Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I did not expect much by way of physical sets, because TOT did not have much by way of physical sets.

ToT had two scenes with two really nice sets that included projections, lighting effects and wind. For Mission: Break Dance not to come up with anything more elaborate than slightly dressed screens is embarrassing. It's like the Imagineers really wanted to use a motion simulator like Star Tours but were unable to so they shoe-horned that experience into ToT.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There is no such thing as an original idea. Everything is recycled.

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

Mark Twain

For example I've always thought that Treasure Island (1950s Disney Film) was the jumping off point for PotC. In fact there is a section of the film that discusses stashing their treasure in caves.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

Curious Constance

I was wondering that too.

And it appears the "reviews" people are talking about are just stuff like that; vague and rather pointless Tweets from the Tweeter.

There's no proof the Tweeter people have even been on the ride, they are just parroting what they've heard to keep their Tweet followers thinking they are still cool.

I could write a Twitter review for Guardians of the Galaxy too. Here's my review;

OMG just rode Guardians of the Galaxy and it is AMAZING! Kinda made me nauseous but Rocket made me laff! But where's the physical sets? #TP2000 #SoFancy #TheSportCoatMakesTheMan
I'd follow you

Curious Constance

ToT had two scenes with two really nice sets that included projections, lighting effects and wind. For Mission: Beak Dance not to come up with anything more elaborate than slightly dressed screens is embarrassing. It's like the Imagineers really wanted to use a motion simulator like Star Tours but were unable to so they shoe-horned that experience into ToT.
I think you just coined a new dance. I want to learn to Beak Dance!!!

vancee

I have a question why are so many people outraged (especially micechat forums) that there is no AP or Cast Member preview? If micechat never mentioned those "rumors" of the preview dates (which people unfortunately thought it was official, but didn't keep in mind it was a rumor) then I doubt there would be outrage. Just because you see a rumor, don't get mad when you find out it wasn't true.

When people saw this rumor (then the rumor not being true) and heard about Disney charging for a preview party, they immediately connected both together and complained that Disney was greedy.
Keep in mind that micechat rumors consisted of the walls coming down on the 2nd or whatever, but come to find out it didn't come down until more than a week or so later. There could be many reasons why Disney didn't do the preview (personally I think it's because of time, and they probably are going to be very close to the opening date).

The problem here is micechat is #fakenews, and spreader around false information to get people angered at Disney when they find out the rumor wasn't true.

(Excuse my grammar errors, I'm typing on the phone and am super tired)

Hatbox Ghostbuster

First, yes I am a fan of some of the what people are calling "original" WED attractions. However, I don't totally agree with this entire moral superiority over something spring boarding from a movie versus something from a general genre.

There is a right way of doing things though and a wrong way. Marketing deciding to mandate a quick change for a few bucks obviously is not an original. At the opposite end of the spectrum I find it extremely hard to turn around and say Tony Baxter's vision for DLP wasn't original because he threw Tomorrowland and the Jules Verne's IP into a blender. The Nautilus walk through doesn't suddenly lose its lustre because he didn't reinvent the entire wheel from scratch and write his own story about a steam punk oceaneer. I don't look to Indy and think this isn't as original of an attraction as Pirates because someone produced a movie of it first. Likewise I don't look to Mysterious Island and think it is bogged down in its tie to literature.

The same things apply in my mind to an IP when imagineers are actually let loose to create something from scratch, just because there is an end goal request (i.e. please make a cake, or use Star Wars) doesn't suddenly mean the process can't be as original as them spontaneously deciding to make a cake on their own. The problem is when the recipe itself starts being passed from on high, not the IP request.

People are laser focused on the IP, that's really not the main issue though. It's when the creative reins are too ham fisted to save a few bucks.
You are right, and I never intended to create a false moral superiority of "original" attractions.

To me, Indy is one of the best rides the park has. I've also ridden it's "original" clone at WDW and enjoyed it slightly less. I'm all for IP attractions that are done well and show off the truest extent of the imagineers creativity.

It would just irk me though if management feels that in order for an attraction to be successful, it must slap guests in the face with (fill in the blank latest box office smash).

Miceberg

Yeah, I'm confused about that too. If there are no CM Previews, how are all these CM's (I assume they are CM's) riding the ride and then Tweeting about it this past week?
Hourly CM's were not given the opportunity to ride. It may likely be due to recent leaks. Salaried CM's were allowed to ride with strict pinky swears not to talk about it. The tweets are probably coming from people with active imaginations.

lazyboy97o

There are two different types of Cast Member previews. Informal previews (not unlike a soft opening) where people can get on around their shifts to help with the testing. The other is a formalized, scheduled time for people to ride. The latter has long been considered a type of perk offered to industry employees, and one that Disney has been more restrictive with of late.

yookeroo

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. ‘Get out of here, baldy!’ they said. ‘Get out of here, baldy!’ He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

2 Kings 2:23-2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom