Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

October82

I'll admit that it appears that the accents are helping although I ll wait to reserve judgment until we can see the final product. We haven't seen the front of the building since that first little reveal. Unfortunately every angle seems to look better then the front, so far. I just don't know what they can do to make it look like it wasn't a "hotel" before. What's that saying, "you can put lipstick on a pig..."

What has become clear is how little is actually being done to the exterior here. What we know about the plans about the time this was announced was far more ambitious than what is being delivered. The expectation here was that improvements to the exterior would be made with the aim of making it presentable to guests in the Marvel expansion area behind the tower. That looks like it has been cut along with a lot of the other exterior work that was credibly speculated.

It's becoming clear that the description of this as a new coat of paint and some pipes bolted to the outside is accurate. When you hear about apparently very little being done to the interior and how quick this is moving, it's clear this is a very low cost change.

dweezil78

What has become clear is how little is actually being done to the exterior here. What we know about the plans about the time this was announced was far more ambitious than what is being delivered. The expectation here was that improvements to the exterior would be made with the aim of making it presentable to guests in the Marvel expansion area behind the tower. That looks like it has been cut along with a lot of the other exterior work that was credibly speculated.

I dunno... it always looked like a buncha junk slapped onto the ToT to me. If anything, it seems like they're delivering exactly what they told us they would. Even down to the new fixture on the top right corner that's visible in the latest pics.

October82

I dunno... it always looked like a buncha junk slapped onto the ToT to me. If anything, it seems like they're delivering exactly what they told us they would. Even down to the new fixture on the top right corner that's visible in the latest pics.

Certainly by the time that model was finalized and publicized these decisions had been made. The earlier rumors (whether they're credible or not is an open question), included an enclosed queue, changes to the exterior of the drop shafts, and major improvements to the rear of the tower, none of which (obviously) have actually happened.

Independent of whether you believe those rumors, it's pretty clear that very little is actually being done here, at least to the exterior.

Last edited:

sedati

Maybe that is the same tower storywise. The old abandoned Hollywood Tower changed hands several times over the years/decades. Who would want to own a haunted tower? Perhaps an eccentric collector a rare antiquities who has fashioned the building to suit his own otherworldly tastes.

mickEblu

Not a very interesting permit, but note the title:

Received BLD2017-00894 KAI CHOW 1515 S HARBOR BLVD 313 (TOWER OF TERROR) Disney - Hollywood Land - PKG 1 - Guardians of The Galaxy Mission: Break Down/ B313 - Tenant Improvement: 1,100 sq.ft to add new fire rated wall for future maintenance/storage space and counduit for fire smoke damper.

Mission Break Down? I think Stephanie Berry is drinking again.

cheezbat

It's definitely a half-done job. Cheap overlay. It will still look like the Tower of Terror, just with crap slapped on. I love how the Disney apologists and Marvel fanboys are justifying this move. Sorry guys, while I'm sure it'll still be a fun attraction, this was a garbage move on Disney's behalf.

truecoat

The colors on the back side of the tower seem more muted than what we've seen of the front, at least in the photos I've seen. I kind of like them. At least the Harbor Blvd view of the tower is an improvement, so ... kudos for that, I guess.

I wonder if the front is more like the back now with the scaffolding going back up. I assume we'll see shortly.

britain

Tah. Key.

It would have looked better if they left those windows unpainted.

You're right! It's conceivable that a power plant / fortresses would have windows. What are these supposed to be now? Window-shaped divots? Unless somehow the storyline is that the Collector has painted over this building, this just looks bad.

Practical Pig

I wonder if the front is more like the back now with the scaffolding going back up. I assume we'll see shortly.

I hope so, Truecoat. I hope so. The cynical side of me suspects that the back was toned down so the Harbor view wasn't as garish, but cynicism is only one cut of this pork. My other chops are hoping that the partial frontal reveal we had was a test balloon to get public feedback to inform possible adjustments.

Jones14

How has DCA been doing in the Tower's absence? Have there been noticeable drops in attendance, lower guest satisfaction surveys, increased waits elsewhere, etc?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom