Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

Travel Junkie

A couple points:

1. For those arguing this will be a popular ride when it opens so stop complaining; it is already one of the most popular attractions at DCA. In terms of wait time it usually has the 2nd or 3rd highest wait time, despite having one of the highest hourly ride capacities in the park. Disney decided to re-theme what was arguably its 2nd most popular attraction at DCA. Say what you will about it, but one the new attraction smell wears off, I doubt it will be anymore popular than it is now. I assume they feel the increase in merch will pay for the re-do, although I don't know if it will be any higher in the after ride gift shop as opposed to putting the same stuff in World of Disney.

2. The tallest building in Anaheim will soon look something like this.
GOTGExt1280.jpg

3. I'm not an anti IP person and I doubt anyone here is, but this doesn't sit well because it is another example of something being placed where it doesn't belong and probably never will. It doesn't fit in with the rest of Hollywoodland now, most likely will look out of place from Carthay Circle, and if/when the rest of Marvel land comes, probably won't fit in with it either. This look doesn't seem to fit any of the other Marvel properties aesthetically besides possibly Asgard.

Disney defined the modern theme park and now they are chipping away the theme from theme park.

NobodyElse

I think the DCA Tower of Terror looks awesome!

I think our Tower has some nice individual exterior elements, but the over-sized cantilevered top section has always rubbed me the wrong way. I also think the lobby has really great design and theming. As others have mentioned, we really miss out on Florida's approach to the grounds, sweeping path up to the structure, empty pond, etc. That's enough to make it a less than ideal fit for DCA.

It would have been more expensive, but I almost wish they would have designed it to pay homage to one of L.A.'s smaller hotels, but dug a 50 foot deep pit to preserve the overall drop distance (and also surprise people expecting something shorter based on what they see from the exterior).

Pam Hates Penguins

Terrible decision.

Looks like crap. Screw you Disney.

I swear if they touch WDW's Tower I will revolt.

Don't worry. They won't. Sunset Boulevard takes care of that. If Sunset Boulevard wasn't there and TOT was crammed in a corner somewhere, they would have had it re-themed it as well.

It's time to start a new hashtag: #ThankYouSunsetBlvd.

Suchomimus

I have little love for TOT at DCA. It's ugly and cheap looking and the ride experience isn't particularly great or interesting. It doesn't hold a candle to the one at DHS, and the TDS incarnation is superior to it as well. DCA and WDS got the short end of the TOT stick for sure.

The new attraction sounds fun and more repeatable. I hope they keep some of the creep factor involved, as TOT is DCA's only "spooky" attraction. The exterior looks elaborate and so does the interior concept art. This is about the best case scenario for a permanent overlay that I can envision. Rohde is great at his job, and he won't leave any stones unturned, even on an overlay. Very much looking forward to the other attractions that will be announced in the future.
At least that stick could fit in a square hole; Disney was being lazy when they gave DCA and WDS DHS's ToT; leaving out great qualities; Disney is being lazy here with choosing not to expand their California resort so they wouldn't have to cram Star Wars Land and Marvel land in the two other existing theme parks, and not learning their lesson about putting pandering or specific pegs in opposite holes in their parks; even Superstar Limo at least was relevant in Hollywood Pictures Backlot's dated theming.

Old Mouseketeer

You didn't even bother to quote me.

Did I say you were "supposed" to look through my history? I clearly said if you're interested.

I've never had a problem with you, but since you want to exhibit "rudeitude," I don't have a problem with not running into you again. Take the speck out of your own eye.

Bye.

OK, I admit I was a little harsh. I'm sorry for that. The "suckitude" comment was especially egregious. But my point still stands. I offered a lot of context on IP in the parks, which you completely ignored. I know I haven't established my bonifides here. I haven't volunteered the particulars of the depth and breadth of my Disney knowledge or my experience in this industry. So you are free to doubt me. However, I think my analyses can be judged on their own merits.

Fact: Disney has spent billions of dollars acquiring numerous IPs and they are not going to let them lie fallow. Muppets, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, and ABC/ESPN are part of the Disney family now, and rented IPs like Twilight Zone, Indy, and Avatar will be for the life of their contracts. That's not "IP disease". That's business. No matter how much I may dislike it (and believe me, I do much of the time), that's reality. So the issue can't be "there is too much IP in the parks", but rather how good it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom