Guaranteed stateroom

tmitch

Original Poster
hello all, has anyone ever us d this category? Did you have a good/bad experience? Saw a decent price for a veranda room guaranteed but didn't know if anyone had booked this before and ended up getting less than wonderful room. Thanks in advance

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

imahistorygeek

Thanks @Tiggerish! :)

This was our first foray into the GTY, so we really didn't know what to expect. As for cost savings...I think it could be a hit or miss. We did not have a substantial cost savings, but there were some. We wanted the 5E category (due to the oversized verandah), but that the time of the booking only 5E GTY was remaining. We decided to take our chances.

It was a long, impatient wait, but it did pay off in the end!

Pros: maybe saving some $, upgrade (I hear it doesn't happen often, but it could)
Cons: If you like to know exactly where you are staying and want a certain location, deck, etc., GTY isn't for you. It's also possible that you will not receive a room assignment until really close (think a few days before) your cruise.

In all, it was fun and torturous. If we could guarantee these results (actually getting the category we wanted), we'd do this a lot more.

@lostpro9het Anything to add?

mikenatcity1

Hello!

I have done this for 3 ships (2 veranda and 1 ocean view).

Disney Dream- we did GTY veranda and ended up with an oversized stateroom with a wrap around veranda; Disney Wonder- we ended up with a better veranda than we thought (better class); Disney Magic- we were midship almost exactly- perfect location near the staircase and elevators.

Disney Magic- the stateroom was assigned 5 months before the cruise; the others were 2-3 weeks. If you are ok waiting and don't mind where you are on the ship, it's exciting to do this, (plus you save money!)

Phonedave

I was in a GTY outside stateroom (porthole) on the Dream. I WANTED a non-veranda room for certain reasons. I was "upgraded" to a veranda and placed directly above to dance club. I had to call guest services multiple times during that cruse because the late night dance parties were waking up my kids.

-dave

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I was in a GTY outside stateroom (porthole) on the Dream. I WANTED a non-veranda room for certain reasons. I was "upgraded" to a veranda and placed directly above to dance club. I had to call guest services multiple times during that cruse because the late night dance parties were waking up my kids.

-dave

Well, now I can imagine a less than wonderful stateroom! I wouldn't like being above or below a club, or even Cabanas for that matter.

tmitch

Original Poster

-dave
This was what I had feared when gty was explained to me

Phonedave

This was what I had feared when gty was explained to me

Honestly, the GTY was my fault. I had requested (and received) a frone facing porthole room on the Dream, but then had to change cruise dates. When I changed the dates, all that was available was a GTY porthole room.

I really did not want a veranda (I had cruised DCL with veranda rooms twice before) - my kids were at a point where they were getting older, and now were independent of each other, they both wanted to go off on their own at times, or stay in the room at times. I just felt better with a non-veranda room given that situation. Not that I think they were going to go over the edge, but it just made me feel better. Getting upgrade to a veranda was not a big deal from that standpoint, but the location was horrible. To DCLs credit, they did try to make ti right. We got a number of gifts, a comped beach package on Castaway Cay, and an onboard credit. I didn't ask for any of it, I just asked that the music be turned down - multiple times a night. I would call, the music would go down, and then 30 minutes later - it came boomng back. They apoigized many times.

-dave

EOD K9

Honestly, the GTY was my fault. I had requested (and received) a frone facing porthole room on the Dream, but then had to change cruise dates. When I changed the dates, all that was available was a GTY porthole room.

I really did not want a veranda (I had cruised DCL with veranda rooms twice before) - my kids were at a point where they were getting older, and now were independent of each other, they both wanted to go off on their own at times, or stay in the room at times. I just felt better with a non-veranda room given that situation. Not that I think they were going to go over the edge, but it just made me feel better. Getting upgrade to a veranda was not a big deal from that standpoint, but the location was horrible. To DCLs credit, they did try to make ti right. We got a number of gifts, a comped beach package on Castaway Cay, and an onboard credit. I didn't ask for any of it, I just asked that the music be turned down - multiple times a night. I would call, the music would go down, and then 30 minutes later - it came boomng back. They apoigized many times.

-dave
I was actually going to ask that question regarding the calls. My question would have sounded snarky, but not intended to be. What did you want them to do? Unfortunately, a club is going to have loud music. I'm glad they at least attempted to lower it and give you something being as they are the ones who put you there.

Phonedave

I was actually going to ask that question regarding the calls. My question would have sounded snarky, but not intended to be. What did you want them to do? Unfortunately, a club is going to have loud music. I'm glad they at least attempted to lower it and give you something being as they are the ones who put you there.

I wanted a full refund and an upgrade to a suite :)

Actually, some back story. This was on the Dream about a month or two after it went into service. They were still working out the bugs. Now, on something like a Carnival cruise, I expect a club. However, this is a DCL cruise, geared towards families. On a cruse line that caters to families, they should expect kids to be in every room and design accordingly.

The first night, I just dealt with it, and I talked to guest services in the morning. They actualy said that they had complaints before, and they were working with the DJ's to keep the sound to acceptable levels. They actually ASKED me to call whenever it was lound, so that they could tell the DJ to lower it. Apparently, the DJ would lower it, but then felt he needed more bass and would raise it again after about half and hour. I asked them if they could move use elsewhere - I didn't want compensation or a refund, just a quiet room, but it was a full cruise.

I ended up calling multiple times about the sound levels. I was allways nice about it, and they appreciated that I was not going ballistic over it. As I said, they kept comping me things over the course of the cruise. It in no way ruined our cruise, and I was not looking for any kind of compensation. However, with the prices you pay for DCL, I do expect them to address thinings like this. Not necessarly on the night it is happening, or even on the same trip, but I would hope the note it as a "delta" and work to improve it. It does sound like that is what they were doing, because they did talk to me a number of times about it. How loud was it, could I hear the music or just the bass, did it come and go with different songs, etc. A gust releations person actually came to the room with a numebr of questions she had written down and spent some time going over them with me.

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom