1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardians of the Galaxy attraction confirmed for Epcot

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

Mission Breakout is a fun ride that's on an island right now. The backstory of the ride absolutely makes sense with the exception of the setting actually taking place in Disney California Adventure. That part is strange, but the tour of the Collector's collection is well within the universe that Guardians lives in.

It's a better ride than DCA's tower, but it's poorly paced. Frenetic rides (I'm looking at you Transformers) can still be fun, but looking at a theme park attraction as art, the better paced rides are generally better (Spider-Man vs Transformers is a good comparison for the same reason).

2. RSoxNo1

That's part of Peter Quill's back story but visiting Epcot and not seeing aliens is still very much in line with his character. The question is will they make this anything more than lip service to shoehorn an attraction, or will it be a genuine treatment. As what will essentially be a new build, there's little to no excuse for not making this a reasonable fit for Epcot.

PorterRedkey likes this.
  3. RSoxNo1

If it's a lazy approach like they did in DCA, then I absolutely agree with you. However, EPCOT Center is a place that would be right in Peter Quill's wheelhouse. I'd like to wait to see the execution before I dismiss it as lazy.

Turtle and CaptainAmerica like this.
  4. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

They're going to have to do A LOT to make Guardians fit in Epcot. I don't see it happening.
    Doesn't matter though, because the general public will eat this thing up and it'll become the most popular ride in the park.

I still hope they save and reuse the dinosaurs.

Mike S likes this.
  5. Movielover

Movielover Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, for a Marvel Fan like myself I couldn't be happier at the moment!

[​IMG]

Oh, I'm so sorry, I forgot that some people on here find this offensive...

Trigger Warning! :rolleyes:

6. articos

articos Well-Known Member

Both Tom and Joe are in the senior exec ranks. Tom is the lead on the entire Epcot project. Joe is the lead on anything to do with Marvel. Fun fact: not as well known as Tom having been part of the Epcot original team, Joe was on the opening team for Epcot as well, in the art dept, during his early years.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Wespionage, tfrog, El_Tomato and 13 others like this.
  7. articos

Right now.

8. the.dreamfinder

the.dreamfinder Well-Known Member

He worked with Herb Ryman on the Mexico pavillion.

Wespionage, El_Tomato, jt04 and 6 others like this.
  9. SpaceMountain77

SpaceMountain77 Well-Known Member

@marni1971 , in a word or a short phrase, are you now able to share the thematic direction for Future World?

10. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Different.

11. SpaceMountain77

No futurism, utopian thought, or showcasing of the wonders of enterprise?

PrincessJulia1207 likes this.
  12. RSoxNo1

Yes, I was deliberate in the "right now" wording. Do you think they adapt the self referentiality a bit when the Marvel land expands?

13. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

I don't think I saw anyone mention it but the 2 middle cars were back in the loading and unloading areas. So I guess technically all 12 are out, but they're still only running 4 car groupings. Maybe they're planning on all 12 in use for tomorrow? Would be nice.

My ride yesterday was pretty full and everyone was enjoying it. Only saw phones out to take pictures.

Also, Imagination had a solid 20 minute wait yesterday. And on top of that, everyone was having a blast, some even singing! It really makes me wonder what their reaction would be with a properly redone Imagination...

14. articos

Yes.

dreamscometrue likes this.
  15. articos

Yep!

Mike S and jt04 like this.
  16. RSoxNo1

Are you able to comment yet on whether or not "Peter Quill visited Epcot as a kid" will be more than just lip service?

Mike S likes this.
  17. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

They should have kept Energy open until the eclipse and then announce it had closed due to the lack of sunshine.

18. SpaceMountain77

No, the Universe of Energy should have remained open while the roller coaster and its housing were constructed behind it. When it was necessary to connect the structures and theme the queue and preshow, then it should have closed. It took three years to build an entire theme park, including intricate architectural details found in the World Showcase pavilions, but four years are needed for a roller coaster that uses one pavilion.

19. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Hopefully you can share more soon. I know you can only say what you can when you can but it's hard to understand what their goal is with Future World, and we're still left guessing on what's going into the UK ...

PrincessJulia1207, brb1006 and Mike S like this.
  20. trainplane3

trainplane3 Well-Known Member

There, someone else read my mind.

They haven't even cleared or laid a foundation for the building yet. While Cedar Point doesn't theme their rides, they can toss up a large coaster on a peninsula in Lake Erie in less then a year. The new RMC Mean Streak is their longest project in a while and that is going to be a year and a half for what is heavily modifying an old structure for a new ride, oh while exposed to the fun Lake Erie winters. It's not a fair comparison but in the mind of someone that wouldn't know better, Cedar Point looks better at adding new rides then Disney.

brb1006 and SpaceMountain77 like this.