Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I have to say I'm impressed that they're putting some actual thought and effort into a part of the queue. If only the rest of the attraction was this unique and not so cheap and desperate I might be excited for Mission: Budget Cuts

nevol

If the story acknowledges it takes place in DCA, then why bother changing the exterior into something "alien" in design at all?

And why wouldn't the collector just use the Anaheim Convention Centre to display his stuff? :D

Nowhere else in California Adventure or Disneyland can I think of an E ticket that acknowledges its location in a theme park. They all strive to be believable locations and series of events in their story worlds. The fantasyland dark rides are in fantasyland, which is disneyland, and maybe mickey's toontown was built in Disneyland story-wise? But the rest-the best-don't stop halfway through, to say, "hey, why are we at disneyland?" You don't make it half way across the bridge in Indy and then look out at the folks going through ticketing. When the elevator doors opened in Tower of Terror, we were still in a hollywood hotel, and we were looking out at hollywoodland. I read about a year ago that they wanted to put an extension on the structure, and the entire ride was designed with this extended show scene of the vertical collectors museum in mind. When after the ride was announced, they found out that structurally or with their budget that wasn't going to be possible, they had to flip the script, deal with the elevator doors opening to the public rather than the collectors museum, and, like Iron Man at Hong Kong, break the wall, remind everybody that this is fake, and reference the fact that you're in a theme park. Why are the marvel attractions doing that? It isn't necessary.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Nowhere else in California Adventure or Disneyland can I think of an E ticket that acknowledges its location in a theme park. They all strive to be believable locations and series of events in their story worlds. The fantasyland dark rides are in fantasyland, which is disneyland, and maybe mickey's toontown was built in Disneyland story-wise? But the rest-the best-don't stop halfway through, to say, "hey, why are we at disneyland?" You don't make it half way across the bridge in Indy and then look out at the folks going through ticketing. When the elevator doors opened in Tower of Terror, we were still in a hollywood hotel, and we were looking out at hollywoodland. I read about a year ago that they wanted to put an extension on the structure, and the entire ride was designed with this extended show scene of the vertical collectors museum in mind. When after the ride was announced, they found out that structurally or with their budget that wasn't going to be possible, they had to flip the script, deal with the elevator doors opening to the public rather than the collectors museum, and, like Iron Man at Hong Kong, break the wall, remind everybody that this is fake, and reference the fact that you're in a theme park. Why are the marvel attractions doing that? It isn't necessary.
It's a Small World?

D

Deleted member 107043

Nowhere else in California Adventure or Disneyland can I think of an E ticket that acknowledges its location in a theme park.

When Star Tours opened the story was that an inter-galactic travel company called Star Tours was opening a space port in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. Similarly, as you mentioned, Toontown was said to have always been hidden behind Disneyland and was finally being opened to the public. This is a less obvious but both the monorails and the Mark Twain have (or have had) visible Disneyland USA markings on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mouse3268

http://nerdist.com/touring-disneys-new-guardians-of-the-galaxy-attraction-the-collectors-mansion/

Some of the items on display -

There were things that comic book fans might think they’d never see come to life, like Warlock’s Eye, Terrigen Crystals, and even a life-size Cosmo. (I had to look twice to make sure the Spacedog wasn’t real.) Included are artifacts like a Kree battle axe, as seen on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and objects from Asgardian lore.

The lack of Howard The Duck is disappointing.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

User RPaul on Micechat just shared
"Andy Castro @21royalstreet on Twitter is reporting that Mission Breakout has been designed to have a 10 year shelf span. After that it'll be replaced by a new IP. According to him, this is Chapek's new plan for the park and we should expect a lot more screen based attractions that can easily be switched out.

Can't say I'm surprised by this one bit. Hopefully Chapek either steps down or is removed from his position because he is not fit to be running Disney parks if this is his plan."

Will you finally stop defending this project? The man's plan, at least during his first year "in office," with no experience or respect for parks and resorts, is rumored to be opening attractions with a built-in shelf life, expiration date, when disneyland on the other hand is a collection of experiences that speak to human desires and stories and fables that span cultures and generations, in which longevity is the name of the game. The challenge and the beauty of theme park design is creating attractions that may not be the coolest thing in pop culture the minute they open, but those trendier things fade within 6 months and 2 years, while the attractions are just as cool 50 years later! No we have a guy heading parks and resorts who allegedly wants to open attractions for 10 years at a time, giving up completely on the challenge of creating quality, permanent experiences that contribute to a park's sense of place, furthering the theme park visitor's addiction and attachment to that space through nostalgia. Flip the (cheap) ride every 10 years and you forego nostalgia, forego quality, and forego the desires of your paying customers.
If the 10-year shelf life/IP replacement model is indeed true, then ol' Chap needs the boot and fast. What a horribly egregious way to look at the park's future...not to mention the reliance on screens.

GiveMeTheMusic

I think the GOTG:MB storyline is lame, but I will stick up for Iron Man at HKDL. Iron Man doesn't "remind everyone it's fake" - the storyline is that Stark Expo is set up at Disneyland and Iron Man is there greeting fans. You board an Iron Wing to enjoy a flight around Hong Kong and of course something goes wrong. Iron Man literally leaves his meet-n-greet at Disneyland to come save you. It's hilarious and a bit meta, but it actually works in context. The story is presented as "real", it just acknowledges your location as that's part of the storyline.

Phroobar

I think the GOTG:MB storyline is lame, but I will stick up for Iron Man at HKDL. Iron Man doesn't "remind everyone it's fake" - the storyline is that Stark Expo is set up at Disneyland and Iron Man is there greeting fans. You board an Iron Wing to enjoy a flight around Hong Kong and of course something goes wrong. Iron Man literally leaves his meet-n-greet at Disneyland to come save you. It's hilarious and a bit meta, but it actually works in context. The story is presented as "real", it just acknowledges your location as that's part of the storyline.
Except the graphics look like they come out of a Playstation 2. I've seen better CG in a Sharknado movie.

Twilight_Roxas

When Star Tours opened the story was that an inter-galactic travel company called Star Tours was opening a space port in Tomorrowland at Disneyland. Similarly, as you mentioned, Toontown was said to have always been hidden behind Disneyland and was finally being opened to the public. This is a less obvious but both the monorails and the Mark Twain have (or have had) visible Disneyland USA markings on them.
Then they extended the Star Tours plot with Star Tours 2 were Star Tours & the rebellion are in a secret alliance.

GiveMeTheMusic

Except the graphics look like they come out of a Playstation 2. I've seen better CG in a Sharknado movie.

The graphics looked great on the ride. Have you been on it? It's hard to see what they look like without 3D glasses in person and I had no issues with the CGI quality.

No Name

The graphics looked great on the ride. Have you been on it? It's hard to see what they look like without 3D glasses in person and I had no issues with the CGI quality.

I think many "online reviewers" watched the video without realizing it is 3D, and thought that what they were seeing is what the riders see.

On that note, when are media previews for Mission Breakout? Are there any? Pandora's were yesterday, which meant lots of pictures and videos, and lots of "online reviewers," admittedly including myself.

Curious Constance

I think many "online reviewers" watched the video without realizing it is 3D, and thought that what they were seeing is what the riders see.

On that note, when are media previews for Mission Breakout? Are there any? Pandora's were yesterday, which meant lots of pictures and videos, and lots of "online reviewers," admittedly including myself.

Here is MiceAges list of dates:

· May 2nd – The construction walls around Guardians of the Galaxy come down.

· May 20th – WDI Employee Previews & Disneyland Resort Cast Member Previews at Guardians of the Galaxy

· May 21st & May 22nd – Disneyland Resort Cast Member Previews at Guardians of the Galaxy

· May 23rd & May 24th – Annual Passholder Previews at Guardians of the Galaxy

· May 25th – Evening Press Party for Guardians of the Galaxy & Summer of Heroes

· May 26th – Press Event for Guardians of the Galaxy & Summer of Heroes

· May 27th – Guardians of the Galaxy officially opens for all park guests

Cesar R M

It feels like a little room with a dozen boxes in it. This is one moment where you'll see me begging for screens. They NEED to line the ceiling and back walls with screens that make it look as though this collection goes on forever. Right now the room is so small and unimpressive. This look is acceptable in the boiler room but there needs to be a more dramatic entrance than this! We'll all be stepping out of DCA's sunset blvd into THIS?

It is the lobby. yet it looks like a small corner exhibition space at a museum. Small rooms in the film or not, it should be grander. It lacks drama. Theme parks are full of heightened reality. The architecture here isn't dramatic. Argue with me all you want, I'm not going to change my mind. You think its fine, I don't. The world keeps spinning. http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/58288830.jpg Here's the lobby of the Field Museum in Chicago. Don't make me post an image of the atrium of the Guggenheim. All I'm saying is that there should be a grander entrance and a progression through the preshow rooms. In tower of terror, you had the guest lobby, rich with detail and warm lighting. This contrasted with the boiler room that was cool lighting, dark, and built with uncomfortable materials, operational-type machinery. In this case, the lobby and the boiler room are less contrasting than they were before. It isn't wrong to desire that this collection look more like a museum lobby, with a checkin desk perhaps, or a grand museum atrium. It doesn't even make sense that we'd walk directly into a corner collection of a museum right off the street. This is the establishing shot of the collectors museum. We should be introduced to the building program. We walk into a massive show building and the first thing we see is a tiny museum. Playing up the grandiosity of the lobby would further create opposition as the queue progresses... from a wide open space down to the tiny gantry lift. Indy does a good job of this, with low ceiling rooms leading into the vast center of the temple. They could have kept the queue close, occupying the front half of the room as they did with tower, and the ceiling as is, placing the screens and forced perspective techniques further away at the back of the room, to be more convincing. My mind wanders to the Toledo, Spain Cathedral as an example. They have a long tall atrium subdivided into different sections of the church. They could have had a 1-story semi-permeable wall set up, creating an admissions lobby of sorts, with the exhibitions in a more dramatic display beyond. As an architect and entertainment designer, and knowing what technology they have at their disposal, I'm sorry, I am not impressed in the slightest. We'll see how it looks when it opens but based on what I see right now, I am not in the least bit satisfied. http://static.thousandwonders.net/Toledo.Cathedral.original.15498.jpg
I honestly I just hope they dont copy the general design and feel of the Transformers queue...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom