News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Cosmic Commando

I'll say this: they wouldn't spend money on art if it didn't have some significance to the story.
I was super POed when I first saw the Polaroid... I thought it was just cringe-worthy pandering that would have nothing to do with the ride. A podcast that I listened to had an interesting point, though... the Marvel attractions take place in the real world that includes the parks that they're in. GotG in DCA has a story why it's there, and Rocket mentions seeing Disneyland. Iron Man in HK has a Stark Expo in Hong Kong and HYDRA attacking the actual city you're in. So I think that really will have something to do with the story, and I think it will take place in Epcot... not like you all of a sudden are on Xandar once you pass Mission:Space. What that means, however? I have no clue.

Dapper Dan

That's part of Peter Quill's back story but visiting Epcot and not seeing aliens is still very much in line with his character. The question is will they make this anything more than lip service to shoehorn an attraction, or will it be a genuine treatment. As what will essentially be a new build, there's little to no excuse for not making this a reasonable fit for Epcot.
"Feel the flow, here we go
through the Guardians of Galaxy"

This tie-in just writes itself.

trainplane3

GMR is hovering at 90 minutes while UoE is at 5. Then again UoE is a total people eater. Also, M:S is at 50. Haven't seen that for a long time.
sIIP7mj.jpg

Edit: The UoE loop playing on the bus to Epcot...the feels. The short 4 minute version I mean.

Last edited:

bclane

One projector was lit up and came back. The others went dark. No audio though.

Just got my last ride in and we broke down coming back into the main theater room. Had to be evac'ed off. They weren't letting people queue up as we were leaving.
Noooooooooooooo! We're planning to go this evening for one last ride. I sure hope they get things back up for the fans instead of just letting the old girl die.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it's the amusement parks themselves that are changing–not the guests. Between advancements in ride technology, an increase in guest attendance (attendance across WDW in 1980 totaled about 13.8 million, which is less than MK alone sees today) and the prioritization of getting as many attractions as possible done in the shortest amount of time (w/ the help of MyMagic and FP+, MagicBands, etc.), the culture of tourism at the parks is fundamentally different. . IMO, this is an attitude Disney has actively encouraged in its guests, and definitely not a mark of their increased laziness or poor health or anything else of the sort.

This commando attitude has been curated by Disney. By how they market... by how they package the product... by their reservation system and policies. It's why WDW stopped being a resort and instead became a 'all parks, all the time' experience.

This is a different system but, IMO, not necessarily...a bad one. I would argue that a 45-minute "edutainment" ride ran the risk of boring guests (and children especially) even in the 80s and 90s. A streamlined, modern edutainment ride clocking in at 10 minutes or less can still teach guests something if it chooses a specific enough topic, rather than trying to convey a huge topic on much broader terms within a 15+ minute time-frame. The use of actually relevant IPs (like Inside Out and Big Hero 6, which have been painfully underutilized in Epcot outside of meet-and-greets) could help.

Duration has little to do with tolerance if the engagement is there. The problem is when you don't update something for 10-20 years and your content is nearly 30 years old... it's no longer engaging. The issue is its HARDER to keep people engaged the longer the duration.. especially at volume. That's why the things EPCOT pulled off in FW in it's initial designs were so amazing from a theme park design perspective. INSANE capacities - yet people didn't feel like herded sheep.

The second major issue is 'the information age'. No longer is simply introducing people to visuals or 30,000ft history all that compelling anymore... because of the type of media people have at their fingertips on demand all the time. Now a days, you need to go deeper.. and going deeper requires the audience to buy in too.. and going deeper also risks conflicting views or lack of empathy. In short... it's harder because you need to go further, and not everyone is game...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
GMR is hovering at 90 minutes while UoE is at 5. Then again UoE is a total people eater. Also, M:S is at 50. Haven't seen that for a long time.
sIIP7mj.jpg

Edit: The UoE loop playing on the bus to Epcot...the feels. The short 4 minute version I mean.

They have separate green/orange queues that post differing wait times... so... why on the MDE is there just one wait time listed? Does that represent just the green or just the orange? or the longer wait? or the average of the two?

rocketraccoon

They have separate green/orange queues that post differing wait times... so... why on the MDE is there just one wait time listed? Does that represent just the green or just the orange? or the longer wait? or the average of the two?
I want to say it has always been the orange side that gets posted.

peter11435

I want to say it has always been the orange side that gets posted.
They always post the orange and it will always be the higher of the two.

trainplane3

Noooooooooooooo! We're planning to go this evening for one last ride. I sure hope they get things back up for the fans instead of just letting the old girl die.
I'd shoot for getting on it as soon as you can personally. It's been going down randomly in the MDE app this past week. Hopefully they'll keep it going past 7pm but they do have the signs promenatly displayed out front right now, "UoE operates until 7" or something like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom