Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout announced for Disney California Adventure

dweezil78

Really hard to muster up any excitement over this one, but at the same time, I'm always reminded at how lame our ToT is when I visit Orlando so it's not a devastating loss if the original, superior version, remains at WDW.

Honestly, my biggest issue (aside from all the conflicting theming which will be around this and how weird it is they are doing the Marvel expansion all piecemeal like) is that people just don't have a strong personal attachment to the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. Sure, everyone I know loved the movie... myself included. But it's hardly proven itself to have a lasting shelf life and have a rabid crazy fanbase like we saw with Frozen.

Same could be said of Rohde's Avatar land at AK...but, at least that one comes with a tremendous amount placemaking opportunity with the world of Pandora which seems to be a very compatible with its surroundings at AK. Big difference between creating worlds not specifically tied to a plot line or characters (ala SWL).

Suspirian

While one could certainly look at it that way, I'm unaware of that being the official story (especially since A Bug's Land was built prior to TOT even being announced). But if there's a press release or something you can point me to, I'd be happy to read it.

I remember reading that somewhere but it could be false. Either way it really shouldnt be in the park.

Curious Constance

Really hard to muster up any excitement over this one, but at the same time, I'm always reminded at how lame our ToT is when I visit Orlando so it's not a devastating loss if the original, superior version, remains at WDW.

Honestly, my biggest issue (aside from all the conflicting theming which will be around this and how weird it is they are doing the Marvel expansion all piecemeal like) is that people just don't have a strong personal attachment to the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. Sure, everyone I know loved the movie... myself included. But it's hardly proven itself to have a lasting shelf life and have a rabid crazy fanbase like we saw with Frozen.

Same could be said of Rohde's Avatar land at AK...but, at least that one comes with a tremendous amount placemaking opportunity with the world of Pandora which seems to be a very compatible with its surroundings at AK. Big difference between creating worlds not specifically tied to a plot line or characters (ala SWL).

I'm sure it could easily be re-themed if needed a few years down the road.

BrianLo

"Star Wars Experience" is worse than "Mission Breakout," in my opinion, but yeah, they both are weak.

We know where I stand on SWE. I will say I'm much more on the neutral side of things with GoTG. I'm with @mickEblu that this is much more irreverent (going to keep borrowing that from Joe) than Star Wars. Not for love of the ToT or that I don't think it can't be improved, but on the visual intrusion aspect. The redesigned exterior looks like much more of a visual clash with DCA. Star Wars has original rides, more of an original location and proper sight lines going for it without the wholesale change of much of anything, just improvements for ROA and Fantasmic.

I wish we'd actually seen the greater Marvel prescece announced because I struggle to see how this meshes.

I'm sure the ride will be fun in the end, but like Frozen in Norway, I'm probably too neutral to care enough either way to wade through the 'lively' discussions going much into the future. I think it will be an improvement though in the end, but not enough that I want to actively argue one side or the other.

Have fun!

D

Deleted member 107043

Would also like to mention that A Bugs Land will make even less sense considering its supposed to take place within the garden of the Hollywood Tower Hotel

I thought it was an extension of the California farming theme from what's left of Bountiful Valley Farm (It's Tough to Be A Bug) and The Winery.

In any case, I won't lose any sleep if they remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

We know where I stand on SWE. I will say I'm much more on the neutral side of things with GoTG. I'm with @mickEblu that this is much more irreverent (going to keep borrowing that from Joe) than Star Wars. Not for love of the ToT or that I don't think it can't be improved, but on the visual intrusion aspect. The redesigned exterior looks like much more of a visual clash with DCA. Star Wars has original rides, more of an original location and proper sight lines going for it without the wholesale change of much of anything, just improvements for ROA and Fantasmic.

I wish we'd actually seen the greater Marvel prescece announced because I struggle to see how this meshes.

I'm sure the ride will be fun in the end, but like Frozen in Norway, I'm probably too neutral to care enough either way to wade through the 'lively' discussions going much into the future. I think it will be an improvement though in the end, but not enough that I want to actively argue one side or the other.

Have fun!

Star Wars Land is going into Disneyland. That in itself is my main issue, whether the sight lines are not intrusive, the rides are "original", etc.

As much as I don't like what's happening with ToT, I'll probably eventually get over it (it'll take some years) because I really don't have an emotional attachment to the park. I think it's safe to say I'll never get over what's happening across the way at the original.

D

Deleted member 107043

This is exactly how I feel. I'm fine with switching out ToT for GoTG in principle, it's where it's taking place is what seems awkward to me. More to the point, this bomb drop announcement raises more questions than answers on the specifics for the long-term strategy for Marvel at DLR.

One thing for sure though Disney certainly has successfully dominated the media in the local theme park market over the past year or so. First the massive SW Land expansion announcement, followed by news that a new resort hotel is in the pipeline, and now a ToT redo with a hint at a Marvel expansion for DCA in the near future.

Are the rumors of a Downtown Disney refresh still floating around?

Last edited by a moderator:

deix15x8

This seems like a massive eye sore. The ride mechanic will be the same, and I'd prefer the old hotel style to the Guardians of the Galaxy theme, but the exterior appearance is the issue. When we went to DCA last year the tower was visible from almost everywhere in the park. It looks fitting when viewed over the Carthay Theater. This is just a giant eye sore that will look like an industrial dump built along the property edge. It's almost like Disney is doing to themselves what Walt Disney most hated about the early days of Disneyland.

Suspirian

Idealy wouldve liked to see something a bit more retro futuristic. Maybe a bit updated so that is not completely out of touch with the IP but at least is a better transition that a giant space junk building

Bacon

Well I'll be! Do you know we're Facebook friends? lol
iu

Variable

This seems like a massive eye sore. The ride mechanic will be the same, and I'd prefer the old hotel style to the Guardians of the Galaxy theme, but the exterior appearance is the issue. When we went to DCA last year the tower was visible from almost everywhere in the park. It looks fitting when viewed over the Carthay Theater. This is just a giant eye sore that will look like an industrial dump built along the property edge. It's almost like Disney is doing to themselves what Walt Disney most hated about the early days of Disneyland.

Because the current building is a stunning archectectural beauty.

Variable

I just don't like the look of the building. It's looks like a Transformer. It's like someone just glued a bunch of random things on the side of the building. I prefer the simple look of the original or even better the Disney Sea version.

It has as someone said a mad scientist sort of look. Maybe the American Pickers will swing by and do some picking

mickEblu

But if GoTG is the first step in a long term plan then this isn't just about a single overlay of ToT is it?

But in the post I responded to you said ... "So much chatter about how poor this decision is and yet we all know it'll end up being a big draw for DCA, especially if produced at a high standard." "It'll" sounds like to me that you are referring to the GOTG overlay itself and not the future Marvel plans as a whole.

mickEblu

And to the above, I would much rather base an opinion on what we do know than what we don't. And what I do know is that a Guardians of the Galaxy ride is being shoehorned into a haunted hotel and they re turning it into some ugly looking power plant. So if this new tower someday fits into its new Marvel land surroundings and the whole land looks like a dirty city or ugly power plants ... that doesn't sound too exciting for me. But that's my opinion. The same way I don't appreciate the desert motif (condor flats) at a theme park. Dirty city and power plants don't really do it for me. Not my idea of escapism

The rides will probably be great, well the new rides anyway. But I don't think I will appreciate the theming of the land based on what I'm seeing from the GOTG Concept art.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom