Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

mickEblu

"ANTZ. The Dreamworks/PDI film ends with the camera zooming out, and we learn that the ants live in the middle of Central Park, surrounded by tall towers. Had that taken place in California, The Hollywood Tower Hotel could easily have been one of those towers."

I'm not ready to let this go. So because a non Disney movie zoomed out at the end and showed that the ants lived in Central Park and were surrounded by tall towers, and if that had taken place across the country in another state, the TOT could have easily been one of the towers we see in the last second of a non Disney movie, this tells me that TOT fits with Bugs Land perfectly?

View attachment 205190

As someone who is very anti overlay I was embarrassed to read that line. Does anybody edit these things? This is why a lot of us get labeled as doom and gloomers because you have some people that complain about every little thing and back up their opinions with this kind of reasoning.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'm going to create a world-class very-popular theme park called Chaos World where there are no thematic connections between adjoining attractions.

And then watch fan forums explode with rage when they find some common theme that two adjoining rides have because that breaks the theme of 'chaos.'

Lol. The thing about 'chaos' is that anything goes. So a little harmony in theme in the midst of all the chaos would not actually be breaking theme.

lazyboy97o

"ANTZ. The Dreamworks/PDI film ends with the camera zooming out, and we learn that the ants live in the middle of Central Park, surrounded by tall towers. Had that taken place in California, The Hollywood Tower Hotel could easily have been one of those towers."

I'm not ready to let this go. So because a non Disney movie zoomed out at the end and showed that the ants lived in Central Park and were surrounded by tall towers, and if that had taken place across the country in another state, the TOT could have easily been one of the towers we see in the last second of a non Disney movie, this tells me that TOT fits with Bugs Land perfectly?

View attachment 205190
Bugs don't build high rise hotels, but one seen from a bug-themed land is not necessarily an anachronism because bugs do live amongst such buildings.

I'm going to create a world-class very-popular theme park called Chaos World where there are no thematic connections between adjoining attractions.

And then watch fan forums explode with rage when they find some common theme that two adjoining rides have because that breaks the theme of 'chaos.'
That's an amusement park.

D

Deleted member 107043

Like or hate it no other theme park operator but Disney would build a unique structure like MB. With competing parks dramatically stepping up their game over the past decade Disney P&R can't rely on the charm Main Street or the nostalgia of Pirates forever, so I think a cranking up the chaos a bit might not be such a bad thing.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
From an editorial on Micechat about the TOT:

"In many ways, the Tower truly was the rug that tied the park together, especially after the 2012 opening of Buena Vista Street. No matter where you saw it from, it just seemed to fit. It fit perfectly behind the Carthay Circle Theatre. And it fit perfectly when seen from A Bug’s Land, ironically not because of the film A Bug’s Life on which the land was based, but a competing studio’s film about ants – ANTZ. The Dreamworks/PDI film ends with the camera zooming out, and we learn that the ants live in the middle of Central Park, surrounded by tall towers. Had that taken place in California, The Hollywood Tower Hotel could easily have been one of those towers."

How does that rose colored glasses saying go again?

It makes sense though. When you are in A Bug's Land the angle and proximity to Tower Of Terror really makes it seem like you shrunk down. In a garden off to the side perhaps. The reference to Antz is odd but I get what the author is getting at. Of course it's easier to dismiss it and post tired memes for a laugh.

Suspirian

It makes sense though. When you are in A Bug's Land the angle and proximity to Tower Of Terror really makes it seem like you shrunk down. In a garden off to the side perhaps. The reference to Antz is odd but I get what the author is getting at. Of course it's easier to dismiss it and post tired memes for a laugh.

That doesn't discredit GOTGMB either since it has a garden as well

Curious Constance

You wrote the article, didn't you?

mickEblu

So they should of just said that it works because bugs can exist in gardens by hotels (more to say on this below) but to say it works because the movie Antz pans out and you see Central Park is extremely odd. When platforms like Micechat say things like that it takes credibility away from folks who actually have reasonable arguments because we all start to get lumped together as Complainers afraid of any change. Which then diminishes any voice we did/ or do have.

TBH I find the whole "Bugs live in California" argument really weak and that it has nothing to do with what the imagineers set out to do with DCA 1.0 or 2.0 for that matter. Its about the lowest level bar we can possibly set. Maybe if it was some sort of boring Land about indigenous California bugs that would make sense but it's a kids playground/ land that was added to DCA really fast because they needed something for young ones.

Anyway don't get wrong I think Bugs Land is a cool themed Land and I would much rather see TOT from there than the new ugly tower. I just think the Antz reference and "Bugs live in California" arguments are really weak and have nothing to do with the park or the intention of the lands inclusion in the park.

Last edited:

mickEblu

True. Same building, same effect. It's just a little weird to be in a nice garden with happy bugs with an alien fortress looming over head. Tower Of Terror was a little more subtle.

A lot more subtle.It worked aesthetically much better but thematically by degrees by default I suppose.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
TBH I find the whole "Bugs live in California" argument really weak and that it has nothing to do with what the imagineers set out to do with DCA 1.0 or 2.0 for that matter. Its about the lowest level bar we can possibly set. Maybe if it was some sort of boring Land about indigenous California bugs that would make sense but it's a kids playground/ land that was added to DCA really fast because they needed something for young ones.

To be fair though the Bugs in California thing worked better when Bugs Land was right next to the Bountiful Valley farm area. Yeah, it's a thin connection but it's something.

TP2000

Did the author really make the claim that TOT fit in perfectly with Bugs Land because of a ending shot of the movie "Antz"? Am I totally missing something? Am I the only one that finds that laughable?

I read that today too. And then I re-read it twice to make sure that's what I was reading.

It's not laughable, it's ridiculous.

But it is a pretty clever way to totally excuse seeing Tower of Terror looming overhead while waiting in line for Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, while at the same time rounding up the pitchforks and torches for the grand opening of Guardians of the Galaxy next week.
img_9701.jpg

If 20 years on the Internet has taught me anything, it's this... Never under-estimate the Disneyland fan's ability for excusing things they've grown accustomed to and raging against something that is new.

Travel Junkie

If 20 years on the Internet has taught me anything, it's this... Never under-estimate the Disneyland fan's ability for excusing things they've grown accustomed to and raging against something that is new.

I would alter that to say never underestimate a Disney fan's ability to excuse their point of view. The last couple of pages has been dismissing the whole article in question based on one poorly written analogy. Any writer will tell you they take lots of swings. Some of them miss. It was one miss in an otherwise well thought out article. The overall point is valid. TOT is a key component in tying the theme park together. The DCA redo included tying TOT into the backstory of the park. All of the references are gone and Disney knows it as they have been removing all references to that backstory from BVS. DCA is a far less cohesive park with TOT being removed. That is the point of the article.

But the last couple of pages has been dismissing the entire article and therefore the entire premise based on one phrase, one analogy that was poor. This entire thread is full of remarks from people who dismiss any argument that doesn't fit their POV. TP your last sentence proves it. You dismiss this as fanatics raging against something that's new. Are you even paying attention to the argument on the other side? This has nothing with it being something new. Absolutely nothing.

yookeroo

Theming is a rather loose term to begin with.

MK is a hodgepodge of themes that are themed by grouping them into 'lands'. But look at Frontierland that confuses Southern with Frontier. And how does the Haunted Mansion fit either Liberty Square or Frontier themes?

Or, take Adventureland. So... "Adventure" is a theme? Do you know the huge swaths of times and places in which 'adventure' can take place? All of the MK could have simply have been called "Adventure Kingdom" and there would have been no need for further subgrouping. Nevermind that Adventureland actually turns out to be Exotic Land, with 'exotic' defined as non-Western cultural stereotypes of the 1950's.

Did the author really make the claim that TOT fit in perfectly with Bugs Land because of a ending shot of the movie "Antz"? Am I totally missing something? Am I the only one that finds that laughable?

Your first mistake is reading a Micechat editorial. But, yeah, pretty funny.

It makes sense though. When you are in A Bug's Land the angle and proximity to Tower Of Terror really makes it seem like you shrunk down. In a garden off to the side perhaps.

I never got that feeling. That building would have to be 10x the height it is.

yookeroo

That's true if people in general. People have an emotional reaction to something and then cast around for ways to justify their reaction. But, yeah, it's really really true of Disney nuts. The wiser people realize they are reacting and haven't come by their opinion logically. The not-so-wise act more like Micechat. Antz? Seriously?

D

Deleted member 107043

That's true if people in general. People have an emotional reaction to something and then cast around for ways to justify their reaction. But, yeah, it's really really true of Disney nuts. The wiser people realize they are reacting and haven't come by their opinion logically. The not-so-wise act more like Micechat. Antz? Seriously?

I like that you used the word emotional, because for the most part that's exactly what these reactions are.

There are no written rules for how to design a Disney park or attraction, only tradition. The challenge Disney increasingly faces is how to uphold old traditions while innovating new experiences that will be relative to audiences not just today but decades from now.

TP2000

The DCA redo included tying TOT into the backstory of the park. All of the references are gone and Disney knows it as they have been removing all references to that backstory from BVS. DCA is a far less cohesive park with TOT being removed. That is the point of the article.

What references to Tower of Terror are found on Buena Vista Street? The only thing I can think of is the Silver Lake Sisters reference to appearing at the Tip Top Club on a poster above the Creamer n' Sugar counter in Starbucks. Did they already take these posters down? I rarely go into that Starbucks because it's way too busy and the lines are long.
img_9986-sm-wm.jpg

Where else on Buena Vista Street was Tower of Terror mentioned? I can't think of any other references elsewhere in the park. Mostly it was just a giant and weird looking building that loomed on the horizon and kinda made no sense to whatever winery, wharf, tiny bugs, ocean pier, desert highway, mountain airfield, etc., etc. that it visually intruded upon.

Curious Constance

My comments were not regarding the entire article. I zeroed in on that one line, because that was the only line, I found, to be totally unbelievable.

All of the concerns about the placement of GOTG, and theming, are all valid. It may not bother me as much as someone else, but I can't deny that it's out of place at this point in time.

But, it seems like he was reaching VERY far out there to make the TOT seem like it couldn't have been anymore of a perfect fit before. But if you have to reach that far, I think that kind of invalidates the point he was trying to make.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom