Guaranteed Stateroom?

Ronniereb

Original Poster
We just booked a cruise for President's week, we were not assigned a stateroom but the message says because we chose a category with limited availability we will be assigned one when we arrive. Does DCL overbook with the assumption that some people will cancel? Has anyone ever dealt with this and been disappointed with cabin they received. I just like to read reviews in advance, that is my concern.

imahistorygeek

We've done the GTY rate twice. We've been happy with both. I think the key is to be ok with the category you've booked. If you receive an upgrade, great, but if you don't, you're still ok with the room selection.

dis_mike

It's a bit frustrating to not know where you'll be staying off the bat. Disney can wait to assign your stateroom up until the day you sail so it made me a little anxious :eek:. I logged into my account every day and we found out our assignment about a week out before our cruise. For some reason, they do not notify you so you've got to continue to check it. I ended up on Deck 10 of the Dream which, imo, is the best deck because you're just one level under all the action. It's great to be able to just take the stairs up one flight and grab something quick from Flo's. People do complain about the noise and we did hear the movement of deck chairs in the morning but it wasn't all too bad.

So yeah...if you're adventurous enough and are ok with the category then I say save a few bucks and go for it because I would definitely do it again.

Phonedave

I was "upgraded" on a GTY on DCL once, and actuall was not happy with it.

I had booked a oceanview - mainly because my one daughter was now old enough to actually open the verahdah door herself, and at that time she had no sense of self preservation. Well they upgraded us to a verandah anyway. That was not too bad - I can parent after all, it would have just eased my mind a bit. What really was horrible was they "upgraded" us to a verandah room over the nightclub. Nobody slept until the club closed every night. We called and complained almost every night - nicely, but still let them know nobody was sleeping, and DCL did try to make it right by giving us a load of gifts, and credits, and comps, but in reality what I wanted was a room that did not have a built in bass track.

-dave

pezgirlroy

I was "upgraded" on a GTY on DCL once, and actuall was not happy with it.

I had booked a oceanview - mainly because my one daughter was now old enough to actually open the verahdah door herself, and at that time she had no sense of self preservation. Well they upgraded us to a verandah anyway. That was not too bad - I can parent after all, it would have just eased my mind a bit. What really was horrible was they "upgraded" us to a verandah room over the nightclub. Nobody slept until the club closed every night. We called and complained almost every night - nicely, but still let them know nobody was sleeping, and DCL did try to make it right by giving us a load of gifts, and credits, and comps, but in reality what I wanted was a room that did not have a built in bass track.

-dave
Am I correct that there are child locks on the top of the doors to the veranda? and yes that is awful about the location.

Phonedave

Am I correct that there are child locks on the top of the doors to the veranda? and yes that is awful about the location.

Yes - unless things have changed, there is a lower lock that is basically the handle. You turn it one way and it is locked, you turn it the other and it is unlocked and you use it to slide the door open.

Then there is a seperate lock higher up. Maybe 5 feet off the floor if I recall. I don't know if I would call it a child proof lock, more like a small child frustrating lock. Its a know you have to grip and turn to lock / unlock. I doubt that a smaller kid could open it, but an industrious 11 year old -yes, with some work. Really, the rooms are safe, but sometimes as a parent you get that bit of worry. My daughter, at that time, had no fear, no sense of self preservation, and wanted to do and try everything - a great attitude, but made for some nervous parenting moments.

pezgirlroy

Yes - unless things have changed, there is a lower lock that is basically the handle. You turn it one way and it is locked, you turn it the other and it is unlocked and you use it to slide the door open.

Then there is a seperate lock higher up. Maybe 5 feet off the floor if I recall. I don't know if I would call it a child proof lock, more like a small child frustrating lock. Its a know you have to grip and turn to lock / unlock. I doubt that a smaller kid could open it, but an industrious 11 year old -yes, with some work. Really, the rooms are safe, but sometimes as a parent you get that bit of worry. My daughter, at that time, had no fear, no sense of self preservation, and wanted to do and try everything - a great attitude, but made for some nervous parenting moments.
Makes perfect sense. We will be on the Fantasy next April with my 7 year old and then 2 year old. This is enough to let me sleep at night as my only real concern is the 2 year old whole will not be able to reach. Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom