Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

SSG

Re: Marvel Store, wouldn't that be an exception since the shop is in a mall and not inside a park?

I think this is the clause:

East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

That suggests that a store can be a Marvel store since it isn’t an attraction. So I wonder if a gift shop attached to, say, the re-themed Tower can be a Marvel gift shop or would that be considered part of the attraction?

Phroobar

But hey, if they're gonna mention Disneyland at least now the ride makes "sense" to be where its at! /sarcasm

If this is indeed true, that's a MAROR "oops" on top of an already troubled existence.
Why couldn't they make us wear "protective" 3D glasses. Then they could keep the doors shut and project a nice space scene in the shaft?

Darkbeer1

Heck, just give everyone a VR Headset, and have them place them on after sitting down. No need to theme the actual shaft at all, just time the drops to the VR footage. No need for opening doors, etc. You will get both the visual and motion.....

Darkbeer1

OOPS, Disneyland can't have a Marvel Themed VR attraction due to the Universal Contract.

Here is a very good look at the actual wording of the contract and what it means...

http://orlandounited.com/2016/05/darn-marvel-contract/

>>“What about Disneyland?”

Here’s where things get sticky. Per the contract Disney cannot create virtual reality or simulator rides as part of the Action Universe. Now lets go to Section 10 to 12:

West of The Mississippi – any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi – permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

iv. East or West of The Mississippi – The foregoing permitted uses will be subject to the following marketing restrictions:

If the particular character is used by MCA (as defined above), such character will not be advertised or promoted East of The Mississippi, except by means of national Network buysof television, within printed materials such as brochures, or by print advertisements in periodicals directed to readers more than 300 miles from Orlando; and with regard to any of the foregoing permitted marketing, if the marketing is for a group of theme parks located both East and West of The Mississippi, the marketing shall make abundantly clear that the character only appears in the parks West of The Mississippi and shall not be subject to confusion on such point (such as would occur by visual inclusion of the character in a generic, multipark advertisement subject to a small print explanation of the parks where the character is present).

(b)If the particular character is not used by MCA, such character will not be advertised or promoted by means of (x) spot television buys, billboards, personal appearances, or print advertisements which are (y) viewed, located or primarily directed to persons within 300 miles of Orlando. In other words, regional (i.e. covering a multi-state geographic region) or national television or print media buys, or brochures would not be prohibited within such 300 mile radius.

Here it’s noted that characters can be used by other parks, not as an “Action Universe”, but have limited advertising opportunities. Marvel also cannot permit the use of the name Marvel as part of an attraction or marketing, this is why at Disneyland Super Hero HQ is the name for the meet and greet and it’s the Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend<<

Phroobar

Heck, just give everyone a VR Headset, and have them place them on after sitting down. No need to theme the actual shaft at all, just time the drops to the VR footage. No need for opening doors, etc. You will get both the visual and motion.....
It works for Magic Mountain.....Well, kind of. If your lucky your helmet works at all.

la-trb-six-flags-magic-mountain-new-revolution-20160326

Darkbeer1

It works for Magic Mountain.....Well, kind of. If your lucky your helmet works at all.

I have ridden it multiple times,and never had a real issue with the VR headset. During the testing phase, yes, I had a couple of glitches that got fixed, but not after that. I also like riding it au natural (no headset) on occasion as a purist.

Darkbeer1

Thinking about it,the new Tower attraction would have been a great place for VR headsets if allowed. They could hand them out when you board the elevator (basically the "stand on a number" area), and then collect them when leaving the elevator. That would limit the amount needed, and you could place charging stations in the interior hallway between the elevators, or just off the hallway for ease of the CM's. And add security devices near the store entrance (aka Shoplifting devices) to make sure they don't walk away. Heck my VR headset including Smart phone was $350, and that was with a good discount.

But since the Marvel Contract won't allow it, oh well.....

mickEblu

It really is a bummer, because the original building art looked much better with those added.

I dont remember what the original concept art looked like but I think losing that view at the top of the tower for another projection would have been a blow to the ride experience.

What I think would be cool is if they created a third and final show scene by making one of the existing show scene sets double sided. Like a hidden revolving library door and then of course it's easy to change whatever is happening on the screens. The last show scene could involve some reason for being shot up for the final drop.

Darkbeer1

Off topic, but interesting... I am watching the first night of the final table of the World Series of Poker, and one of the players is wearing a Rocket Raccoon Ball cap. (And I do like the hat, looks neat!)

The announcers are talking a lot about it.... I wonder, since it is on ESPN (Disney), are they told to talk about it????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom