "real" food and no drinks and no special entertainment and they want $95? Girl bye
The key phrase in my comment; 'in Disney-nomics'. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom