Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphlaw

I don't think UofE could have been easily made into a better ride. As I understand it, the ride mechanism itself could not be sped up, and it was far too slow to wow people today. I suppose faster moving scenes could have somehow slid past, but the speed of the ride dictated the interest that people would have had in it. Looked at with 2016 eyes, that ride was painfully slow. You also often had an unduly long wait just to get in. Queuing areas are so much more a big part of the attraction nowadays, and UofE wasn't cutting it anymore in that respect either.

I really think they didn't have much choice but to start over. Overhauling the ride structure while keeping the rest of the building would probably be more expensive than the bulldoze and start over method. It also would still essentially be the same sort of thing: A slow dark informative ride that doesn't cut it anymore. I just hope it doesn't get IPed into a trite retelling of the movie.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
20161001_175258.jpg
Welp..guess I better enjoy this while I can

OSUPhantom

Ugh...no please. This would show a severe lack of integrity in the person or people who made this decision to decide rather than invest in something creative and original to just throw in an unrelated IP and call it a day. If this is the case I will be very disappointed...

JustInTime

Anything is better than the current pre lesbian Ellen attraction. It needs to go. It should have been gone 10+ years ago.

JustInTime

Actually no "anything" is not better. But, thanks for showing how you care so little about quality and thematically appropriate attractions going into the park.
You know nothing about the ride going in it's place so that's a conclusion you are jumping to. Can't wait to see it bulldozed. :)

JustInTime

The ride coming is Guardians of the Galaxy. We've done this before with Finding Nemo and more recently Frozen. We know what to expect.
I think a guardians ride would be better than Ellen in its current state. The issue with nemo/frozen is that the old rides were good. They aged well. Ellen has not. It needs to go. As does imagination.

Goofyernmost

Anything is better than the current pre lesbian Ellen attraction. It needs to go. It should have been gone 10+ years ago.
Not sure what, if any, part of the show has any connection with the "pre" lesbian (if that is possible) Ellen or even why you felt the need to bring it up, since it has absolutely no relevance at all. But, hey thanks for chiming in. Do come back when you have something useful to say and not showing your colors, so to speak.

JustInTime

Not sure what, if any, part of the show has any connection with the "pre" lesbian (if that is possible) Ellen or even why you felt the need to bring it up, since it has absolutely no relevance at all. But, hey thanks for chiming in. Do come back when you have something useful to say and not showing your colors, so to speak.
as a gay man, i was making a joke. I adore Ellen. She just doesn't look like that at all anymore. Which contributes to the ride feeling dated. Which it is.

BrianLo

The ride coming is Guardians of the Galaxy. We've done this before with Finding Nemo and more recently Frozen. We know what to expect.

Not totally. This is much more of a Test Track/World of Motion scenario.

Even then, the quality gap between Nemo and Frozen is fairly sizeable. It seems most people would still admit they were a bit surprised by Frozen.

I'd say most people have do an expectation though, whether it is on the money or suits their agenda.

Goofyernmost

as a gay man, i was making a joke. I adore Ellen. She just doesn't look like that at all anymore. Which contributes to the ride feeling dated. Which it is.
OK, but, almost none of us looks like we did 20 years ago and I have to wonder why that matters. She looked like that for a long time after she announced herself anyway. People still religiously watch Gone With The Wind or The Wizard of Oz or It's A Wonderful Life and the fact that it is almost staggering how much different all those people look now, hasn't lessened their effectiveness in the films. The idea that Ellen looks different, or Alex looks different of Jamie looks different. (Come to think of it the only one that still looks really close to back then is Bill Nye.) (Must be something scientific that he knows about but isn't sharing.)

That thing that I have the most problem with is the forced labeling. Ellen is a lesbian! Who gives a crap! You are a gay man! Am I supposed to care cause I don't. Be whatever you are. I personally am a member of the male portion of the human spectrum. There is nothing else that anyone else needs to be part of.

JustInTime

OK, but, almost none of us looks like we did 20 years ago and I have to wonder why that matters. She looked like that for a long time after she announced herself anyway. People still religiously watch Gone With The Wind or The Wizard of Oz or It's A Wonderful Life and the fact that it is almost staggering how much different all those people look now, hasn't lessened their effectiveness in the films. The idea that Ellen looks different, or Alex looks different of Jamie looks different. (Come to think of it the only one that still looks really close to back then is Bill Nye.) (Must be something scientific that he knows about but isn't sharing.)

That thing that I have the most problem with is the forced labeling. Ellen is a lesbian! Who gives a crap! You are a gay man! Am I supposed to care cause I don't. Be whatever you are. I personally am a member of the male portion of the human spectrum. There is nothing else that anyone else needs to be part of.
The ride is dated. The film makes it feel dated because of the stars. It's set in future world. It needs to be updated. It's Disney's fault it hasn't been done sooner. I support a replacement at this point because the ride is bad. It's embarrassing. Again, it's justmy opinion but i am glad somebody at TDO agrees. Finally. The film should have been updated 3 times by now. Not to mention the animatronics.

Mike S

Not totally. This is much more of a Test Track/World of Motion scenario.

Even then, the quality gap between Nemo and Frozen is fairly sizeable. It seems most people would still admit they were a bit surprised by Frozen.

I'd say most people have do an expectation though, whether it is on the money or suits their agenda.
I meant it'll be another ride shoved in without any thought or care regarding placement.

BrianLo

I meant it'll be another ride shoved in without any thought or care regarding placement.

Is that your objective assessment? They don't think or care anymore? Maybe we just don't have enough information about what they are thinking.

Which doesn't mean it can or cannot meet the edutainment mandate of Epcot. I've learned increasingly the tizzy people here throw about change is to start with an over-reaction and take it back when the thing opens.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-muppets-present…-great-moments-in-american-history.911994/

Goofyernmost

The ride is dated. The film makes it feel dated because of the stars. It's set in future world. It needs to be updated. It's Disney's fault it hasn't been done sooner. I support a replacement at this point because the ride is bad. It's embarrassing. Again, it's justmy opinion but i am glad somebody at TDO agrees. Finally. The film should have been updated 3 times by now. Not to mention the animatronics.
OK, but, I would argue that it is set in current world not future. It hints to the future, but, mostly it is a what we know today type of show (with the exception of brain energy which, as of late, we seem to have completely run out of even before coal was used up)

The attraction is in Future World, but, like almost all of the attractions in Future World, it reflected the past and the current with minor hints at a possible future. The props or the actors, if updated, it seems, wouldn't make it more current even if the exact words weren't used in the script. Seems like a superficial way of judging it's date worthiness. It's the information that is important, not the looks of a box TV. Besides the only real difference between how Alex, Ellen and Jamie look now as opposed to then is the graying of the hair on Alex and Jamie, the loss of the mustache on Alex (and Jamie and Ellen for all I know) and Ellen's haircut. Seems like minor stuff when talking about dating for accuracy. Doesn't matter anyway, it appears to be about to join the ranks of history. It's to bad really, I loved the show and especially how they captured Ellen's performance personality. She was then and still is a very comical person with incredible comic timing.

Sort of the same way that "The Timekeeper" captured the essence of Robin Williams. Absolute genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom