Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

October82

I bet they do give it a new name. Because somehow people feel that the new name will make a difference? Sometimes I feel that I'm not like anyone else on this earth. I can't imagine someone getting worked up over something like this.

You're not unusual, but it's also not unusual to feel differently.

For some, California Adventure ultimately proved itself a worthy concept that resonated with them. There are many worse things to be passionate about.

yookeroo

I don't visit DL often and when I do I rarely spend much time in Fantasyland. If (and that's a big IF) they make the area more navigable and beef up the dark rides I might spend more time there. Turn Village Haus into a proper beer garden and I'd probably never leave. :D

My movement gains momentum (since the Skyway is no longer available, the Village Haus is an acceptable substitute.

I bet they do give it a new name. Because somehow people feel that the new name will make a difference? Sometimes I feel that I'm not like anyone else on this earth. I can't imagine someone getting worked up over something like this.

You may be in the minority on Disney boards, but I suspect you're part of a large majority of park goers.

Practical Pig

Park names (and logos) are a statement of brand identity - they are an indication of how the product that is being sold is intended to be perceived and what the long term direction will be.

I agree with this, while observing that "the long term direction" has become remarkably short considering the the drastic shift between the salvation efforts invested into DCA just five years ago and what's happening now.

Last edited:

SSG

It was a convoluted sound clip - probably suffered from some editing on their part. Kinda like the time when Jim says he's wondering how to write something about the Tron coaster which turns into an anecdote about a backstage tunnel... and they don't return to the coaster subject.
OK I listened to the podcast again and it's still unclear if Hill was saying that both DCA and HS are being re-named, or just HS. So I hit him on Twitter and asked. here's his answer:

Actually, it's both. Disney's Hollywood Studios will be rebranded once Toy Story Land & the Star Wars Experience are
officially up & running in 2019. What I've been hearing lately is the name that Marketing seemed to like -- Disney's
CineMagic KIngdom -- has been since passed over for Disney's Hollywood Adventure (which -- it is felt -- is a better
fit for all of the Star Wars-themed adventures this theme park will soon offer). And when it comes to Disney's
California Adventure ... The current thinking is that -- once all of the Marvel-themed attractions that are planned
for Hollywood Land & A Bug's Land are in place 10 - 15 years down the line, this theme park's actual ties to
California will be tenuous at best. Which is why -- around the time that Disneyland Park turns 75 -- you may see DCA
I've heard that one of the ideas on the table is to just eliminate California from the park's name
entirely so that the Disneyland Resort's second gate would just be known as Disney Adventure Park. Do keep in mind
that the really long plan here is that the Toy Story parking lot & the Simba parking lot will be repurposed
as space for attractions. Though whether these will be where the Disneyland Resort's third theme park is built or
a Blizzard Beach-style water park is something that Bob Iger's successor decides. More likely the successor of Bob Iger's successor.

BrianLo

If we re going to go ahead and throw theme to the wind, I would much prefer the Tron Coaster to Captain America.

Everything I've heard suggests more Gringott's (except hopefully good) and not a Tron clone for Marvel.

Tron was certainly a fun ride, but it's really not a hybrid dark ride (like Captain America is supposed to be). More a modern Space Mountain... which is certainly dark and a ride, but not in the traditional sense.

All of which is to say is I'm hopeful it's actually a much stronger ride than Tron.

mickEblu

Everything I've heard suggests more Gringott's (except hopefully good) and not a Tron clone for Marvel.

Tron was certainly a fun ride, but it's really not a hybrid dark ride (like Captain America is supposed to be). More a modern Space Mountain... which is certainly dark and a ride, but not in the traditional sense.

All of which is to say is I'm hopeful it's actually a much stronger ride than Tron.

I'm intrigued at the thought of a hybrid dark ride but also disapointed that's it's not more of a "traditional" Coaster like Tron for 2 reasons. 1) I feel that very often with the hybrid rides that the sum is less than all it's parts. 2) I feel like something like Tron that relies on speed/ motion ( as traditional coasters do) have more repeatability. Not to mention how those lights must stimulate the senses as you zoom by. I would take something like Tron over say Forbidden Journey any day.

Disclaimer: I have not rode Gringotts.

BrianLo

The Star Tours simulators would go in to an Americanized version of the HK Iron Man ride.

At least this isn't as silly as the usual fanboi belief: where it is kept in tomorrowland (the exact same problem of being separated from its land) and directly lifting the film (which we now know makes no lick of sense for anywhere but Hong Kong).

It still doesn't manage to get over the fact Marvel land is supposed to open in 2020 and contractually they can't steal it, even in a modified form, until 2022.

Sounds like armchair imagineering from Jim, not fully thought through at that.

BrianLo

I would take something like Tron over say Forbidden Journey any day.

Disclaimer: I have not rode Gringotts.

Did you mean to say Forbidden Journey? I'd take it over Gringotts, definitely. Not FJ though.

I don't mind hybrid as long as it's still a good coaster. Gringott's is a bad coaster and has predisposed people into thinking that's what hybrid has to mean.

D

Deleted member 107043

Park names (and logos) are a statement of brand identity - they are an indication of how the product that is being sold is intended to be perceived and what the long term direction will be.

This is true, but a new name won't change people's perception of the park now that the place is popular. I don't care either way, but to me DCA has a strong enough identity that I don't see what the point is in tinkering with the name now. If any Disney park needs a rebranding it's EPCOT. I wonder what the park's guiding philosophy/mission will be if they go this route.

mickEblu

Did you mean to say Forbidden Journey? I'd take it over Gringotts, definitely. Not FJ though.

Yes I meant to say Forbidden Journey. Don't get wrong, I think that FJ is the bigger accomplishment if you will, especially considering the queue but I think rides like Tron or Space Mountain are just good ol fashioned fun.

October82

At least this isn't as silly as the usual fanboi belief: where it is kept in tomorrowland (the exact same problem of being separated from its land) and directly lifting the film (which we now know makes no lick of sense for anywhere but Hong Kong).

If you're interested in selling park hoppers and multi-day stays, separated by park probably trumps separated by land on your list of concerns.

It still doesn't manage to get over the fact Marvel land is supposed to open in 2020 and contractually they can't steal it, even in a modified form, until 2022.

Isn't the exclusivity deal only for Asia?

HMF

So both DCA and DHS are just gonna become the "place for IP that doesn't fit anywhere else here" -style park like UNI?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom