Gringotts

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I got to ride it twice last week and enjoyed it, but it doesn't feel as innovative and ground breaking as Forbidden Journey (even though the underlying technology might be). I am not a big coaster fan so I like the coaster elements in this ride. I think it was a good choice to make something that was less intense the Forbidden Journey, Gringotts is a smoother ride that doesn't throw you around as much. A TM did tell me that you get more intense ride in row 6. First time I rode it, I was in 5, second time in 6 and the first big drop did feel more intense in row 6.

As for DA as a whole, I thought it was amazing. The reveal when you enter that land, even knowing what I was going to see, was just jaw dropping! I liked to stand near the entrance and here the gasps from people as the entered the land for the first time. I also think the two lands linked with HE creates a very successful and immersive experience. One thing I haven't heard pointed out before is that when you enter the land it feels at least 10 degrees cooler the outside, even in the area that is not covered. Probably a result of the high buildings and all the shop doors open.

StageFrenzy

Rode it last week and I feel like it was a little overhyped. I hate the picture thing to be honest but the elevator was cool. The ride itself was fun but not what I expected. There were parts where it stopped to much and I never felt like i got into it. A little underwhelming f you ask me. The land though.....whole other story
For the picture just walk towards it then audible back to the line.

JT3000

To me it just didn't improve the experience at all. Ill stand there so I can pay twenty bucks for it. They could have added it to the ride easily

It's for a bank ID. They wanted a portrait, which they couldn't have gotten on the ride. I'm not a fan of the idea, but at least they're efficient about it.

Frankie The Beer

Didn't live up to the hype. Not saying its bad, just wasn't as great as some made it out to be. Nice that the wait times have diminished substantially.

Nick Wilde

I feel like that is a pretty spot on review, as far as overhyped at least it delivered more than Antarctica at SW. What did you think of DA?
I have not been to SeaWorld since 2012, and DA....Hmmmm... my first response was, "This is smaller than I expected." I expected it to be almost as big as Hogsmeade, with a 400 mil budget. HE is AMAZING. I hated having to walk all the way out of the park, past HR and NBA City and all the way to the other park, on my already aching feet. HE feels.... kinda homey in that cozy little cabin. The seats are very nice, and I liked the ride itself. My biggest problem with DA is it seems to be a HP mall on steroids. With a ride of course.

Mike S

I have not been to SeaWorld since 2012, and DA....Hmmmm... my first response was, "This is smaller than I expected." I expected it to be almost as big as Hogsmeade, with a 400 mil budget. HE is AMAZING. I hated having to walk all the way out of the park, past HR and NBA City and all the way to the other park, on my already aching feet. HE feels.... kinda homey in that cozy little cabin. The seats are very nice, and I liked the ride itself. My biggest problem with DA is it seems to be a HP mall on steroids. With a ride of course.
Diagon Alley is actually bigger than Hogsmeade. It also feels like a mall because that's pretty much what it is in the stories at its most basic level. Where all the young witches and wizards go to buy their stuff. Gringotts was really the only possible choice for a ride in the Alley.

Nick Wilde

Diagon Alley is actually bigger than Hogsmeade. It also feels like a mall because that's pretty much what it is in the stories at its most basic level. Where all the young wizards go to buy their stuff. Gringotts was really the only possible choice for a ride in the Alley.
It feels a lot smaller than Hogsmeade, probably because I don't even enter any of the stores, to avoid the temptation. Also, I guess a lot of the $400 mil went towards HE and EFG, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

JT3000

It feels a lot smaller than Hogsmeade, probably because I don't even enter any of the stores, to avoid the temptation. Also, I guess a lot of the $400 mil went towards HE and EFG, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

I think the investment shows equally throughout the entire land. There's nothing that isn't incredibly detailed. The only thing I would've done differently is having another point of interest on the waterfront, because other than the train station, it's all facades. Either way, London/DA is considerably larger than Hogsmeade, even if you don't enter any buildings.*

*Knockturn Alley is "outdoors."

Mike S

I think the investment shows equally throughout the entire land. There's nothing that isn't incredibly detailed. The only thing I would've done differently is having another point of interest on the waterfront, because other than the train station, it's all facades. Either way, London/DA is considerably larger than Hogsmeade, even if you don't enter any buildings.*

A scaled down replica of the London Eye could've been cool on the waterfront.

Nick Wilde

I mean not actual size, but size compared to stuff to do there, besides facades and shops. And yes, I've been down Knockturn Alley.

JoeCamel

I think the 400M is the NFL budget that has been quoted so many times. The DA budget was less and we got more. Can't resist the dig - sorry.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Diagon Alley is actually bigger than Hogsmeade. It also feels like a mall because that's pretty much what it is in the stories at its most basic level. Where all the young witches and wizards go to buy their stuff. Gringotts was really the only possible choice for a ride in the Alley.

My only small quibble with DA is the choice to have a singing group as the "entertainment". While they were good, it just doesn't seem like it's what visitors would want to see. "Welcome to the Wizarding World -- we have singers just like you do, but they sing about Wizarding things!" Didn't do it for me. Some other kind of entertainment offering would be a nice addition.

I could also see, if they want a major expansion, a show set in the Ministry of Magic. Perhaps we could observe a meeting of, or become part of, the Wizengamot. But such a show would need a cast of live actors, and Uni doesn't do too many of those.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom