Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

asianway

For what though..?
Great question - I simply compare DCA to TDS given they were both built at the same time. They had one shot to develop the parking lot and they blew it. Sure BVS and Cars are nice, and so are the various placemaking projects theyve done recently, but the park is never going to be somewhere I personally care to spend even a day in on a trip.

Rodan75

I thought it was strange that Rhode posted a picture of some marvel villians...I think the Baddoon? It made it sound like it was random...but really?

PK2

FT6hd20.png

I don't like the idea of this, but I hope it's good. Much like the rest of you. I'm hoping this Epcot refreshment project is phased well and we don't see the walls of the future(TM) lining Future World.

And for new Imagination!, of course. I can see them splitting Future World into two subsections, with the focuses of East and West being very different. Could be done with some good outdoor theming and a good rebranding effort and would make more sense than throwing in Mahvel and making it suddenly scatterbrained, but hey, nowadays you kinda have to expect the latter.

SpaceMountain77

The area around ToT actually isn't becoming Marvel Land which makes the Guardians decision all the more strange.
MC%20Update%20Mockup%201080p-X3.png

From MiceChat and posted here in another thread by @TP2000.

There is another map in circulation suggesting that Marvel Land will cannibalize part of A Bug's Land, which will include the removal of Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies.

andre85

Kind of... Shanghais is a clone in all but theme.

Is the track layout actually the same? Didn't know that if so.

Doesn't really change my point though if it is; it's still unique to the US parks and remains one of the best water rides anywhere--and is one of the few original attractions left. I would argue the exact same of WDW's Tower of Terror too, despite its clones.

Last edited:

WhatJaneSays

And yet, Deadpool almost matched that worldwide with almost no brand recognition. Imagine how much money BVS could have made if it was good!
Deadpool has amazing brand recognition in the direct comic community and good recognition in the wider general nerd community. The vastness of it's success came mostly from the re-watcher segment of the audience that dominates the nerd community (which lends to many comic book movies being more profitable than other similarly styled movies), with the added help of practically no competition and a very inexpensive but well received ad campaign.

I didn't realize BvS defenders were still a thing...
I'm far from a defender. There were about 12 minutes worth of good movie wrapped in 2 1/2 hours of useless writing. It's .... maybe a solid C of a movie. Saying that a movie was profitable/more profitable than the previous installment does not equal saying it was a "good" movie.

The second time you snuck in right? You seriously paid twice to see that?

Tell me what are your thoughts on Michael Bay as a filmmaker?
I didn't pay either time, both were industry events. Bay makes interesting explosions and bad casting choices ... and that's about it.
____

Lets pull this back to the original issue at hand of "Comic based action movies always seem to share the same story of diminishing returns the more sequels they spawn" which is by and large the opposite direction comic book movies are trending. Comic movie sequels have a much better than industry average to exceed the box office of the original, and continue to do so over successive sequels.

So does that mean that Guardians of the Galaxy is a good IP for Epcot and is it viable long term? Many say no simply on the basis of more outside IPs going into Epcot, but that's already a moot point. Epcot has lost much of it's original "wide eyed wonder" factor and Guardians could display a better flexibility of theme than many other IPs (Marvel or not) if done correctly. A Guardians based attraction showcasing exploration and technology could fit right in and have the lasting power other "re-imagined" attractions at Epcot have lacked. Other options could be a disaster.

BrianLo

I'm far from a defender. There were about 12 minutes worth of good movie wrapped in 2 1/2 hours of useless writing. It's .... maybe a solid C of a movie. Saying that a movie was profitable/more profitable than the previous installment does not equal saying it was a "good" movie.

I do apologize because when I actually tracked back your conversation I was largely in agreement. Just couldn't let that comment stand in isolation, BvS doesn't deserve to have nice things.

BrianLo

I would love for the Epcot announcement to happen this weekend if only to see the reaction on Orlando United.

This was me with the Star Wars Toontown takeover. Alas, people are still convinced that was all made up.

This isn't an actual MiceAge map, correct? The Fantasyland expansion is off... They alluded to "more" in the pipeline still after all of this. My fanboi dreams are for the final early-mid 2020's to include Tomorrowland for DL, the Pumba lot/Bugsland for DCA, EVEN MORE parking structures and then turn the end of the decade to the third park.

It would seem that GOTG ToT will be DCA's Frozen Ever After.

Despite all the placement, capacity and IPCOT mess... I believe there is general consensus FEA largely was an improvement on Maelstrom. I wonder if that will be the case here and how that may change the opinions of this move. It certainly somewhat pales to the bad decisions surrounding FEA. Angst that it will happen to DHS aside.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Deadpool has amazing brand recognition in the direct comic community and good recognition in the wider general nerd community. The vastness of it's success came mostly from the re-watcher segment of the audience that dominates the nerd community (which lends to many comic book movies being more profitable than other similarly styled movies), with the added help of practically no competition and a very inexpensive but well received ad campaign.

I didn't pay either time, both were industry events. Bay makes interesting explosions and bad casting choices ... and that's about it.
____

Lets pull this back to the original issue at hand of "Comic based action movies always seem to share the same story of diminishing returns the more sequels they spawn" which is by and large the opposite direction comic book movies are trending. Comic movie sequels have a much better than industry average to exceed the box office of the original, and continue to do so over successive sequels.

So does that mean that Guardians of the Galaxy is a good IP for Epcot and is it viable long term? Many say no simply on the basis of more outside IPs going into Epcot, but that's already a moot point. Epcot has lost much of it's original "wide eyed wonder" factor and Guardians could display a better flexibility of theme than many other IPs (Marvel or not) if done correctly. A Guardians based attraction showcasing exploration and technology could fit right in and have the lasting power other "re-imagined" attractions at Epcot have lacked. Other options could be a disaster.

Do you think Avatar or GOTG will really have staying power a decade from now? What happens when the whole comic book movie thing dies out? They are over saturating it to the point were we'll be sick of these things 5 years from now. Remember when the Tronorail was running for 2 years after the movie was released? That will be how any attraction based on GOTG or Avatar will feel like long after the interest has waned.

Mike S

This isn't an actual MiceAge map, correct? The Fantasyland expansion is off... They alluded to "more" in the pipeline still after all of this. My fanboi dreams are for the final early-mid 2020's to include Tomorrowland for DL, the Pumba lot/Bugsland for DCA, EVEN MORE parking structures and then turn the end of the decade to the third park.
No idea. It was in the MiceChat thread in the DL section and I just copied it.

BrianLo

Kind of... Shanghais is a clone in all but theme.

Not exactly, the layout is quite similar, but there are some differences. Your point stands though that it is far from the being the definitive best. I'd never want it to go away in the immediate future, at least give it the Matterhorn AA treatment.

andre85

Not exactly, the layout is quite similar, but there are some differences. Your point stands though that it is far from the being the definitive best. I'd never want it to go away in the immediate future, at least give it the Matterhorn AA treatment.

No one argued it as the "definitive best"...

BrianLo

No one argued it as the "definitive best"...

Sorry, I agree then. I think it qualifies as unique to DCA. It's more than a case of Phantom Manor to Haunted Mansion. The two felt like different attractions even if they are similar raft rides. GRR has the clear benefit of 15 years of tree growth.

FigmentJedi

How does Discovery Bay fit California better than Paradise Pier?
Tony Baxter designed Discovery Bay as a steampunk-ier version of the San Francisco Bay area or at least somewhere in that part of Northern California. Taken from how Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea actually starts in San Francisco.

A better neighbor for that Pacific Wharf area then the Santa Monica Pier knockoff

Herbie

Tony Baxter designed Discovery Bay as a steampunk-ier version of the San Francisco Bay area or at least somewhere in that part of Northern California. Taken from how Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea actually starts in San Francisco.

A better neighbor for that Pacific Wharf area then the Santa Monica Pier knockoff

Not sure I can agree. I love 20,000 Leagues, but 20,000 Leagues San Francisco (and a steampunk version knock-off of that) doesn't scream 'California postcard' to me

Mike S

I did not know that. Carry on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom