Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatJaneSays

Do you think Avatar or GOTG will really have staying power a decade from now?
No one knows, but if I had to bet on Avatar vs GotG purely on IP recognition in 10 years time I'd take GotG hands down.

What happens when the whole comic book movie thing dies out? They are over saturating it to the point were we'll be sick of these things 5 years from now.
Comic book movies have been steadily and consistently growing in market share for 27 years (counting from 1989's Batman rather than 1978's Superman - because that one didn't really launch comic book movies as an independent genre). People have been saying the genre has been played out and on the verge of collapse since the beginning. Comic book movies have made it past the fad phase and into a proper nostalgia cycle. (What happens when James Bond, Star Trek, The Muppets, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or Harry Potter dies out?)

Remember when the Tronorail was running for 2 years after the movie was released? That will be how any attraction based on GOTG or Avatar will feel like long after the interest has waned.
I DO! And I loved every moment of it's existence! It kept Tron in the public eye and gave me hope that further expansions of the franchise were still being considered. (Fast forward to 2016 and Shanghai has a Tron coaster and lots of merchandise that people are buying at a good rate. It's keeping alive one of my childhood favorites and building my hopes again.)

HauntedMansionFLA

No one knows, but if I had to bet on Avatar vs GotG purely on IP recognition in 10 years time I'd take GotG hands down.

Comic book movies have been steadily and consistently growing in market share for 27 years (counting from 1989's Batman rather than 1978's Superman - because that one didn't really launch comic book movies as an independent genre). People have been saying the genre has been played out and on the verge of collapse since the beginning. Comic book movies have made it past the fad phase and into a proper nostalgia cycle. (What happens when James Bond, Star Trek, The Muppets, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, or Harry Potter dies out?)

I DO! And I loved every moment of it's existence! It kept Tron in the public eye and gave me hope that further expansions of the franchise were still being considered. (Fast forward to 2016 and Shanghai has a Tron coaster and lots of merchandise that people are buying at a good rate. It's keeping alive one of my childhood favorites and building my hopes again.)
Cameron and Avatar have several movies coming out in the coming years. The third Tron movie was cancelled by Disney - didn't make good money and ruined Test Trek. We will see with GotG and it's second movie. ( I wonder if we will see something that looks like the ToT building in the second movie)

FigmentJedi

Cameron and Avatar have several movies coming out in the coming years. The third Tron movie was cancelled by Disney - didn't make good money and ruined Test Trek. We will see with GotG and it's second movie. ( I wonder if we will see something that looks like the ToT building in the second movie)
Test Track is loads better with the Tron aesthetic. I never really liked the "Random PS1 Video Game" style of the original's music, the industrial aesthetic wasn't all that interesting, and the hosts were so dull and robotic for people that are perfectly fine with human crash-test dummies.

Last edited:

2351metalcloud

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/22/12256986/nasa-mission-patch-iss-guardians-of-the-galaxy
Groot and Rocket Raccoon are the stars of this year’s official space station lab patch

By Loren Grush on July 22, 2016

This year’s patch will make many comic lovers happy and very, very jealous. The adorableness is courtesy of Marvel, designing this year’s ISS patch to feature two of Marvel Comics’ beloved space explorers: Rocket and Groot. The raccoon / tree creature duo from Guardians of the Galaxy gaze up at the International Space Station as it flies overhead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Space
The attraction opened to the public in a "soft opening" mode in June 2003, and celebrated its grand opening on October 9 with a ceremony attended by Disney CEO Michael Eisner, HP CEO Carly Fiorina and NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe, as well as several NASA astronauts from its many phases of human space exploration (Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, the space shuttle program and two crew members aboard the International Space Station).

RobidaFlats

Let's begin our holiday shopping early and send a copy of this text to every Disney executive and Imagineer with oversight of Epcot:

https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disneys-Epcot-Center-Creating/dp/0810908190/ref=pd_sim_14_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51dAsoAO7RL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL480_SR366,480_&psc=1&refRID=9XKN6ZF5Y9M74T4P10SW

All that will lead to is them deciding that there is demand for the book. Then they will reprint it, set a high price and add a forward written by someone explaining how the current Epcot is a "fulfillment and improvement upon EPCOT Center's legacy".

Variable

All that will lead to is them deciding that there is demand for the book. Then they will reprint it, set a high price and add a forward written by someone explaining how the current Epcot is a "fulfillment and improvement upon EPCOT Center's legacy".

Someone named Joe? Last name begins with R?

Phil12

And World of Motion, much like most of classic Epcot Center's Future World, spent nearly all its time on the past (and of the future it showed, part of it was re-used Tron animation in the last speed tunnel.)
And I always enjoyed being able to see that the wind in the speed tunnels was created by common floor fans available at Kmart.
ba44dcb2-4961-475a-b6a5-1c75b98ebd97_1.c21e0c0f9842421cdd4a46c442d7d2eb.jpeg

FigmentForver96

And World of Motion, much like most of classic Epcot Center's Future World, spent nearly all its time on the past (and of the future it showed, part of it was re-used Tron animation in the last speed tunnel.)
And if you really knew what EPCOT Center was about then you would know some of the rides focused on the past because the park wasn't just about the future it was about the human achievement and how we could look together to the future. The future was what we made it and by seeing where we came from meant endless opportunities for ahead.

World of Motion used the footage to actually display futuristic ideas and the city of tomorrow type model. Test Track 2.0 is a pathetic example of trying to make the ride "futuristic" by adding touch screens, lots of blue lights and a computer saying "calculating". I like the ride, I ride it every time but it was one of the biggest bullets to EPCOT Center for the sake of thrill and needing to appease the young people.

Of course Epcot now will only be further watered down to display the latest and coolest IPs and the things that will make money. How sad that they would rip apart one of the crowing achivements or the Walt Disney Company. A project that had Walt's spirit flowing through it. No it was not a community but it sure was designed around the core idea that Walt believed in and that was to keep moving forward and that technology, if used properly, would make a better world. But the "Disney loyalist" can have their precious Guardians of the Galaxy" and Tron Track and whatever else they decide to destroy the park with. Calling these people Disney loyalist is actually being generous...more like brand loyalist. Disney loyalist are the ones who wish to see the Disney that took chances and made risks to do the impossible. That Disney has died like Walt and Epcot will soon join them. O how the mighty have fallen dear Epcot.

Anyway rant over

FigmentJedi

And if you really knew what EPCOT Center was about then you would know some of the rides focused on the past because the park wasn't just about the future it was about the human achievement and how we could look together to the future. The future was what we made it and by seeing where we came from meant endless opportunities for ahead.

World of Motion used the footage to actually display futuristic ideas and the city of tomorrow type model. Test Track 2.0 is a pathetic example of trying to make the ride "futuristic" by adding touch screens, lots of blue lights and a computer saying "calculating". I like the ride, I ride it every time but it was one of the biggest bullets to EPCOT Center for the sake of thrill and needing to appease the young people.
Test Track 2.0's premise of trying to design and test your car of the future is a solid one, and it's a nice way to try and engage guests in the subject of automotive design, but the problem is that the designing part isn't all that well implemented. Technical problems they've had with the design studio aside, how your car is doing just amounts to some score cards at the end of each test.

Last edited:

2351metalcloud

I wonder if they'd make a coaster like the TRON cycle coaster where you are seated like on a bike, but it's supposed to be like you are on a 'mining pod' on the planet 'Knowhere' from the first movie. In the movie, the characters sit in the pod similar to how people ride the TRON coaster.

6130a594003c50d4458cc79b5b999947.jpg

I think they should probably keep the theme of 'energy' for the area unless they plan to change all of Future World soon and get rid of the themes of the pavilions. It doesn't seem like they are going to however. They have already spent hundreds of millions of dollars on movies that go along with some of the themes. I guess they could make mining have something to do with 'energy'. But I think that might be less directly related to it than making a ride where you go with the Nova Corps and involves the Nova Force.

Although, the Nova Corps first appeared in a Fantastic Four comic so maybe they can't actually use them in Epcot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom