Ground Transportation questions

Megan Kelly

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me about ground transportation from the Disney resorts? We have three different families staying at three different resorts. Ideally, we would take the same bus to the port. Can anyone tell me if they pick up multiple resorts per bus, or do we have the option when doing online check in to select the resort of our choice for pickup? What's the best method to ensure we're together traveling to the port? TIA!

EOD K9

Can anyone tell me about ground transportation from the Disney resorts? We have three different families staying at three different resorts. Ideally, we would take the same bus to the port. Can anyone tell me if they pick up multiple resorts per bus, or do we have the option when doing online check in to select the resort of our choice for pickup? What's the best method to ensure we're together traveling to the port? TIA!
The bus will pick up multiple resorts. That being said, if you guys are spread across the property, you may not be together. They try to maximize the route and they will do the pickups from resorts in the same area. When I have made transportation reservations, I was asked where I was staying and the note was left under my door to tell me when and where. If you want to travel as a group, have you looked into getting a van?

Phonedave

The bus will pick up multiple resorts. That being said, if you guys are spread across the property, you may not be together. They try to maximize the route and they will do the pickups from resorts in the same area. When I have made transportation reservations, I was asked where I was staying and the note was left under my door to tell me when and where. If you want to travel as a group, have you looked into getting a van?

As EOD K9 said, look into private transportation (a van). Either rent one yourself, or call a car service. Remember, DCL transfers are per person, while most rental car and car service charges are per vehicle. You may pay a bit more for a vechicle that can hold your entire party, but if you are a large party, chances are it will still be much cheaper than DCL transfers for each person.

-dave

ChuckElias

I've never done DCL transport from the resorts, so I don't know if this is allowed. But could you all just meet at one resort and get picked up as a group from there? You'd have to drag your luggage on the WDW bus to the resort you're going to meet at, tho.

Phonedave

I've never done DCL transport from the resorts, so I don't know if this is allowed. But could you all just meet at one resort and get picked up as a group from there? You'd have to drag your luggage on the WDW bus to the resort you're going to meet at, tho.

I used a DCL transport once, from the resorts. I don't think I had to provide a resort reservation. I just called to arrange for the transport, and they asked me where I needed to be picked up from. I didn't book a land and sea package though, so that may make a difference.

-dave

Megan Kelly

Original Poster
Ok just completed my online check in last night (yay!). When do we select where we're getting picked up from for the ground transfer? I've done this twice before and have no recollection...just remember getting my cruise booklet and it had the info.

Megan Kelly

Original Poster
I used a DCL transport once, from the resorts. I don't think I had to provide a resort reservation. I just called to arrange for the transport, and they asked me where I needed to be picked up from. I didn't book a land and sea package though, so that may make a difference.

-dave

I am glad there is someone who has done this before! We have arranged to be picked up at a different resort than we are staying at. My question is, what did you do with your luggage - did they instruct you to have it to the resort by a specified time and location?

Phonedave

I am glad there is someone who has done this before! We have arranged to be picked up at a different resort than we are staying at. My question is, what did you do with your luggage - did they instruct you to have it to the resort by a specified time and location?

If I recall (it was a number of years ago) they showed up at your room to take your bags. You put your DCL tags on the bags and leave them in the room. Bell Services comes and collects them (early, like 8 AM) and then they show up in your stateroom on the ship

-dave

Megan Kelly

Original Poster
If I recall (it was a number of years ago) they showed up at your room to take your bags. You put your DCL tags on the bags and leave them in the room. Bell Services comes and collects them (early, like 8 AM) and then they show up in your stateroom on the ship

-dave

Yes I think you're right! But what if we are staying off property but have transportation arranged from a Disney resort? That's what I'm confused about! DCL can't seem to give me an answer either, they don't know when or where my luggage needs to be at the resort!

Phonedave

Yes I think you're right! But what if we are staying off property but have transportation arranged from a Disney resort? That's what I'm confused about! DCL can't seem to give me an answer either, they don't know when or where my luggage needs to be at the resort!

That's a good question, unfortunately I dont have an answer

At the very least, they should be able to put them under the bus when you get on, and then you would hve to give them to a porter yourself when you arrive at the port (just like any passanger arriving by car, rental car, or taxi would do)

NelleBelle

I would call bell services at one of the resorts and tell them you're staying off-property but have DCL transportation scheduled to pick-up from the resort and you want to know what to do with the luggage (explain DCL has not been able to assist). I've only taken the transportation to the port when staying on property so we just had our bags picked up from our room. We then had to meet in the lobby at a certain time and checked in with a DCL rep who checked out names off a list both in the lobby and then again with our passports/I.D. before we got on the bus (so they definitely have your name on a list from the resort you're leaving from)

mm121

-dave

that sounds scary, not sure i'd be able to trust disney like that. would really suck to get on the ship and find out your bags were still at the hotel.

personally i like to be in charge of my own stuff

Phonedave

that sounds scary, not sure i'd be able to trust disney like that. would really suck to get on the ship and find out your bags were still at the hotel.

personally i like to be in charge of my own stuff

DCL has a vested interest in getting people to use this service (it makes baggage handling much easier for them if they can bulk proccess it) so they make sure it works. It reality it is still only one step removed from "being in charge of your own stuff". Either DCL takes it at your hotel room at then routes it correctly, or you take it on the bos with you, and then you hand it to a purser in the street in front of the cruise terminal, who then throws it on a rack, and then it gets routed correctly.

DCL has a lot of checks and procedures in place to make sure baggage is handled correcty. It's not like Greyhound, where you get off in New Jersey, but your bag makes a slight detour through Canada before you get it back.

-dave

EOD K9

With one exception of driving my POV and one rental, I have used their transfers with much success. You generally leave your bags out the morning of your cruise no later than 8am. The special luggage tags are just like you would find on a flight with a barcode. They end up at your stateroom like clockwork. I've even threw a barcode tag on a box of diapers and it made it to my room. I wouldn't worry too much. Just be sure to keep other identifiers on it as well as things you need immediately. Meds, camera, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom